GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,122
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, haledarkz870
» Online Users: 2,138
0 members and 2,138 guests
No Members online

Old 12-10-2019, 10:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Indiana University Recruitment Video

Sigma Kappa took their budget for production of their recruitment video and donated it to Alzheimer's Research. Instead of having something expensive and professionally produced, they just shot their own. In response, Panhel has voted to change their policy for next year's recruitment. All videos moving forward must be produced in house and can't have a budget of more than $1000. Kudos to Sigma Kappa for leading the charge on this.

Thinking about how much money is wasted on these videos every year makes me crazy. Most are filled with the same cliche scenes and don't share valuable information with the pnms. Let's hope this is the beginning of a national movement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Rd7...diB0RJaRgQrswo
Old 12-10-2019, 11:01 PM
GreekChat Member

This is great! I could also see this as an opportunity for film/broadcasting sisters to work on a piece and have it as a part of their portfolios (this is the broadcasting student in me talking!)

Since 1888

If I can get a bid so can you; a longer recruitment story
Old 12-11-2019, 06:21 AM

“Only” $1000??? I don’t even want to know what people are spending now.

While I admire what they did, the video itself still has the same old cliche scenes and doesn’t show them doing any sorority specific activities or anything that has to do with Alzheimer’s research other than the fact in the middle of the video.

I guess I don’t get why these are permitted and NPC is wringing their hands over skits. At least skits are “live” and you can see people’s personalities coming out. Maybe they take up time practicing and in parties, but how is that different than the time taken to shoot these videos? At least creepy dudes aren’t fwapping over a Wizard of Oz skit on YouTube.

Yeah, I’m old.
Old 12-11-2019, 06:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
The chapters currently have a budget of $10,000!! The companies that produce these videos must be making big $$$.

As for the content, they are appealing to 17-19 year old video obsessed women (and the creepy men who watch them also). I get that you have to know your audience, but they need far more substance and fewer hot tub scenes.
Old 12-11-2019, 07:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekOne View Post
The chapters currently have a budget of $10,000!! The companies that produce these videos must be making big $$$.

As for the content, they are appealing to 17-19 year old video obsessed women (and the creepy men who watch them also). I get that you have to know your audience, but they need far more substance and fewer hot tub scenes.
Do I really want to know how many of the Sorority Houses in question *have* hot tubs?
Old 12-11-2019, 08:46 AM
GreekChat Member

I agree that the video does still have some of the same cliche scenes, I mean who does a recruitment video without a puppy!?!? In all seriousness though, I got the feeling when watching the video that it was a passive aggressive way to make fun of the typical video. Just my thoughts, but I do respect their decision. Especially at Indiana, where so many of the NPC chapters are present, it is cringe worthy to think how much money is being invested into videos with glitter and a puppy, versus anything else...
Old 12-11-2019, 09:06 AM

OMG WHY CAN’T MY SERVICE LIZARD LIVE IN THE HOUSE YOU HAD A PUPPY IN YOUR VIDEO.
Old 12-11-2019, 10:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
I had the exact same reaction... "Only" $1,000??? And then I read this...

Quote:
... and nearly had a heart attack.

$10,000 on what essentially amounts to a bunch of girls frolicking around and blowing glitter at the camera, while some hip new song plays over the whole thing. Ten. Thousand. Dollars. And I get that this is a more digital age, and young women are on Youtube all the time, blah blah blah... but how different are each of these videos really? Are young women watching ten glitter-filled videos, seeing THE ONE and thinking, "Oh yea, that's the sorority for me."? It makes me sad to think these things might actually influence PNMs' decisions. The new tent talk!

Good for Sigma Kappa!

@~/~~~~
Old 12-11-2019, 11:27 AM
GreekChat Member

This video sets the new standard:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90WwSR1qmA8
Old 12-11-2019, 12:17 PM

SHOUT OUT TO THOSE OF US WHO ARE FROM THE RECRUITMENT SLIDESHOW ERA.

Lakers Nation.
Old 12-11-2019, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod D View Post
This video sets the new standard:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90WwSR1qmA8
That was amazing. I miss college.
Old 12-11-2019, 03:00 PM

Send a message via AIM to shadokat Send a message via Yahoo to shadokat
So over the recruitment videos! Kudos to Sigma Kappa for showing you can make the same drivel on no money as on $10K. But it was very admirable of them to donate to their philanthropy!
Old 12-11-2019, 03:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

Not every chapter has that high of a budget- there is actually quite a range in budgets at IU. Some spend more, some spend less and they are all approved by Panhellenic.

It's interesting to see how the chapters spend money- for example the Panhellenic guideline may be that houses need to provide breakfast to the rho gammas. One chapter might spend $25 on granola bars and cuties and another chapter spends $200 on breakfast burritos and a fruit trays.

So I depart that I may now better serve my fellow man, my country & God
Old 12-11-2019, 03:15 PM
GreekChat Member

In talking about recruitment video prices I remember 2 really expensive ones (so much so they got articles written on them)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpBzmdj3G_0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pr4USQjr9is

Heard the DG one cost between 200-400k

Since 1888

If I can get a bid so can you; a longer recruitment story
Old 12-11-2019, 05:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Shaking my head that cute nametags, coordinating outfits, and skits are out but professionally done videos of hotties are just fine.

I'm so glad I was Greek in the second half of the 80s.

For so many reasons.

My recruitment story: My sorority membership changed my life.