GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,430
2 members and 1,428 guests
FSUZeta, PGD-GRAD

Old 07-06-2001, 10:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Red face

This is a scary story. Actually, a ghost story! I love telling these stories!

At my school, my sorority house, the fraternity house next to us, and the fraternity house diagonal from the fraternity house next to us (I know, confusing) were owned by a "big to do" family in the late 1800s. There was a house across the street from us too but that burnt down a while ago. There were old Victorian houses, like our houses, all around them. One still stands today, across the railroad tracks from our house. It once housed another fraternity, who lost the house b/c of lack of brothers.

Anyway, my sorority sister's brother lived in that fraternity house at one point and had the room on the 3rd floor. One night, he was reading a book on his bed when he noticed the numbers on his alarm clock were going nuts. He reached to fix it and something pulled him back and held him against the wall. Whatever it was, it was pushing on his sternum so he couldn't really breathe all that well, as you might imagine. It held him there for like 30 seconds and then let him go. He was so scared, he ran out of the house and didn't return until the next day. I don't blame him. I wouldn't have gone back at all! My sorority sister can tell some stories about that house that her brother told her that are kind of freaky. That's the only story I remember that she told us though. Believe it or not!

[This message has been edited by ztafairy (edited July 06, 2001).]
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-06-2001, 11:05 AM

Send a message via AIM to shadokat Send a message via Yahoo to shadokat
Gosh, I'm glad I don't have any of these stories...SCARY, but fun topic!
Old 07-06-2001, 11:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to LeslieAGD
This isn't about my GLO, but the Sigma Sigma Sigma house on my campus is haunted. A boy named Henry died of lukemia in the tower room when he was a child and so he goes though the house turning the lights/tv/etc. on and off! One of the Sigmas told me that if they yell "Henry, stop it!", he will leave. Kinda weird!
Old 07-06-2001, 11:23 AM
GreekChat Member

In my sorority house, some girls claimed to have seen ghosts. The family's name was Ficklen and one sister said that she walked into one of the back rooms from the kitchen to get to her room and saw Mrs. Ficklen, or what looked like a mother figure, in the corner, folding laundry. Another girl claims she was sleeping one night in her 3rd floor room and says she woke up in the middle of the night and saw a figure over her bed looking at her but she went back to sleep. She thought it was a dream when she woke up but she wasn't really sure if it was real or not. I lived in the house and I never saw anything but who knows! I don't believe it until I see it with my own eyes!

Old 07-06-2001, 01:03 PM
GreekChat Member

I graduated from Univ. of West Georgia in '96. I've heard about the Wayne St. house...I think they changed the morgue part of the house (where all the tile flooring and body refridgerators were) into the kitchen. I've also heard that there has been a lot of "supernatural" experiences by both Brothers and guests there.
I think the "most haunted" Pike House is at the Univ. of Cincinnati...their house is registered as a historical landmark it's so old. I understand that it's been the home to organized crime bosses, city mayors, and all sorts of other amazing people. There are supposed to be all kinds of secret passages and hidden rooms throughout the house...in addition to all the ghosts that inhabit the place!
Old 07-06-2001, 01:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PM_Mama00:
Hey Pike....what school do u go to?

I dont go there, but the Pike house at Wayne State U. used to be a funeral home. So in the basement are all these caskets and stuff. I've never been there but a guy from my high school is a Pike and lives in the house. He's told me a couple ghost stories. Kinda freaky.
Why would they still have casket's in there? That's ultra-creepy. I would want those things out of my house! I mean, I realize that they're probably new and no one had ever been buried in one, but it still gives you that feeling...

------------------
Steve Corbin
Lambda Chi Alpha
Theta Kappa Chapter
Rose-Hulman Inst. of Tech.
Old 07-06-2001, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pike4Life:
Going back to what AmyCat said....I remember seeing a documentary or A&E show about Ted Bundy and they showed snippets of news footage with the newsanchors calling it the "Chi Omega Murders" because several of the girls were Chi-Os. I think he mainly targeted college aged women, many of whom were sorority girls, as his "ideal victim"...what a sicko.
I used to read "True Crime" novels, 2 of which were about Ted Bundy.
One was The Stranger Beside Me by Anne Rule and the other was
The Deliberate Stranger by Richard W. Larsen.
(The books are excellent and interesting, but you will be creeped out, also).

Ted Bundy murdered 2 Chi Omega women at Florida State University and brutally beat a 3rd, but thankfully, she survived. The books covered all of his crimes, but the Chi Omega murders in particular really gave me the chills. So creepy....

He did indeed target college aged women, and many were similar in appearance, straight shoulder length hair, above-average attractiveness, etc....

[This message has been edited by CutiePie2000 (edited July 06, 2001).]
Old 07-06-2001, 01:46 PM
GreekChat Member

ar my school (iup), there was a HUGE controversy in the 80's about this boy named Jack Davis who was found dead in the stairwell of our science building. no one knows how he got there... there are a lot of stories that circulate about him.. that his death was a result of a bad drug deal; that he died of alcohol poisoning and was thrown there... the weird thing is, there was a search for him ALL OVER CAMPUS and his body wasn't found until after the search was declared.. which means he was already dead and someone threw him in the stairwell to avoid conviction! this story was even on unsolved mysteries. there is more evidence and facts surrounding his death. some say he was drunk and fell into the stairwell (which is outside, and drowned b/c it rained for the next 3 days... but the story goes that alcohol wasn't even found in his system. my friend did a report on it, i'll ask her and post the REAL facts.

also, our ATO house used to be a funeral home. the ATOs have told me all kinds of stories about doors slamming, footsteps up the staris, glowing green lights... CREEPY!

