GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,042
Threads: 115,496
Welcome to our newest member, prettyandpearls
» Online Users: 1,808
0 members and 1,808 guests
No Members online

Old 01-22-2008, 03:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to preciousjeni
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyKKG View Post
Btw, it's UCSC, not USCS. :-)
Ack! Thank you!

Talented, tested, tenacious, and true...
A woman of diversity through and through.
Old 01-22-2008, 03:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by preciousjeni View Post
And I would hope that organizational officers would be keen enough to ask the right questions and make sure the opportunity to expand/extend is really worth the time and money.
True, but the problem is that there are some good liars out there. I've seen it happen too many times... It's really sad.
Old 01-22-2008, 05:39 PM
GreekChat Member

http://www.omegaphialpha.org/OPAToda...ons/index.html

DISCLAIMER: Omega Phi Alpha is not a substitute for any other sorority, nor is it a stepping stone for any other sorority. Attempting to use our organization in this way is only going to cheapen your experience and the experience of the sisters around you, so please, if either of these is your reason for wanting to bring a chapter to your campus, don't bother. We don't need the drama.

Last edited by DSTRen13; 01-22-2008 at 06:21 PM.
Old 01-22-2008, 05:54 PM
GreekChat Member

do not start a sorority/fraternity because you want to
  • wear letters!!,
  • stroll/party walk,
  • step,
  • have a hand sign,
  • have a call,
  • to put on your resume...
  • HAZE!
RUNNING A CHAPTER IS EXTREMELY HARD!!
Old 01-22-2008, 06:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to breathesgelatin Send a message via AIM to breathesgelatin Send a message via MSN to breathesgelatin Send a message via Yahoo to breathesgelatin
If your campus does not have any NPC organizations, your process is slightly different.

FIRST, read this link: http://www.npcwomen.org/extension-info.aspx

READ THE PDFs AVAILABLE. THEY EXPLAIN THE PROCESS IN GREATER DETAIL THAN ANY OF US HERE CAN.

Basic Questions to Consider:
-Does your university campus satisfy the requirements listed on the link above (4 year accredited campus)? If not, you are not eligible. Sorry. You might consider transferring to an eligible institution.
-Is the lack of NPC groups because the campus has traditionally banned such organizations? This may well be the case, particularly at some religiously-affiliated institutions, women's colleges, etc.
-If your campus has banned such organizations, DO RESEARCH (eg talk to Director of Student activities) and see if this might change with some student interest. Many schools that formerly banned Greek life are now more open to it. If your campus will not alter their position--sorry.
-In rare situations, an NPC may colonize without official campus recognition (for example, at some Ivy League schools). This however is rare. READ THE INFORMATION PERTAINING TO "PROPER AUTHORITY" AT THE ABOVE LINK. You may contact the NPC extension chairman with questions to determine if you investigation must end there.
-If you school does ban NPC-type organizations, consider whether you are open to investigate other types of organizations and activities that are allowed or already exist on your campus. There may be other kinds of GLOs on your campus. Obviously do NOT view these orgs as a "backup" but you may discover an interest in them upon research. Do you research first and DO NOT WASTE THESE GROUPS' TIME IF YOU ARE ONLY INTERESTED IN NPC MEMBERSHIP. The research process is intended for you to discover if there is a spark lit in YOU about these orgs, not for you to become Greek at any cost.

-If it happens that there is no ban on NPC and the lack of NPC presence on your campus is for other reasons, work with your Director of Student Life.
-Use the link above as your major resource. Be prepared to answer the questions listed on that website. For example, if you go to a nontraditional college (and this term can have various meanings) be prepared to explain what the role of Greek life at your campus would be and why it is needed. You need to have a vision of the role of NPC on your campus.
-If possible, ally with other interested individuals in this process. Remember though to let the administration take the lead. YOU NEED THEIR SUPPORT.

If anyone has any revisions to this... let me know.
Old 01-22-2008, 10:17 PM
Unregistered-

Moderators, would it be possible to add this to the "Sticky" posts at the top?

preciousjeni, thank you for starting this thread! What a valuable resource!
Old 02-03-2008, 10:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Expansion Story

Well, this is pretty relevant to this page but it wasn't listed at the top of the thread. My chapter went from a local org to chapter of an NPC. Here's the link.
Old 02-03-2008, 10:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyKKG View Post
Well, this is pretty relevant to this page but it wasn't listed at the top of the thread. My chapter went from a local org to chapter of an NPC. Here's the link.
You are now represented, my dear.

