GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,044
Threads: 115,496
Welcome to our newest member, NikiMussen
» Online Users: 1,582
0 members and 1,582 guests
No Members online

Old 08-23-2009, 04:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile Founding a new chapter of a sorority

Hi there! We would like to found a new chapter of a sorority at our school! We want to found a chapter that is currently existing and has national recognition. We need suggestions and advice on what to do. We would like to gather girls, information and national/alumni support before we approach our administration. How can we go about doing such? Any suggestions and advice are much appreciated!
Old 08-23-2009, 04:32 PM
GreekChat Member

The first piece of advise is to make sure your school is actually open for expansion.
Old 08-23-2009, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsasecret0909 View Post
Hi there! We would like to found a new chapter of a sorority at our school! We want to found a chapter that is currently existing and has national recognition.
If it's currently existing, you won't be founding it.

Vito is right, find out if your school is open for NPC expansion before you go through a lot of wasted effort. Oh, and actually go through NPC rush before deciding that all the groups aren't right for you.
Old 09-02-2009, 03:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Want2beDelta
Process

do any of you guys know the process of going into a NPHC sorority?
Old 09-02-2009, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2beDelta View Post
www.deltasigmatheta.org

Also, you might want to get a new username without Delta in it. If you're not in a particular sorority, it's considered bad form to have their letters in your username/email/etc.

Lakers Nation.
Old 09-02-2009, 04:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2beDelta View Post
Take a look at the A Torch to Guide You thread (it's at the top of the list) and you might want to talk to members of the particular NPHC sorority you would like to join, or check their national website. Just trying to help you out because I don't want you to get ate alive in here lol Just one sisterfriend trying to help another
Old 09-02-2009, 04:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Oh, you got to it first KSU my bad
Old 09-02-2009, 05:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to dreamseeker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cre8tiveSoul View Post
Take a look at the A Torch to Guide You thread (it's at the top of the list) and you might want to talk to members of the particular NPHC sorority you would like to join, or check their national website. Just trying to help you out because I don't want you to get ate alive in here lol Just one sisterfriend trying to help another
All that and she still didn't listen to you. lol
Old 09-02-2009, 11:24 PM
GreekChat Member

lol
Old 09-09-2009, 06:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTW View Post
Ummm...campuses won't want to expand if current houses haven't been at total for a while or if some houses are struggling for membership.

How's about you let the campus officials determine whether or not the Greek community is in need, mmmkay?

That's not entirely true. George Washington University (DC) brought on a new national organization when all it's chapters were not at total and some were hurting for members. What statistics have found is that bringing on a new organization after some time actually does encourage a new percentage of women (or men) to come out to experience what Greek life has to offer. Sometimes chapters can create stereotypes that can become so deep, they can scare people off. Bringing on a new chapter has encouraged those who were, at one point, not interested in Greek life.

It may not be a great way to approach Greek life, but that's what happened at GW and it seems like it benefitted most of the NPC chapters on their campus. I did see statistics from this exact situation and study when my own campus was considering bringing another chapter on (we did not); I was pretty stunned by the results.

This is not to say the same thing would work at every campus, but expansion is usually looked at as a way of benefitting the entire Greek community or council, not just a way for a new organization to start it's newest chapter.

Delta Gamma
GO MARYLAND
Old 09-10-2009, 10:16 AM
GreekChat Member

I am on a campus that has experienced some expansion recently, and it is NOT easy. I know everyone has said this, but let me just throw one more on there and hopefully we can get through to some of the people who might not be grasping that fact.

Yes, it sounds really romantic to start a new NPC chapter and the expansion team might even try to lure you in with that, but seriously, if you dont have the right national support and the right drive, and you seriously have no idea how a chapter operates because you've never been in one (which would make sense if youre trying to start a chapter)...it is not going to be fun.

If you want to start a chapter, then YOU and your other founding friends are the sole people that are doing everything. And no one ends up doing it perfect, no matter how much research or help, there are always big mistakes made.

If you really want to start something from the ground up, you have to be prepared to be confused, frustrated, lost, overwhelmed, and also, be prepared for everyone else on campus thinking your org is a total wreck and none of you know what youre doing (because you dont). You have be strong enough to handle that, look past it, and stay dedicated. Yes, it will be satisfying in the end and you'll be proud and you will look back on it fondly and I am sure you'll have fun, but it is not about "Ohhh! Look, I am a founding lady and I have letters now and secrets and I'm the president!"

Women who found chapters are brave, brave individuals....whether they realize what they are getting themselves into or not. The ones who make it through and are active, they are better people than I am. I have a lot of respect for the women on my campus that made their chapter into what it is now. Everyone else though, you gotta be real careful about what you get yourself into.
Old 10-20-2009, 02:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmommaacE View Post
i think u should change your screen name be cuz a lot of divine greeks would think thats disrespectful. u should research all the greek orgs to make sure you r educated on all them. im not n the divine nine but im in a greek organization and a legacy from the D9. so maybe that can help u.
What? Who are you talking about?
Old 10-20-2009, 02:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi U MC Vito View Post
What? Who are you talking about?
I hope she's not talking about "RhoGamma09" lol

I'll keep my other comments to myself

ETA: Wait. She's probably talking about that "Want2baDelta" character.

Old 10-20-2009, 02:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_shadow View Post
I hope she's not talking about "RhoGamma09" lol

I'll keep my other comments to myself
That's exactly what I was wondering. Could be talking to Want2BDelta, but she hasn't posted in over a month.
Old 10-20-2009, 04:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmommaacE View Post
i think u should change your screen name be cuz a lot of divine greeks would think thats disrespectful. u should research all the greek orgs to make sure you r educated on all them. im not n the divine nine but im in a greek organization and a legacy from the D9. so maybe that can help u.
Um, since you have obviously joined another sorority, you should not be going around calling yourself a legacy of a sorority in the D9 since you are no longer eligible to join. The legacy is over.

Last edited by rhoyaltempest; 10-20-2009 at 04:11 PM.