GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,044
Threads: 115,496
Welcome to our newest member, NikiMussen
» Online Users: 1,478
1 members and 1,477 guests
NikiMussen
Closed Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 03:33 PM
GreekChat Member

This probably should goes without saying, but just for the record:

Social, professional, honorary, service--DEFINATELY ALLOWED!

Sidenote: I knew a former Student Government president who was a member of Kappa Alpha Psi, Kappa Kappa Psi, Kappa Delta Pi, and Alpha Kappa Mu. I think he took that "kappa" thing to a whole 'nother level. *lol*

Also, membership in Alpha Phi Omega and Gamma Sigma Sigma--allowed.
Old 05-08-2007, 03:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still BLUTANG View Post
dual membership in music orgs (TBS, KKY, PMA, SAI)
its o.k. (but know your campus climate)

i have also known people do to both musics orgs (example KKY and PMA) then an NPHC fraternity.

again, know your campus climate.
Well, dual membership in Phi Mu Alpha and Sigma Alpha Iota would not be okay or even possible, since the former is all male and the later is all female.

The rule is: Dual membership is not allowed among Phi Mu Alpha, Sigma Alpha Iota, Mu Phi Epsilon (which is co-ed) or Delta Omicron (also co-ed). Phi Beta (co-ed, as well) might also be included in this group, too; I'm not sure. At the least, even if Phi Beta allowed dual membership, I think Phi Mu Alpha might prohibit it, but it's not a question I've run into.

Dual membership in Phi Mu Alpha and Kappa Kappa Psi is allowed as far as national policies are concerned, since the former is a social fraternity and the latter is "an honorary service organization" (quoting KKY/TBS's national website). As you say, campus climate may be different, and I know there are different feelings about this among members of Phi Mu Alpha. (We used to have a joint agreement with Kappa Kappa Psi on the subject, but it is my understanding that Phi Mu Alpha has withdrawn from that agreement.)

I don't know how Sigma Alpha Iota, Mu Phi Epsilon, Delta Omicron or Phi Beta feel about dual membership with Kappa Kappa Psi/Tau Beta Sigma.
Old 05-08-2007, 04:23 PM
GreekChat Member

thanks for clarifying what what i meant...
KKY + PMA or TBS + SAI membership is what people generally see... but then you have male TBS who are PMA and/or female KKY who are SAI... it gets confusing after awhile, but y'all get the idea.
Old 05-11-2007, 10:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISUKappa View Post
Actually, this is only applicable if the PNM stays at the same campus. If she transfers before the end of the year, she is eligible to go through recruitment and be given a bid at her new school.
I wasn't aware of that. Thanks for the info. I'll amend my post.

Old 05-23-2007, 06:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Exclamation

well, i have a question. I made a mistake and joined a sorority that from the beginning i knew wasn't for me. it is a NPC sorority so i didn't have an option of joining the one i really wanted AKA (which is a NPHC). If i drop the one i'm in, do i still have a chance of being a proud member of AKA?
Old 05-23-2007, 06:39 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazed View Post
well, i have a question. I made a mistake and joined a sorority that from the beginning i knew wasn't for me. it is a NPC sorority so i didn't have an option of joining the one i really wanted AKA (which is a NPHC). If i drop the one i'm in, do i still have a chance of being a proud member of AKA?
NO.

Please see the very first post in this thread and pay close attention to the portion that says that dual memberships in NPC and NPHC are not allowed.
Old 05-23-2007, 06:47 PM
GreekChat Member

so even if i drop it i'll always be a member? even if i'm changing schools?
Old 05-23-2007, 06:50 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
so even if i drop it i'll always be a member? even if i'm changing schools?
Holding dual memberships in NPC and NPHC sororities is not allowed. Even if you terminate your membership in the NPC, you were already initiated, making you ineligible. You can try, but no one's really going to feel sorry for you when you get outed. People do find out, you know.

NPHC members, you got another one. Feel free to chime in and set her straight.
Old 05-23-2007, 09:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTW View Post
NPHC members, you got another one. Feel free to chime in and set her straight.
Thank you for your permission...
Old 05-23-2007, 10:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccoyred View Post
From my mind to your finger tips. And if it had of been anyone else besides OTW, I might have gotten a little salty.
Reaffirmed: Glen Ellyn Area Alumnae
All in the MIGHTY MIDWEST REGION!
Old 05-23-2007, 10:07 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccoyred View Post
I'm sorry you felt as if I was giving you permission. That wasn't the intent. Maybe I should have worded it better, but it was more of an encouragement to add your input because it was obvious mine wasn't good enough for her.

back atcha
Old 05-24-2007, 01:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ChildoftheHorn
Hmm

I will say, determining what to join or not is a big deal.

My BFF was really under a lot of stress of whether to join and NPHC sorority or NPC. She eventually decided to go through formal recruitment our freshman year and decided that she really felt at home in DZ. If she didn't feel she liked it, she was going to drop herself out. She still does stuff with her friends in those orgs. and goes to the parties too. Her mom is in the NPHC and just being Greek has brought them even closer.

I, myself, have been formally invited to SAI parties. Though I know a large part of the chapter (like 75%+), I just do not have the time to devote to both. Forever I will go to the PMA and SAI recitals; I know a lot of the guys too. Just because you may/may not be a part of one organization, it doesn't mean that you can't support another.

Seriously, I go to all the step shows I can on campus. That tradition is so awesome to me ( plus I get my sorority sisters and friends to go too).
Personally, I would look at what you are looking for in an organization and then decide for yourself. Give everything a thorough evaluation first!

"It's sounds like all Greek to me!"
Old 05-24-2007, 01:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Well, as you found out, when you decided to be grown and adult, you made an adult decision. Now, you must live with the choice you made. Why do you ever have a problem now?

"Yo soy una mujer negra" ~Zoe Saldana
Old 05-24-2007, 01:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
ETA Interesting screen name!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTW View Post
NO.
coloring by me

Last edited by 1908Revelations; 05-24-2007 at 01:50 AM.
Old 05-24-2007, 03:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
What made you change your mind? What attracted you to the NPC one in the first place?