GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > News & Politics

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,257
2 members and 1,255 guests
LaneSig

Old 03-29-2013, 10:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ZetaPhi708
Things are Getting Tense

http://xfinity.comcast.net/articles/...REA-NORTH-WAR/
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-29-2013, 11:21 PM
GreekChat Member

It's just a matter of time, and I think it will eventually happen.
Trump For Prison 2024-2084 MAGA!
Old 04-03-2013, 08:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ZetaPhi708
I sure as hell don't want to depress or freak out all of my fellow GLO members on this site but, yea, this is getting scary: http://www.cnn.com/2013/04/03/world/...html?hpt=hp_t2

Just more of the same old rhetoric, or to paraphrase Doc Brown: "We are gonna see some serious shit.".
Old 04-03-2013, 08:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Honestly, I wouldn't be super concerned.

First, Un has little to no incentive to actually do anything threatening--and if he does, he should know by now that nobody has the patience to deal with him and will blow him and his country off the face of the planet before he can say 'nuclear'. China and Russia are their sole allies in the region (I don't count Iran...they're not regional); the PRC is at the end of their fuse with them and Russia doesn't want more instability. The DPRK tends to do this to get more money out of countries since they care more about building bombs than feeding their own people. Since the DPRK has shut down access to Kaesong, I'd say the odds of them doing something are slightly higher, but still not super likely

Second, militarily they are WAY behind. While the DPRK does have a sizable contingent of traditional medium range ballistic missiles, they don't have much in the way of long-range missiles that are reliable. None of their military technology has the range to reliably reach Hawaii, let alone the mainland US. They could do a quick strike into South Korea, but given the US's presence in the country + South Korea's military + the rest of the world's opinion, I don't think they'd last long.

Finally, don't underestimate China's role in all of this. China wants North Korea to remain weak for a few reasons--they're a buffer zone between the PRC and South Korea, and if the DPRK falls, hundreds of thousands of refugees will flood across the border into China, stressing government from the local on up. China also views the refugees as a national security threat, since they don't know who is just a refugee and who could be a spy.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Having lived in S. Korea when N. Korea started their nuclear testing, I would say this is probably a little more interesting to South Koreans than that was, but generally the South ignores this kind of sabre-rattling from the North. The amount of U.S. military assets in SK, as well as China's unwillingness to go to the mat for the North means that this is probably going to be a few tense days/weeks and then nothing. *unless* - and I saw this theory floated on a non-news site the other day...Un wants to get out and get himself exiled to Switzerland, where he's spent part of his life. Of course he wants to stay alive so he has to placate his older generals, but as soon as he "loses" a "war" to the South/U.S., he can get out.

Of course, the South doesn't want to be overrun with refugees either -- they saw the reunification of Germany and has decided they want no part of that.
Old 04-04-2013, 08:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Real thugs move in silence. Dude is bluffing.
~ Luke 19:10
Old 04-04-2013, 12:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyB06 View Post
Real thugs move in silence. Dude is bluffing.
Just because he's not moving in silence doesn't necessarily mean he's not "moving in silence".

Have you seen "Olympus has Fallen"? Great movie, if you haven't seen it yet. Kind of predictable, but I still thought it was good.
Old 04-04-2013, 12:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerfulgreek View Post
Just because he's not moving in silence doesn't necessarily mean he's not "moving in silence".

Have you seen "Olympus has Fallen"? Great movie, if you haven't seen it yet. Kind of predictable, but I still thought it was good.
hey, you!??

Olympus TV ads did look interesting, but I'm not really "movie guy" unless it's something wifey wants to see. Once there, I have a good time but movies are seldom my 1st entertainment choice.
~ Luke 19:10
Old 04-04-2013, 01:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyB06 View Post
hey, you!??

Olympus TV ads did look interesting, but I'm not really "movie guy" unless it's something wifey wants to see. Once there, I have a good time but movies are seldom my 1st entertainment choice.
Hey there.

Oh, I just love the movies. Well, if the two of you get some time for a "dinner and a movie" night, make that one the movie to see. You won't be disappointed.
Old 04-04-2013, 03:25 PM
GreekChat Member

I think it is just a bluff.Short of going nuclear, they don't have a chance against the joint ROK and USFK militaries. And if they did go nuclear, somehow I doubt Russia and China will stay out of it.
Old 04-04-2013, 04:44 PM
GreekChat Member

If NK goes nuclear do they really think that the US, China and Russia will stand back and not do something about it? He's really dumb if he thinks that. NK will be blown off the map.

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 04-04-2013, 05:16 PM
Super Moderator

I saw this on Facebook: "North Korea has won the toss. They have elected to receive."
Old 04-04-2013, 05:27 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't buy any of it. If he was educated in the west, he knows the truth about what the US is capable of and likely knows that China is not going to cause a literal World War III over this puny blood sucker, so they'd be hung out to dry. So he's saber rattling to increase his penis size. C'est la vie. But I am interested in the scenario where he is actively trying to bring down his country just so he can bail. Can you imagine being so cynical and self-involved that you would cause the inevitable deaths of THOUSANDS of people for your own purposes that don't even involve making money or gaining power?
Old 04-04-2013, 07:35 PM
GreekChat Member

I cannot imagine being that cycnical and self-involved. But I can imagine someone who has grown up in the twisted world that he has being so. I don't know if I buy that theory at all, but it was something interesting to think about.
Old 04-04-2013, 08:28 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
I saw this on Facebook: "North Korea has won the toss. They have elected to receive."
I keep saying that I'm tired of their bluffing - if they're going to do it, DO IT and get it over with!