GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,042
Threads: 115,496
Welcome to our newest member, prettyandpearls
» Online Users: 1,643
1 members and 1,642 guests
No Members online

Old 03-14-2008, 03:53 PM
GreekChat Member

stick-eee?

(anyone who watches The Soup will get this.)
Old 03-14-2008, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tld221 View Post
stick-eee?

(anyone who watches The Soup will get this.)
BWAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH

Please find this on YouTube.
Old 03-14-2008, 04:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
BWAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH

Please find this on YouTube.
ask and you shall receive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCmdVw7N_F8
Old 03-14-2008, 04:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CULater View Post
RUNNING A CHAPTER IS EXTREMELY HARD!!

yes. yes, it FREAKING is. it makes me want to curl into a ball and cry sometimes it's so stressful, and i'm not even the one in charge for real.
Old 03-21-2008, 11:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to MsDGP007 Send a message via Yahoo to MsDGP007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilaria Ame View Post
yes. yes, it FREAKING is. it makes me want to curl into a ball and cry sometimes it's so stressful, and i'm not even the one in charge for real.

This is true. That why when women are interested in our organization, we immediate ask or suggest that they research both the options they currently have on campus as well as other sororities. While it is important that they understand and can truly live-out our mission statement; our sorority must also put a lot of trust in founders to try to carry through on doing what needs to be done to set the foundation for a chapter. It's a lot harder than it looks.

There are so many sororities out there. You may just find one that exist already that matches your ideals.
Old 04-26-2008, 11:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Question Starting a prehealth sorority

hey everyone,

I read some of your messages and they seemed really helpful so i was hoping you could help me.

I'm currently in the processof starting a pre-health sorority at my school. We have started to recruit members picked a name and other stuff.

What can you suggest that we do and what are the best ways to go about doing it?

Thanks

Mel
Old 04-26-2008, 11:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEKmel View Post
What can you suggest that we do and what are the best ways to go about doing it?
Yikes. That's a pretty vague question.

Refer back to page one and look at these sections: "Starting a special interest sorority" and "establishing/developing a newly founded sorority"

Old 04-26-2008, 11:40 PM
GreekChat Member

I googled "health sorority" and found three so far... who knew?!

(Not counting the nursing sorority I've heard of)
Old 04-27-2008, 05:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for your help...yeah that was vague sorry

Ok so we recently picked our name Delta Epsilon Kappa and figured out a few more details.
I guess some of my major questions are more directed towards rushing and pledging and dues.

We have 9 members including of myself right now but within the next few weeks we hope to have more.

We were trying to figure out how much we should make our dues. We won't have a house.

Also about rushing have any suggestions on what we can do.

Also about pledging we thought of some stuff but we need more.

What are some of your policies for things?

Thanks

Mel
Old 04-27-2008, 05:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Thanks for your help...yeah that was vague sorry

Ok so we recently picked our name Delta Epsilon Kappa and figured out a few more details.
I guess some of my major questions are more directed towards rushing and pledging and dues.

We have 9 members including of myself right now but within the next few weeks we hope to have more.

We were trying to figure out how much we should make our dues. We won't have a house.

Also about rushing have any suggestions on what we can do.

Also about pledging we thought of some stuff but we need more.

What are some of your policies for things?

Thanks

Mel
As far as policies: If you're wanting to found a sorority, you're going to have to figure out these things on your own. If you use other organizations' standards and practices, potential members might be more inclined to pursue the other organizations. Make up policies, rituals, etc that fit your organization's (and its current members') goals and values.

As far as dues: Contact your Greek life office. Ask them what typical dues are at your school and make yours comparable.

Also, like Sensuret said, do a Google search. It may be better to bring an existing organization to your campus rather than starting from scratch.

Last edited by knight_shadow; 04-27-2008 at 05:17 PM. Reason: cleared up some wording.
Old 04-27-2008, 06:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile

thanks for your help,

actually i originally did set out to branch off another prehealth sorority. I came into contact with the Rho Psi Eta in cali. The pres told us we were alll good to go so we started some stuff. Then all of a sudden i get an email from the founders saying that their pres never consulted with them and they don't want to extend because she didnt ask them first.

After this happened the ladies and I decided to do our own.

another question is we started what we called a "sister contract" which is what we want our members to sign say they agree to our rules and what not that we almost finished today. Did anyone else do this?
Old 04-27-2008, 10:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
thanks for your help,

actually i originally did set out to branch off another prehealth sorority. I came into contact with the Rho Psi Eta in cali. The pres told us we were alll good to go so we started some stuff. Then all of a sudden i get an email from the founders saying that their pres never consulted with them and they don't want to extend because she didnt ask them first.
That's too bad. Were there any others out there that you looked into?

Quote:
another question is we started what we called a "sister contract" which is what we want our members to sign say they agree to our rules and what not that we almost finished today. Did anyone else do this?
My organization doesn't have a physical contract. By accepting membership, we're accepting the fact that we have to adhere to certain policies. If those policies aren't followed, membership can (and often will) be terminated.

Old 05-25-2008, 12:00 AM
GreekChat Member

I have some questions that I'm still iffy on after reading all these thread

First of all, I am currently attending CUNY John Jay and we don't have a legitimate greek life. There's a few sororities and only one fraternity (that I can find! -- this is national i believe) that are local and are spread throughout the CUNY system. I decided that it would be nice to see who was interested in creating a new group and trying to push the school to recognize us, since we're only of the only CUNY without greek life. Now after finding about 15 potentials and creating a creed/symbols/crest/name and so on, we think it might be worthwhile trying to bring a national in.

A friend from another school told me that nationals could help talk to the school board about allowing sororities/fraternities? Do y'all think that is the case?

And for those who have started a chapter, how did you go about looking at all 26 NPC and other nationals? Right now I'm trying to focus on the philanthropies, but I literally started researching national information tonight, so I am open to any ideas.

Also, if you saw a national had 5 established chapters in your area (I'm in NYC), would you interpret that as a probable "no" for their expansion, or would you see it as "we love this area and want to have more chapters"?

And, having no legit PanHel Council here at my school, would you think its best to talk more with the school or NPC first?

I'm sorry if these are listed somewhere (I know the "Rush at UCSC" has a lot, and did read it all, but I might have missed them) but like all the posts and such before, any advice would be appreciated! I'm also sorry if this makes no sense

Thank you in advance
Old 05-25-2008, 12:14 AM

You need permission from your school in order to proceed with bringing an NPC sorority onto your campus. They do not negotiate/help talk to the school about opening up the school to sororities, you need to discuss that with the proper authorities. Start with that before you contact any of the NPC sororities.

There's no way to look at a state and determine how "interested in a particular area" a sorority is. Most sorority expansion teams look at a lot of different factors when deciding whether to come to a school or not. Some of these things include: # and size of sororities on campus, administration's support of greek life, alumna chapters in the area, whether there is alumna support available to the new group, etc. Most of what they are looking at has to do with the probability of a chapter thriving at the school.

This is really of no consequence if your school isn't open for expansion, so that should be your priority because there's no point in contacting a particular sorority if you don't have school permission.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 05-25-2008 at 10:29 PM.
Old 05-25-2008, 10:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
You need permission from your school in order to proceed with bringing an NPC sorority onto your campus. They do not negotiate/help talk to the school about opening up the school to sororities, you need to discuss that with the prpoer authorities. Start with that before you contact any of the NPC sororities.

Maybe the person who gave me the original advice didn't know this. I'm going to talk to the school though (cause you have to, as you said). Right now, we're trying to make our "interest" group an actual club with the school. That way if they say no to recognizing/allowing Greek Life, we still have a club.

Thank you!