GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Chapter Operations
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chapter Operations Share plans, ideas, and brainstorm problems related to chapter operations. Topics also include parliamentary procedure, national programs, innovations & etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,446
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, ageldarkz5086
» Online Users: 1,513
0 members and 1,513 guests
No Members online

Old 01-09-2014, 11:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Study Hours

My sorority has recently become a colony and we are going to try having mandatory study hours this semester. I was wondering how other sororities and fraternities kept track of their study hours. If you would like to offer any ideas or suggestions, I would be very grateful! Thank you in advance!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-10-2014, 12:07 AM
GreekChat Member

*Many of the Greek organizations on our campus use a single Big Binder that sits on the Circulation Desk in our library. Each organization has a divider with sheets behind it for members to sign their names and other information. I don't know what other organizations do, but our organization has a divider in the binder and each page in our section is labeled:

Name -----Date------Time In------Time Out-----Verified by

Sisters sign in when they enter the library to study, and then sign out when they finish studying. The sister in charge of scholarship checks the pages each week and signs off as needed. We work on the honor system, and it works really well for us.

Last edited by misscherrypie; 01-10-2014 at 02:36 AM. Reason: *Corrected from "All" because I was incorrect about that statement.
Old 01-10-2014, 11:06 AM

Study hours are a waste of time. They end up being social hours and annoying the crap out of all the people around them. Plus everyone's study methods are different. If you want to place a priority on academics, use positive incentives.
Old 01-10-2014, 11:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Study hours are a waste of time. They end up being social hours and annoying the crap out of all the people around them. Plus everyone's study methods are different. If you want to place a priority on academics, use positive incentives.
Our study hours are run by Order of Omega and are open to all fraternities and sororities in a few classrooms on campus. They're meant to be a silent study place if anyone needs to come in and study or do homework, and I think that they work. We have a Google Doc on a computer in the front of the classroom that you fill out with your name, time you arrived, GLO, and time that you left. They're not mandatory, at least for my chapter, but you can get points for them. In my opinion this setup is successful because there's no noisy distractions and they're voluntary.
Old 01-10-2014, 11:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsongirl View Post
Our study hours are run by Order of Omega and are open to all fraternities and sororities in a few classrooms on campus. They're meant to be a silent study place if anyone needs to come in and study or do homework, and I think that they work. We have a Google Doc on a computer in the front of the classroom that you fill out with your name, time you arrived, GLO, and time that you left. They're not mandatory, at least for my chapter, but you can get points for them. In my opinion this setup is successful because there's no noisy distractions and they're voluntary.
I like this idea. In most cases it ends up being like 33girl describes or people just lie.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 12-21-2014, 02:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Study Hours

My chapter uses My Greek Study, which is an app that does it all for us. A lot of other chapters have started using it at Alabama as well. Our members walk in to the library or any other location we made a study place and it knows they are inside and they can time themselves then.

Our scholarship chair gets a report every week that shows who did not reach their required amount or not.