GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,146
2 members and 1,144 guests
PGD-GRAD, Xidelt

Old 06-17-2016, 03:54 PM
GreekChat Member

How to COMPLETELY LEAVE my sorority?

Hey, so I joined DPhiE last spring. They were new to campus and I was looking to join a group and it seemed like a great idea at the time. Due to a ton of circumstances, I transferred schools this past Fall and my current school does not have DPhiE. Since then, I've spent a year trying to get money from my chapter that they owe me for t-shirts and such that I never received. Literally a year of emailing them asking for my money back, and I'm really just sick of it. I'd like to completely leave the sorority, it was only a part of my life for one semester and even that one semester was not worth the money I spent on it. I've looked on a few threads for an answer to this and all I've seen is members encouraging the person to think about it and give it another go and so forth. But I'm completely sure in my decision; please, just tell me how to leave. What are the steps I have to take?
Old 06-17-2016, 04:21 PM

I would suggest contacting your National office by visiting their website. They will help you with the process I'm sure. I would also explain to them your situation regarding the clothing items you paid for but did not receive. They are most likely your best bet for figuring out the situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikiplus View Post
Hey, so I joined DPhiE last spring. They were new to campus and I was looking to join a group and it seemed like a great idea at the time. Due to a ton of circumstances, I transferred schools this past Fall and my current school does not have DPhiE. Since then, I've spent a year trying to get money from my chapter that they owe me for t-shirts and such that I never received. Literally a year of emailing them asking for my money back, and I'm really just sick of it. I'd like to completely leave the sorority, it was only a part of my life for one semester and even that one semester was not worth the money I spent on it. I've looked on a few threads for an answer to this and all I've seen is members encouraging the person to think about it and give it another go and so forth. But I'm completely sure in my decision; please, just tell me how to leave. What are the steps I have to take?
Old 06-17-2016, 04:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Just realize that you cannot pledge another NPC group at your new school. Changing groups is not allowed in NPC.
Old 06-17-2016, 04:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Contact the membership manager for your chapter at the International Headquarters. If you don't know who that is you can call headquarters, tell them your chapter and they should be able to put you in touch with the correct staff person. The staff person can help you disaffiliate if you wish to do so and answer any other questions you may have.
Old 06-17-2016, 09:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
Just realize that you cannot pledge another NPC group at your new school. Changing groups is not allowed in NPC.
I don't want to join another NPC group, I just want to leave the one I'm already in.
Old 06-17-2016, 10:36 PM
Super Moderator

Your sister kindly gave you advice pertinent to your sorority. Use it.
Old 06-21-2016, 02:04 PM

Send a message via AIM to shadokat Send a message via Yahoo to shadokat
Also note that the money you spent on your NM program, initiation and dues is non-refundable. If you purchased a pin, I would suggest you try to sell it to one of your sisters or have the chapter purchase it back.
Old 06-21-2016, 04:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadokat View Post
Also note that the money you spent on your NM program, initiation and dues is non-refundable. If you purchased a pin, I would suggest you try to sell it to one of your sisters or have the chapter purchase it back.
She may be required to return it. Some groups do that. I wouldn't presume what hers may require.
Old 06-21-2016, 04:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Don't you have alumna status since you transferred? Don't throw away your membership (a good friend is a DPhiE and they are a great org), but absolutely get the money you are owed back.
Old 06-21-2016, 05:57 PM
GreekChat Member

I am afraid that the chapter will likely NOT owe you any money back for chapter shirts that you ordered and did not receive before you left. Once orders are placed, the vendor generally doesn't credit a cancellation. And I am afraid that if you ordered shirts with DPhi E on them, and you are no longer a member, you are not entitled to the shirts either. Sorry...

How many shirts are we talking about?
Old 06-22-2016, 01:46 AM

Quote:
She may be required to return it. Some groups do that. I wouldn't presume what hers may require.
Shadokat is a member of her group, so she probably knows.

I'm guessing the shirts she referred to are event shirts or some such from a group order that she got charged for but by the time the order came in she was already out of the chapter and never received them. I'm sure the chapter could sell them to alumnae or the next semester's pledges and not lose money without screwing her over.
Old 06-22-2016, 02:05 PM

Quote:
As a DPhiE alum and active volunteer for nearly 20 years, I'm pretty sure I got this, but thanks. We had a member disaffiliate last semester and she received no refund and was encouraged to sell her pin back to the chapter. As for shirts, what do you want them for if you're disaffiliating? I'd say if you paid for them, they should give them to you.
Old 06-22-2016, 02:06 PM

Also to OP, if you're transferring, you do not have to disaffiliate. But you will be billed your per capita fees until your expected graduation date. To keep your membership active, you will have to pay that directly to HQs.
Old 06-22-2016, 06:16 PM
GreekChat Member

I said that about the pin as general info for anyone else who might read this thread.