GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Community Service / Philanthropy

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,706
2 members and 1,704 guests
flamboyanttree, gatordeltapgh

Old 03-05-2021, 03:51 PM
GreekChat Member

The sororities and fraternities helping Black Americans get vaccinated

https://amp.theguardian.com/us-news/...covid-vaccines

Quote:
Membership in these organizations is lifelong, and they have been involved with health initiatives for more than 100 years. Smith says the Covid -19 vaccination effort is an extension of that.

“If you want inroads into the Black community, you start with the church, and then the next step is the fraternities and sororities,” she says. “They are trusted leaders in the community, so if we want to get information out to a larger swath of people, we go to these groups.”

@~/~~~~
Old 06-02-2021, 09:45 AM
GreekChat Member

That's wonderful that NPHC orgs are helping to get people vaccinated. I know at my job we've been having discussions about what is known as trusted messengers especially among African American, Hispanic, as well as Native American communities. There is rightfully a distrust of the medical system especially among African Americans due to the historically poor treatment especially in medical studies/experiments that having trusted messengers through the church or NPHC groups to encourage those who might still be reluctant or hesitant to get vaccinated. Such amazing work and so great to see a positive story.
Old 06-02-2021, 12:50 PM
GreekChat Member

I heard today that President Biden wants to recruit 1,000 African-American owned barber and beauty shops (salons?) where the vaccine will be available. Those establishments are so often an integral part of the community, and they often serve as social hubs of black communities. I think it’s a great idea!
Old 06-04-2021, 02:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGD-GRAD View Post
I heard today that President Biden wants to recruit 1,000 African-American owned barber and beauty shops (salons?) where the vaccine will be available. Those establishments are so often an integral part of the community, and they often serve as social hubs of black communities. I think it’s a great idea!
I wonder if they are working with Alpha Chi Pi Omega Fraternity and Sorority, Inc., which is a non-college organization for Beauticians and Barbers.

The main reason that I know about them is that they were founded as Alpha Phi Omega in 1945 and changed in 1952. (https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/40136004/) I do a *lot* of research on other groups called Alpha Phi Omega other than Alpha Phi Omega, National Service Fraternity.
Old 06-12-2021, 02:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Historically Black sorority working to further eliminate COVID-19 vaccine hesitancy
https://www.wxxinews.org/post/histor...cine-hesitancy

The Theta Omega Sigma Chapter of Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority will host Protect Your Team, Learn About the Vaccine, a virtual panel discussion among Black professionals who were once hesitant but are now completely inoculated and want to share their stories.

Jessica Lewis, one of the event organizers, said more Black people are doing their research and getting vaccinated, but some still need more information before making a decision.

"There's still a segment of the population who is apprehensive, who are on the fence, and that's why this event is going to be critical,” Lewis said.
The event, which is sponsored by the Rochester Area Community Foundation, will take place at 7 p.m. June 15 and will be hosted by longtime journalist Norma Holland.

@~/~~~~
Old 07-11-2021, 02:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASTalumna06 View Post
Chicago news channels have featured this weekend's important local Alpha Kappa Alpha health events which offer Covid vaccines, Covid screenings, a blood drive, mammograms and HIV and other screenings.

It's only words, and words are all I have to take your heart away.