GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 600
0 members and 600 guests
No Members online

Old 03-16-2008, 12:20 PM
Super Moderator

Thumbs up How Has Greek Chat helped you Materially?

Several years ago, I started a thread asking people what they'd learned from GC. Most of us agreed that we'd learned a lot about other GLOs.

So today I want to ask you: has anyone on GC helped you in a material way?

PenguinTrax and FSUZeta wrote recs that resulted in one of my daughters becoming a Zeta. She met her fiance at a Zeta mixer! So now we can thank them and GC--the 2 wouldn't have met without them--for bringing them together and also for any future grandchildren, lol.

Other GCers have written recs and sent new member presents. A couple have hosted recruitment threads.

And AXOAlum was our wedding consultant for our oldest daughter's wedding!

So guys, if you think this is "just" a message board....it's not!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-16-2008, 12:26 PM
GreekChat Member

People from GC purchased my novel when it came out. I've also been able to secure speaking engagements through GC members (often unsolicited).
Old 03-16-2008, 05:34 PM
GreekChat Member

i've met sorors at conferences (of course, if they mention here that they'll be there. i dont go around wearing a "Hi my name is tld221 on GC" nametag).

i've also met some folk on here to hang out with. so new friends IRL.
Old 03-16-2008, 06:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senusret I View Post
People from GC purchased my novel when it came out. I've also been able to secure speaking engagements through GC members (often unsolicited).
Ditto! As well as told others about my book that increased sales and visibility. 2 GCers were instrumental in providing the financial support for me to actually publish my first novel.

I've met many wonderful people on here and have places to stay whenever I am out of town.
Old 03-16-2008, 06:56 PM
GreekChat Member

I've also met Sorors IRL that I first met on GC, and gotten really helpful insights into my new hometown from Greeks of all sorts that have helped me negotiate things here
Old 03-16-2008, 08:52 PM
GreekChat Member

I would love to know the names of the books that my fellow GCers are writing! As an avid reader and English teacher, that is right up my alley!
Old 03-16-2008, 09:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gee_ess View Post
I would love to know the names of the books that my fellow GCers are writing! As an avid reader and English teacher, that is right up my alley!
I'll let Senusret introduce you to his book, but my book is a young adult title which kind of sounds right up your alley as an English teacher (I used to be one as well). My first novel is Freshman Focus and the sequel Just Be will be out this spring.

My website which contains Freshman Focus' excerpt
My blog which contains Just Be's excerpt
Old 03-16-2008, 11:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide4 View Post
Ditto! As well as told others about my book that increased sales and visibility. 2 GCers were instrumental in providing the financial support for me to actually publish my first novel.

I've met many wonderful people on here and have places to stay whenever I am out of town.
I wanted to cosign on the above as well.

Anyway, my novel is called Lazarus and the second one is called Covenant (currently stuck in self-publishing purgatory until some issues with my now-bankrupt printer are worked out).

www.oldgoldsoul.com for synopses
Old 03-17-2008, 12:08 AM
GreekChat Member

The synopses sound interesting, Senusret; I'll have to check it out. Sounds like it could have been drawn from life experience? That always makes it more realistic, which I find to be crucial in novels. Unrealistic novels [for the genre] suck. They're too fake.
Old 03-17-2008, 02:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide4 View Post
I'll let Senusret introduce you to his book, but my book is a young adult title which kind of sounds right up your alley as an English teacher (I used to be one as well). My first novel is Freshman Focus and the sequel Just Be will be out this spring.

My website which contains Freshman Focus' excerpt
My blog which contains Just Be's excerpt

I love to read as well, & will definitely have to check these out!

ETA: I'll be picking up RD's, too!

Last edited by IlovemyAKA; 03-17-2008 at 02:58 AM.
Old 03-17-2008, 08:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtian View Post
CrimsonTide4, your book looks good!
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlovemyAKA View Post
I love to read as well, & will definitely have to check these out!

ETA: I'll be picking up RD's, too!
Thanks to you both for visiting the website and supporting my writing!
Old 03-17-2008, 08:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Senusret and Crimsontide, I am jealous, jealous! What person who loves books doesn't secretly yearn to write her own? Congrats to you both!
CrimsonTide, I read your bio and I think I am your long lost twin! I can still smell the school library and remember what it felt like to spend time searching for a book! Judy Blume was my hero, and so were many of the others you mentioned! But I have to say I connected the most with your efforts to get your students to read. I, too, would take boxes of books home to read over the summer, so I could authentically recommend titles to my students. (I taught hs and jr high through the years,but loved jr high the best). I am retired for now - husband's career and kids take too much of my time, but I miss it.
So, since I have hijacked this thread to a personal conversation, I will steer it back to the OP: I have found new authors to read and follow!