Old 02-04-2008, 12:45 AM
GreekChat Member

So I posted my question on another thread, but was then redirected here. There has been some great advice here and I can clearly understand where some of you are coming from. I was originally an initiated member of an NPC organization and while I loved the ladies when I joined I didn't like what the new girls who came after my pledge class changed the sorority into. Basically the few of us who were left decided we should start a local sorority. We wanted to found our sorority on certian ideals and we want girls who believe these things and try to follow them in their life.

Anyways, to my question, When a local sorority comes on a campus that is dominated by NPC sororities and really has no local sororities on campus what tends to be the reaction? Are they accepted by the greek community or do they find it hard to fit in? Some of my sisters are concerned about what will happen when we go public with our organization.
Old 02-04-2008, 08:28 AM
GreekChat Member

TheataXi,
It depends on the campus atmosphere. Other groups may feel an addition to the greek system as a positive thing but then you may have individual members who feel threatened. I think it also depends on the success your school has as far as how many students go greek. somtimes adding another group to compete with is not in the best interest of other organizations. Before you attempt to put your group on the local map at your school, i'd suggest asking your greek advisor, if it was possible your group has a place to exist on your campus. This is important if you want to make sure your org will have continous enrollment after you graduate.
The concern your members are having is natural. My group is a little over a year old and as we get bigger, we are still scrutinized by many individuals. Be prepared for alot of questions. People will want to know WHERE you came from and WHY. It's up to you to answer it how you feel. If your campus allows the registration of a local organization the acceptance of your group may go smoothly but like i said it depends on the campus.
Old 02-04-2008, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThetaXiBeta View Post
So I posted my question on another thread, but was then redirected here. There has been some great advice here and I can clearly understand where some of you are coming from. I was originally an initiated member of an NPC organization and while I loved the ladies when I joined I didn't like what the new girls who came after my pledge class changed the sorority into. Basically the few of us who were left decided we should start a local sorority. We wanted to found our sorority on certian ideals and we want girls who believe these things and try to follow them in their life.

Anyways, to my question, When a local sorority comes on a campus that is dominated by NPC sororities and really has no local sororities on campus what tends to be the reaction? Are they accepted by the greek community or do they find it hard to fit in? Some of my sisters are concerned about what will happen when we go public with our organization.
With the situation you described, you may have a very hard row to hoe. Especially if the sisters that are left in your NPC sorority are well liked by other sororities and fraternities.

When you say you don't like what they changed the sorority into - are you talking risk management issues (i.e. hazing, substance abuse) or that they are just a different type of girl? If it's the former, I would go to the national headquarters before turning in your pin and throwing away the chance to be involved as an alumna. If it's the latter - who voted them in? I mean, how did you end up with girls that you have nothing in common with?
Old 02-20-2008, 12:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Reading another thread I was wondering if it was possible to post threads about the difficulties for founding an organization? It seems that people are posting about how In Need their campus or community needs 'a new group' but many do not realize that it is more than just a process of picking some letters, and calling your best friends and you a GLO. Locals going national or even locals that have lasted decades and centuries on particular campuses are the result of the hard work, effort, and dedication of founders who were determined to see their cause last long after their graduation. I am all for groups of serious students and community leaders coming together for the purpose of Something, but I am not for threads about people who appear to only want to be in a GLO just to be in one. So if there are any posts about it I would love to see them posted on up there. Great job on the thread so far!
Old 02-20-2008, 12:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaPDPrez View Post
Reading another thread I was wondering if it was possible to post threads about the difficulties for founding an organization?
The section entitled "ESTABLISHING/DEVELOPING A NEWLY FOUNDED SORORITY" is for this purpose. It's still a little bare because it's hard for me (not being part of a local) to have a good idea of what locals want to see. If you have some threads in mind, please PM them to me!

Old 03-14-2008, 05:06 AM
Unregistered-

TTT

Will the mods at least consider making this thread "Sticky"?
Old 03-14-2008, 08:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTW View Post
TTT

Will the mods at least consider making this thread "Sticky"?
It surely would make updating it a lot quicker. I added the new group yesterday.