GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,446
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, ageldarkz5086
» Online Users: 1,569
3 members and 1,566 guests
anglasyandext99, mlanderson

Old 06-20-2020, 06:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shirley1929 View Post
Disclaimer - not a DG, but a member of another NPC that I'm sure is watching and paying attention.

So, I totally get eliminating the courtesy invitation to an invitational round - I'm sure there are schools where there are SO many DG legacies, that there are great girls that are having to be cut because there aren't enough party invites for that first invitational round.

What I don't get is taking a legacy all the way to pref (where they WILL be on your bid list, so you want them...if you didn't you would have cut them before pref) and then not protecting them from getting a bid if they want it. I'm sure chapters will do this internally anyway (at least I'm guessing they will) but it just seems like poking a hornets nest to NOT protect them at that point. Can someone explain why that's a good idea to string a legacy along...?

Also, I agree with whoever said that DG should eliminate the mandatory RIF/REC requirement for membership. That seems to be the biggest barrier - SO many people who's families didn't do this before them have NO understanding of the process (even as many of us try to help them). It just seems like that's a bigger barrier to membership.

I should also add, I really liked what DGAlumna said - made me think about it in a different way.
Can someone answer my question in bold? I'm genuinely curious as to why that's a good idea (I'm trying to be objective)?

Because this was done seemingly "under the table" and with terrible timing I get why it's left a bad taste in many peoples mouths. But I'm trying to understand it all...
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-20-2020, 06:48 PM
Super Moderator

I agree with shirley on this.
Old 06-20-2020, 06:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenAnchor View Post
Respectfully, I do not think it is wise to speak on the ease of a process you do not know.
Oh, so it would be difficult. I stand corrected and will restate it, then; I think it ill-advised to introduce a major change in policy without allowing the input of the governing body of chapter delegates, especially given that it was stated earlier this has been discussed for some time, and was voted on by the Council last week.

ETA: I also agree with Shirley.

Last edited by SWTXBelle; 06-20-2020 at 07:23 PM.
Old 06-20-2020, 08:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Shirley: And this will be my only comment here - ostensibly because they will be educated prior to recruitment on the change and so will expect to be treated like any other PNM...which is the stated point of the change. Personally I think we did ourselves no favors when we added step sisters/mothers/grandmothers. So I would like to have seen just sisters and daughters be considered legacies...which would be pretty easy to understand and explain. The "steps" were too overreaching. IMHO
Old 06-20-2020, 08:43 PM
Super Moderator

I remember worrying about that when my group added 'steps'.
Old 06-20-2020, 09:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
Shirley: And this will be my only comment here - ostensibly because they will be educated prior to recruitment on the change and so will expect to be treated like any other PNM...which is the stated point of the change. Personally I think we did ourselves no favors when we added step sisters/mothers/grandmothers. So I would like to have seen just sisters and daughters be considered legacies...which would be pretty easy to understand and explain. The "steps" were too overreaching. IMHO
I would buy this if DG said "Ok, it's currently June 2020, and for Fall Recruitment 2021 we are implementing this change." But to make it within 2 months of when the vast majority of schools do recruitment, I think many of the chapters and the PNM's will not be fully educated here and the setting up for disappointment will be huge. This rush to implementation makes it seem ickier than it can/should be.

I totally get the concern with adding all the steps.

Last edited by shirley1929; 06-20-2020 at 09:08 PM. Reason: forgot end quotes
Old 06-21-2020, 08:25 AM
GreekChat Member

You're welcome to the people who thanked me for the video.

Since I'm not a DG, I can't see the main announcement in the member information. I'm curious if a DG would be willing to share a particular piece of information. I can see the use the word inclusiveness. Do they use the word equity in their rationale? Not equality, but equity?

Equity and equality are not the same thing so I'm wondering which term they are using when explaining their decision.

My recruitment story: My sorority membership changed my life.

Last edited by TriDeltaSallie; 06-21-2020 at 08:26 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 06-21-2020, 09:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriDeltaSallie View Post
You're welcome to the people who thanked me for the video.

Since I'm not a DG, I can't see the main announcement in the member information. I'm curious if a DG would be willing to share a particular piece of information. I can see the use the word inclusiveness. Do they use the word equity in their rationale? Not equality, but equity?

Equity and equality are not the same thing so I'm wondering which term they are using when explaining their decision.
Equal / equality, not equity.
Old 06-21-2020, 10:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXDG View Post
Equal / equality, not equity.
Someone sent me a PM and said the title is: "Diversity, Equity and Inclusion within Delta Gamma"

Equity is not equality. They are not interchangeable and have different objectives.

