GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,335
1 members and 1,334 guests
aidanshulzeo560

Old 04-11-2011, 07:55 PM
GreekChat Member

when i transferred schools i talked to the advisor and president at my first chapter, and they helped me with the paperwork. i also got in touch with the president of the chapter at my new school (this was in march, and i transferred that next fall) and met with her during our spring break to discuss the process. obviously that might not be possible if you are transferring to another state; i transferred about 250 miles away.

based on my experience, i recommend trying to get in touch with the president AND the chapter advisor before transferring. there were two other girls who transferred in the same semester i had, who had contacted the advisor instead of the president. they seemed to have an easier time getting involved in the new chapter, and i think that's in part because working with the advisor they were invited to a few days during spirit week and recruitment and had more chances to get to know people than i did having only attended bid night and one chapter meeting before the affiliation vote.

also, once you get in touch with the new chapter keep up contact, but don't be annoying. i would try to make an initial contact ASAP and check in again mid-summer, at least before work/spirit week and recruitment if they do fall formal recruitment.

"We are who we pretend to be." - Kurt Vonnegut
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-10-2017, 09:31 PM
GreekChat Member

33girl,

To clarify, I do not think my sorority is exceptionally homogeneous, but I do agree that I have been exceptionally lucky to be welcomed by members of my sorority everywhere I have lived near a chapter or an alum group.

I pledged my sorority at one school. I was initiated there and was a full member for two years.

Due to family illness needing me at home, I transferred to another school, affiliated with my sorority chapter at the new school as a collegian over the summer, and was a full member for two years.

I attended grad school in another state and served as an advisor for the chapter.

I got married and moved to another state, where I served as Chapter Director to the chapter near me. Several area girls attended this school for two years and then transferred to larger school and affiliated with the chapters at the new school. Almost all of these affiliations were successful. These girls were moving from a small school to a large school with competitive Greek systems. I helped them make contacts at the new school in advance and let both sides get to know each other.

I have since then served as an advisor to 2 other chapters as I followed my Army husband around the States.

Yes, being a chapter member is different from being an advisor, but I have made friends everywhere I have been involved with my sorority.

Army towns can be different. I once who had just moved to the area follow me home because she saw the sorority sticker on my car and wanted to meet a sister.

She is still a good friend.

I know this reply is years later, but it has always bugged me that I never clarified my situation and why I though my experience might encourage someone.
Old 08-10-2017, 10:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Did you just bump a thread from 2011 to get the last word? I'm almost impressed by how petty that is. Well done.
Old 08-14-2017, 05:07 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm glad you bumped this. I was just talking to one of my friend's whose daughter pledged at a large SEC school. She has since realized that she does not like how big it is and is looking to transfer to a smaller satellite campus of UT. We were talking about how easily or not she could affilitate.

Good timing.
Old 08-24-2017, 05:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Clemson Girl,

I truly did not mean to be petty, although I can definitely see how it would look that way!

I am a touch OCD with a very long memory.

I have been busy with elderly family members for several years now, and never forgot about wanting to respond, but never got around to it either!

My intent was to clarify - not to have the last word.

I'm just glad that my late clarification was actually useful to someone! That was a bonus I did not expect! Thanks for saying that SissyinTexas!
Old 08-24-2017, 08:03 PM

What did I even say? Where did I use the word homogeneous? This thread is like the twilight zone.
Old 08-28-2017, 09:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Dear 33girl,

I am so sorry! I am definitely coming off as a dingbat from a "Twilight Zone" episode sent out to confuse you!

First, I respond to a comment made in a thread in 2010, then I post it in another thread from 2011.

I have definitely used 2 of my 3 strikes before I show myself as too stupid to be allowed to post on the internet.

Okay, just to clarify the situation and not (I promise) to make any point.
(I am the crazy one here, not you.)

The thread was titled "Sophomore rush at a&m" and is from October 2010.

I said,
"I was just thinking that if she had liked her Chi Omega chapter enough to pledge maybe she would also like the chapter at A&M - I was lucky enough to be closely involved with four different chapters of my sorority and loved them all."

You replied, (with logic),
"You were exceptionally lucky, or your sorority is exceptionally homogenous."

I decided to clarify my situation - 7 years later.

I would say that I really need to get a life, but I do have a life or I would have responded sooner.

I definitely need to learn that just because something rattles around in my head for 7 years, DOES NOT mean that anyone else remembers it at all!

I apologize again for the lateness of my reply and the confusion of posting it in the wrong thread!

This may be my third strike, but just a heads up, I am going to repost my reply in the correct place this time (I really hope).

Just a little OCD.

I hope you are at least laughing at this by now!

Sincerely,

Georgia Rose