------------------
it's hard being a princess...AGD
Old 07-06-2001, 02:14 PM

Question

The title of this thread is also
interesting facts of your sorority so I wanted to ask:

I noticed that Kappa Kappa Gamma and Alpha Xi Delta both have dark and light blue as their colors (with AZD also having gold for their colors) and someone once told me that initially, when AZD was first starting out, the women (of what became AZD) were then part of a local who wanted to affiliate with KKG.

However, through circumstances, AZD kind of took on a life of its own and ended up becoming its own National group, rather than becoming a KKG colony and chapter.

Are there some KKGs or AZD's who can verify this? Just wondering.

If so, I think it is quite interesting....
Old 07-06-2001, 02:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to amycat412
Yes and the Chi O Ted Bundy murders were IN the Chi O house, if I remember correctly.
Old 07-06-2001, 11:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Wow...this is a really cool post (especially hearing stuff from houses at ECU). Anyhow, I've got a few stories about our house. (I love old houses and their histories so I've got a few stories about ours)

Our house has a pretty strange history. It was owned by a Dr. Skinner in the 20's and apparently he dealt with schizophrenic (sp?) children. The scary thing is that he kept them in cages in the basement of the house. I know nationals had most of the cages torn down a few year ago because of flood damage but there's still one down there that holds the hot water heater. It's really creepy because it's made of scrap wood and chicken wire. The door is an old door that I'm assuming used to belong to something else. Can you imagine having to live in that? I've also heard that before they tore out the other cages there were still some old toys down there.

Also, when Dr. Skinner died he asked that all of his books be left in the house. So we have shelves of old medical journals and other old books. There's a book of poetry in the bookshelf where he had written in the margins that a particular poem reminds him of his dead son. I don't remember the exact date but he says it was ten years since the boy had died and he would have been 21. Anyhow, according to legend, a few years ago on the anniversary of the boy's death, one of the sisters was sober driving and she was sitting in the house waiting for the phone to ring (the house is really scary when you're there alone at night). So she hears a knock on the door and when she goes to answer it a young boy is standing there and he asks her if Joanna is there. At this time there was a sister named Joanna but she wasn't home so the sister told the boy that Joanna wasn't home. He insisted that she go look for Joanna and when she did he disappeared. The weird thing is that Dr. Skinner's wife was named Joanna. (I haven't looked into whether her name really was Joanna but this is the story that gets told).

There was also supposedly a nurse who hung herself in the attic and even within the past year girls who sleep in the "cubbie" part of the attic have been woken up to the sound of someone whispering in their ear.

I know the AOII house here has a really neat history and a lot of (very active) ghosts but one of them would have to tell you their stories because I don't know them well enough.
Old 07-07-2001, 12:06 AM
GreekChat Member

OK, I know this said scary "SORORITY" stories, but I have a fraternity ghost story to share.

When I lived in the Pike House in college, there was a story about a former owner...it seems that waaaaay back when, it was once owned by a professor of theology. He did not believe in doctors, modern medicine and such. One winter, his baby son got very sick and died because he would not take it to the doctor. Both parents, the professor and his wife, were VERY distraught from the child's death and never really got over it. The legend goes that this little boy and parents all haunted the house. We had an old intercom system in the house that was broken. Every so often, it would crackle to life and it would sound like a baby crying was coming over the speakers...it was VERY eerie. Some guys also said they would see the ghost of the mother walking down the hall towards the "baby's room" ...which turned out to be MY room. One guy even said he woke up one time because someone was pulling at his fee, and when he looked down he saw a kid pulling his toes!!!

WOOOOOOOOOO!!!! WHo you gonna call!!
Old 07-07-2001, 12:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Going back to what AmyCat said....I remember seeing a documentary or A&E show about Ted Bundy and they showed snippets of news footage with the newsanchors calling it the "Chi Omega Murders" because several of the girls were Chi-Os. I think he mainly targeted college aged women, many of whom were sorority girls, as his "ideal victim"...what a sicko.
Old 07-07-2001, 12:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PM_Mama00 Send a message via Yahoo to PM_Mama00
Hey Pike....what school do u go to?

I dont go there, but the Pike house at Wayne State U. used to be a funeral home. So in the basement are all these caskets and stuff. I've never been there but a guy from my high school is a Pike and lives in the house. He's told me a couple ghost stories. Kinda freaky.
Old 07-07-2001, 03:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AngelPhiSig
I remembered something small about our house...

Its pretty normal, but I call my new room, APT F, the haunted room. My one sister Piper lived in it alone this past spring. She had some candles on her dresser across the room, she went to light the blue one, and couldnt becuase the wick was buried in the wax, so she lit the red one. She fell asleep, and no one came into her room, and when she woke up she was scared to death because the blue candle was burning, and the red was out, like someone had blown it out.

Another story is (dood, its like 3:30 and my back is to my door, Im so freaked out... lol) well Piper slept with her door closed, and one night, she woke up and her door was open, and so she thought, okay someone came past and opened it to see if she was home, but she usually sleeps with it locked. So she got up and started to walk over to shut it and it slammed shut. Not like the draft in the house did it... but hard like someone was mad... (she didnt have any windows open either!) This makes me feel really safe in great APT F!

<3 Ali

------------------
"...A dynamic sisterhood of powerful and passionate women maintaining uncompromising principles, igniting positive change, and embracing individuality!"

Phi Sigma Sigma - Gamma Gamma Chapter
---
1-9-4-6 Doohretsis!

Tau Beta Sigma - Delta Omicron Chapter
---
Go Golden Chickens! I mean EAGLES!

There are only a few good things that came out of Clarion- Chris Kirkpatrick of NSync, Kurt Angle (Pre WWF!) and any PHI SIGMA SIGMA!