GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,314
2 members and 2,312 guests
TLLK

Old 08-19-2009, 01:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Football Fan View Post
Panhellenic at Alabama is a long established system. Whatever the perceived faults of how things are done it has stood the test of time. For Kappa Delta it is a single letter chapter. Delta Delta Delta celebrates 95 years on campus in 2009.

Let us give some kudos to Panhellenic. With over 1400 registered the vast majority of those young women were placed. All groups took quota or above. Gamma Phi Beta had a record number of new members. Bid Day appeared to be a huge success with parents and friends visiting the chapters, some from long distances. All this is not accomplished without a great deal of planning and hard work both from Panhellenic and the chapters involved.
Thank you! I think this wraps it up.
Old 08-19-2009, 01:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Gamma Phi Beta in the news.....

Follow this link to read the Crimson and White news article.....
I am soooooooo proud of our girls!!!!!!!!!

http://www.cw.ua.edu/sororities-see-...ment-1.1816999
Old 08-19-2009, 01:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear View Post
Follow this link to read the Crimson and White news article.....
I am soooooooo proud of our girls!!!!!!!!!

http://www.cw.ua.edu/sororities-see-...ment-1.1816999
That's great! Congrats. I don't know much about the sororities there--as my posts show--but the girl in the article mentioned that this was a chance for GPB to catch up in size to the other houses. Are they a relatively new chapter on campus?
Old 08-19-2009, 03:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to WVU alpha phi
I was looking through Kappa's pledge list today and came across these names:

Blair Baskin, Little Rock, Ark.; Blair Beam, Birmingham; Korey Bednarz, Houston, Texas; Jamie Bell, Knoxville, Tenn; Blair Beskin, Atlanta, Ga

That's gotta get a little confusing! Especially for Blair BAskin and BEskin, poor girls!
Old 08-19-2009, 03:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleowl33 View Post
It may depend on the school... I've worked in the admissions office for a few years and while they do expect the "summer melt" (losing 30-80 incoming freshmen over the summer due to various reasons), if they found out that the student had deposited at another school, I think they would almost certainly rescind admission and keep the deposit. Putting a deposit on a school is like signing a legally binding contract to attend, so doing that at two schools is not a very good idea. The most comparable situation I can think of is when we advise a student on the waitlist to deposit at another school (and NOT depend on getting off the waitlist!). If it turns out we are able to accept him/her later in the summer, he/she just has to forfeit the other school's deposit and deposit with us. But there shouldn't be two deposits down at the same time at any point.
I did this. Put deposits down at both Pepperdine and Univ. of Washington because although I really wanted Pepperdine, we were still trying to figure out the financial stuff. I didn't want to lose my place at U-Dub if we couldn't swing Pepp. And I know I wasn't the only one amongst my friends that did this, in fact I think it's pretty common.
Old 08-19-2009, 03:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueCarnation View Post
That's great! Congrats. I don't know much about the sororities there--as my posts show--but the girl in the article mentioned that this was a chance for GPB to catch up in size to the other houses. Are they a relatively new chapter on campus?
I believe GPhiB was established on the Univ. of Alabama's campus in 1989. In the grand sceme of things, that is brand spanking new compared to some of the other sororities that had been on the campus for 60, 70 and 80 years prior.

I am just so happy for them!!
Old 08-19-2009, 03:32 PM
GreekChat Member

[QUOTE=Football Fan;1837421]Panhellenic at Alabama is a long established system. Whatever the perceived faults of how things are done it has stood the test of time. For Kappa Delta it is a single letter chapter. Delta Delta Delta celebrates 95 years on campus in 2009.

Zeta is also a single letter chapter and will celebrate its 100th anniversary in spring of 2010.
Old 08-19-2009, 03:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleMissGlitter View Post
There have been a handful of PNMs who didn't get their first choice at Alabama or Auburn and guess what? They transferred to Ole Miss. Since Auburn and Alabama have recruitment before their semesters starts and Ole Miss usually doesn't begin until the last week in August, it gives a student time to leave one school and head to another. I know of a PNM about 4 years ago who didn't get her first choice at Alabama and she did get that first choice here at Ole Miss. They just pay the fees for both schools and if they get their first choice they cancel their applications with the other school. If they don't get their first choice they come here and "withdraw" from the other University. I have seen it about a handful of times. But it does happen.
I also remember when I went through recruitment way back in 1996 (before they moved recruitment) there were two girls in my dorm who packed up and left and went to Mississippi State. They didn't get their first choice here so they figured they would get it at MSU. I personally don't agree with it at all. I can't believe some parents would even suggest or encourage it.
I heard from an advisor at Bama that two girls transferred to Ole Miss this year after they were released after the first round. Don't know if it's true or not but she is always completely on top of things and in the know.
Old 08-19-2009, 03:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nhfulmer View Post
I heard from an advisor at Bama that two girls transferred to Ole Miss this year after they were released after the first round. Don't know if it's true or not but she is always completely on top of things and in the know.
Isn't recruitment competitive there as well? Is it just a matter of degrees of competitiveness between the schools?
Old 08-19-2009, 03:51 PM
Super Moderator

recruitment at ole miss is very competitive-it's just that it occurs later in the semester and school has not begun yet, so the girls were able to transfer and attend this semester.
Old 08-19-2009, 03:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
recruitment at ole miss is very competitive-it's just that it occurs later in the semester and school has not begun yet, so the girls were able to transfer and attend this semester.
That's what I thought...But these girls think they have a chance even if they were cut at Bama? I would think word would get around, wouldn't it? Wow...
Old 08-19-2009, 04:05 PM
Super Moderator

it could be that they wanted abc sorority at bama, which did not invite them back. at ole miss they may want the same sorority, or another one might be deemed more worthy.

the likelihood of word getting around that they had been enrolled at bama, rushed, dropped out of rush and transferred to ole miss is pretty low. bama had over 1200 pnms on the first day of recruitment and ole miss will have a boatload too.
Old 08-19-2009, 04:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleMissGlitter View Post
There have been a handful of PNMs who didn't get their first choice at Alabama or Auburn and guess what? They transferred to Ole Miss.
I personally know 2 girls who left Alabama after an unsuccessful recruitment and transferred to Auburn the next year. One pledged. The other did not...and transferred again to a smaller school and finally pledged a group.

And I've heard of it happening, but it's certainly not a common thing.

When I was in school, I remember our "rush chairman" calling both our Ole Miss and Miss. State chapters to swap names of girls who had done this...PNMs don't realize there is a good bit of communication...and I'm sure even more now that there's e-mail.

Last edited by AnchorAlumna; 08-19-2009 at 06:10 PM.
Old 08-19-2009, 04:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueCarnation View Post
That's what I thought...But these girls think they have a chance even if they were cut at Bama? I would think word would get around, wouldn't it? Wow...

Word does get around but it just depends on the situation as to whether or not they will have a good recruitment at Ole Miss.

ETA: And yes we have called other SEC chapters in the past to check...
Old 08-19-2009, 04:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Does anyone what company took the Bid Day pictures for the sororities and if they are available to view online?