They specifically address "Diversity, Equity and Inclusion" at length in this video and how it destroys organizations. I'm not going to apologize for continuing to push this video because I think the average Greek woman has no idea what is coming to her organization once leadership starts down this path. It takes a bit for them to lay the foundation of the discussion, but once they hit the practical application aspects of it and how they've witnessed it play out people will understand why I'm pushing this.

For reference, this is a Christian and two atheists discussing this so this is not a religious perspective. They speak at length about the destruction it causes in the academy/high education, the new atheist movement, professional organizations, social clubs, etc.

Again, I'm going to give sorority leadership the benefit of the doubt that they have the best of intentions and simply don't realize what they are unleashing.

https://youtu.be/YDFL3xwEEG8

Old 06-21-2020, 12:37 PM
GreekChat Member

My own organization is completely immersed in it as well.

https://www.tridelta.org/news/take-a...gainst-racism/

Old 06-21-2020, 01:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Someone sent me a PM and said the title is: "Diversity, Equity and Inclusion within Delta Gamma"

Equity is not equality. They are not interchangeable and have different objectives.

They specifically address "Diversity, Equity and Inclusion" at length in this video and how it destroys organizations. I'm not going to apologize for continuing to push this video because I think the average Greek woman has no idea what is coming to her organization once leadership starts down this path. It takes a bit for them to lay the foundation of the discussion, but once they hit the practical application aspects of it and how they've witnessed it play out people will understand why I'm pushing this.

For reference, this is a Christian and two atheists discussing this so this is not a religious perspective. They speak at length about the destruction it causes in the academy/high education, the new atheist movement, professional organizations, social clubs, etc.

Again, I'm going to give sorority leadership the benefit of the doubt that they have the best of intentions and simply don't realize what they are unleashing.

I will apologize for having reference the words found in the Legacy document which only uses equal/equality and not equity. I have not seen the document that used equity but a sister PM’d me that it exists.

But you should be very careful where you get your “news” sources and I highly encourage the other Greek women reading this to research the people behind the video you posted:

Peter O’Fallon, head of the Sovereign Nations group whose 2017 conference at the Trump International Hotel in DC included these speakers:

https://www.wnd.com/2017/10/bold-pla...n-nationalism/

•Ambassador Alan Keyes, who filed the lawsuits against President Obama challenging he was not a natural born citizen. And when he lost that lawsuit, he continue to say President Obama‘a birth certificate was forged and that Obama was a “radical Communist”.

•Matt Vadum, whose life work includes the book “Team Jihad: How Sharia-Supremacists Collaborate with the Leftists to Destroy the United States” and the film “America Under Seige: Antifa”.

•Kelly Monroe Kullberg, a far-right Evangelical “celebrity” who got in trouble for running a network of Facebook groups that are Pro-Trump and Anti-Islam such as “Blacks for Trump” where she pretended to be black. How Christ-like.

•Rep. Tom Garrett, a one-term VA Republican who lost his re-election after it was discovered he had ties to Unite the Right, the white supremacy group that held the 2017 Charlottesville rally. He also misused his office for personal reasons and was subject to multiple House ethics investigations.

As with how we evaluate PNM’s and glean info from rec letters during recruitment, we know that you are the company that you keep.

Bottom line, the video you posted is from a far right-wing propaganda organization who promote, quite frankly, Anti-American ideas as they seek to discredit and destroy anything that threatens their white Christian supremacy.

Oh, and the other two men in your video ran a gigantic academic hoax, submitting 20+ outlandish papers for publication in an attempt to discredit academia.
Old 06-21-2020, 01:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXDG View Post
I will apologize for having reference the words found in the Legacy document which only uses equal/equality and not equity. I have not seen the document that used equity but a sister PM’d me that it exists.

But you should be very careful where you get your “news” sources and I highly encourage the other Greek women reading this to research the people behind the video you posted:

Peter O’Fallon, head of the Sovereign Nations group whose 2017 conference at the Trump International Hotel in DC included these speakers:

https://www.wnd.com/2017/10/bold-pla...n-nationalism/

•Ambassador Alan Keyes, who filed the lawsuits against President Obama challenging he was not a natural born citizen. And when he lost that lawsuit, he continue to say President Obama‘a birth certificate was forged and that Obama was a “radical Communist”.

•Matt Vadum, whose life work includes the book “Team Jihad: How Sharia-Supremacists Collaborate with the Leftists to Destroy the United States” and the film “America Under Seige: Antifa”.

•Kelly Monroe Kullberg, a far-right Evangelical “celebrity” who got in trouble for running a network of Facebook groups that are Pro-Trump and Anti-Islam such as “Blacks for Trump” where she pretended to be black. How Christ-like.

