GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,392
0 members and 1,392 guests
No Members online
Closed Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 01:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to LttleMsPrEp
Blacks that rush NPC

Hey, i'm transferring schools and thinking about rushing an NPC... and since it is a predominantly white system(i'm not white), whether or not there's an akward-ness factor or not? also, i would like to know if any people have minorities in their sororities and if the sisterhood bonds are just as strong as all the others..?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-01-2008, 02:07 PM
GreekChat Member

where is it?
Overall, though, it's the bigness of the car that counts the most. Because when something bad happens in a really big car – accidentally speeding through the middle of a gang of unruly young people who have been taunting you in a drive-in restaurant, for instance – it happens very far away – way out at the end of your fenders. It's like a civil war in Africa; you know, it doesn't really concern you too much. - P.J. O'Rourke
Old 05-01-2008, 02:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to sherbertlemons
That would depend entirely on your feelings and your school. I'm a recent graduate of a Florida school, and my chapter usually had at least one to three black members. As far as I'm aware, pretty much every chapter at my school had black members.

The only awkward moment I recollect in my chapter actually was funny. A group of my sisters were trying to describe the appearance of a black PNM to see if any one else recognized her by appearance but not by name. They felt awkward, and were trying to avoid saying she was black. Finally, a (very outspoken) black member of my chapter stood up and said "C'mon, girls, just say she's a sister!" The entire chapter about fell on the floor laughing and we were much more comfortable after that.

This particular black member was one of the original officers of my chapter and definitely an involved and beloved member.

That said, though, generally less than two dozen black girls (my estimate) went through NPC formal recruitment at my school, which typically would have 700+ potential new members. My chapter was huge, so black girls were a definite minority. While black members were welcomed, I could see how someone might be uncomfortable in that small of a minority.
Old 05-01-2008, 03:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Midwestern Private School - People of all races in the sororities, probably in proportion to the racial makeup of the school itself. It was never awkward among us, but I don't know if any of my sisters faced pressure from their non-sorority friends because of their choice.

Also, not a strong NPHC presence on campus as the city-wide chapter(s) couldn't hold events there since they were not a recognized student organization.
Old 05-01-2008, 05:00 PM

It's possible to get a bid to a sorority if you're black (I did). Granted, I went to a school with a pretty small recruitment in Ohio. It is a very different atmosphere from some of the big schools in Florida like UF. I think some of the smaller FL schools would be a little more relaxed.

Honestly, nobody here can really say how likely you are to get a bid. If you didn't, nobody can really say that it was a race thing (since there are alot of factors that go into deciding who gets a bid). Your best bet is to be who you are, present yourself well, get recs and such if needed, and let the chips fall where they may.

My experience as an active was amazing. I probably bonded more within the chapter than most did because I was very involved and lived in the house. It was never about whether I was black, white, green, whatever. I was just me.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 05-01-2008 at 05:08 PM.
Old 05-01-2008, 05:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
It was never about whether I was black, white, green, whatever. I was just me.

There aren't green people.

I generally suck at GC searches but has this topic been discussed before?
Old 05-01-2008, 05:17 PM
GreekChat Member

I went to UF. There were only two or three black members in my chapter during the years I was an active, but there were very few black women who came through NPC rush. As far as I'm concerned, there was no difference in the bonds between sisters of different races. Sisters are sisters!
Old 05-01-2008, 05:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Peeing on you and telling you it's rain apparently...
God, honey just rush. If they like YOU they like YOU! It's sometimes akward but when you're sisters you really learn to see everyone the same (you really do) and it's never been a big deal for me. I joke about it all the time, too! There are pictures from when I was a collegiate where I'm in the middle and it's just me and I laugh at it, or when people take pics without flash and it's dark so I have to point it out to turn on the flash or I won't show up so good. I find it funny and no one's ever been cuturally insensitive or anything.

And thankfully I was pretty comfortable with the background of my org. before I joined because it's heavily Condefederate. But it is all in the past so I didn't focus on it. (Except when I want to make my chapter Pres. uncomfortable and then I make jokes for days!)

I also had one of those moments when someone was trying to describe me in front of me and I was like "OMG! Say it, I'm black BLACK!" We all laughed so hard. It's just never bothered me at all. But it did help that my chapter was majority hispanic so the white girls are the minority and we teased them for always being together everywhere!

The only problem I've found is when you do things with OTHER chapters. Because you stick out like a sore thumb. But you are proud to be different even then. (Plus pretty much everyone at my chapter stuck out at those things...I have a funny story about my chapter at an LC and some Omega Psi Phis, lemme know if you want me to post!)
Old 05-01-2008, 05:19 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyPiNK_FL View Post

And thankfully I was pretty comfortable with the background of my org. before I joined because it's heavily Condefederate.
Really? Phi Mu is considered heavily Condefederate?
Old 05-01-2008, 05:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTW View Post
Really? Phi Mu is considered heavily Condefederate?
Confederate.

It has a strong history in the South, yes.
Overall, though, it's the bigness of the car that counts the most. Because when something bad happens in a really big car – accidentally speeding through the middle of a gang of unruly young people who have been taunting you in a drive-in restaurant, for instance – it happens very far away – way out at the end of your fenders. It's like a civil war in Africa; you know, it doesn't really concern you too much. - P.J. O'Rourke
Old 05-01-2008, 05:25 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elephant Walk View Post
Confederate.

It has a strong history in the South, yes.
I know how to spell it, thanks. See the post above mine.
Old 05-01-2008, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSTCHAOS View Post
There aren't green people.

I generally suck at GC searches but has this topic been discussed before?
Yes. Ad nauseum.

Lakers Nation.
Old 05-01-2008, 06:19 PM
GreekChat Member

thanks for the replies it's been pretty helpful i think i'll just do it and go wherever the wind blows me..

btw not to be a bitch or anything but those of you who keeps asking "hasn't this already been discussed" and etc. no one's making you read this thread so by all means don't bother with it.
Old 05-01-2008, 06:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LttleMsPrEp View Post
btw not to be a bitch or anything but those of you who keeps asking "hasn't this already been discussed" and etc. no one's making you read this thread so by all means don't bother with it.
Well, Idiot Newbie, I asked if this has been discussed so someone could direct you to a more informative thread. Word to the wise, if you go into rush being an assumptive idiot you'll have more than being black to worry about. Good luck.
Old 05-01-2008, 06:42 PM
GreekChat Member

No need for name calling. If it was taking as me being, "an assumptive idiot" apologies are in order,(on my behalf) but that's how i took it when i read it. If your intentions were mentioned in your previous message then it could have been avoided.

But, I'm a new member to GC but when i was doing searches on the topics that were mentioned I never found anything similar to this thread, hence the reason i posted it. But since there seems to already be discussions about it I'll keep looking. Thanks
Closed Thread