•Rep. Tom Garrett, a one-term VA Republican who lost his re-election after it was discovered he had ties to Unite the Right, the white supremacy group that held the 2017 Charlottesville rally. He also misused his office for personal reasons and was subject to multiple House ethics investigations.

As with how we evaluate PNM’s and glean info from rec letters during recruitment, we know that you are the company that you keep.

Bottom line, the video you posted is from a far right-wing propaganda organization who promote, quite frankly, Anti-American ideas as they seek to discredit and destroy anything that threatens their white Christian supremacy.

Oh, and the other two men in your video ran a gigantic academic hoax, submitting 20+ outlandish papers for publication in an attempt to discredit academia.
Did you watch the video for the meat of the content or only google ways to dismiss it?

Yes, the other two men (along with a woman) ran a massive academic experiment, not hoax, in order to expose what is going on in academia. It was widely covered by major news outlets and was highly embarrassing for the groups that got caught. I recommend watching the Joe Rogan podcast with them where they go through what they did in detail. It is appalling what passes for "academic writing" today and they are rightly concerned about it.

Neither of the academics are far-right. They are classical liberal atheists who are so concerned about the state of the academy that they will talk with anyone who will have a conversation with them. Even with people who they may disagree with in many other ways. That's a foundational value of free speech and the free exchange of ideas, something our country was founded on and depends on if it is going to survive.

People can watch the video and judge the ideas for themselves. To try to scare people away from it without dealing with the content is right in line with the very thing they talk about - shutting down conversation and making only one line of thinking acceptable. This is exactly what you have tried to do in not dealing with the substance of the content versus trying to frame the participants in such a way that you scare people off from it. People who want the truth will look for it everywhere.

I've said what I felt compelled to say. I've warned people and that's all I can do. I'm thankful I made it this many pages without being attacked or slandered for sharing another perspective.

Best wishes for each of your organizations as they navigate this.

Old 06-21-2020, 02:12 PM
GreekChat Member

What I see as a positive step forward, you see as a threat to the existence and ideals of your organization. On many fronts, our country is father apart than ever. I pray our next President will be able to help heal these wounds. And I agree with you that I hope our national organizations all know what they are up against - the movement forward will not be easy with so many unwilling to step out of the past.
Old 08-18-2020, 06:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
And I guarantee you that it will only be a matter of time before NPC organizations call out for every bit of "white ideals and perspectives" (read: Christian references and language) to be eliminated from the rituals. If that happens, the Tri Delta ritual won't even be my ritual. To re-write it would basically require an entire new ritual. Which brings me back to the question of what do we have in common if not our rituals? Color and a mascot.
Quote:
All I know is that those of us who have a ritual with "white ideals and perspectives" (read: significant Christian content and text) have real reason to be concerned. I'm telling you right now that our ritual will not survive a purging of "white ideals and perspectives" and any Tri Delta who is reading this knows exactly what I'm talking about.
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
Ditto on ours. And I will be frank, I have seen most of the NPC rituals because I have a friend who's a ritual collector-- and gutting their rituals will leave little as well.
Quote:
They specifically address "Diversity, Equity and Inclusion" at length in this video and how it destroys organizations. I'm not going to apologize for continuing to push this video because I think the average Greek woman has no idea what is coming to her organization once leadership starts down this path.

It takes a bit for them to lay the foundation of the discussion, but once they hit the practical application aspects of it and how they've witnessed it play out people will understand why I'm pushing this.

Okay, it's been a few months since this thread has updated.

Has anyone noticed NPC sororities strongly trending toward the gutting of their rituals, traditions and standards? Revise, replace, rewrite, reconstruct?

Or have cooler, more logical heads prevailed on this topic?

How about our NPHC sisters, are they in the midst of revamping any/all of their organizational rituals/traditions/standards for the sake of diversity, equity/equality and inclusion?

Perhaps ritual renovation is only to be performed by 'white' sororities afraid of losing the membership and approval of POC.

No sorority organization should lose their perspective on what their group, JUST AS IT IS, has to offer women. We ask PNMs to Be Themselves as we choose them, how is it we need no longer Be What We Are as they choose between our groups?

Misplaced fear can breed self-contempt. I think the speakers in the video TDS posted above had every intention of stoking fear.

Further, is there truly a connotation of race hatred/white supremacy located within some of our rituals? Is that what's been causing all the fear in some posters in this thread?
Old 08-18-2020, 08:00 PM
GreekChat Member

I really thought most sororities had eliminated Christian references in ritual years ago so that women of other faiths could be pledged, especially Jewish women. I was aware that some still included them.