GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,042
Threads: 115,496
Welcome to our newest member, prettyandpearls
» Online Users: 1,741
0 members and 1,741 guests
No Members online

Old 01-19-2006, 03:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

Retention is a great word.

There are some people who can cope and others who cant. It is an individual thing.

There should not overtly placed on a to New Member as they also have to adjust to a new environment and life style. Pressure can wear a person out when trying to make a niche in said areas to feel fitted in.

In LXA, any New Member can hold any Officership but one, Ritualist.

While I may not agree, there are some who can adjust and some not no matter what.

While I only held One Position as President of The Local, I have been involved for 40 Years and Yes, there are times I get burned out from lack of Alums participating.

You must understand, We should have been closed for lack of Membership and lack of Alum support with a Very Old House. Now with a lot of Hard Work, there is a new House in the works, and a recruitment process in place to rebuild the Membership and Chapter.

I am so damn excited it is hard to explain, but More and More Alums are finally coming on board to beactive again.

Everyone loves a winner, it is teh ones who keep working to make this happy are the ones who will finally reap the reward of accomplishment.

Never keep someone in a Job to long or the job lets down the Chapter. In the long run, it hurts one and all!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 01-19-2006, 04:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via AIM to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via Yahoo to AchtungBaby80
I've often wondered about this, too. But in my experience, the girls who were really into it and did their offices well stayed active members with leadership roles right up until they graduated. The ones who sort of disappeared after junior year were the ones who weren't really that involved to begin with.

I do, however, think it makes more sense for older members to hold the "bigger" offices just because they have had more experience being members, and I think it helps everyone see holding an office as a privilege and not a pain in the butt.
Old 01-19-2006, 04:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Housing can play a role in why girls are getting elected earlier, too. I can't speak for other groups, but with Tri Delta, basically every major officer (president, new member ed, VP finance, etc.) is required to live in the house. Because we have slating in November and new officers take over in January, getting elected president means you have to be currently living in the house and you have to live there next year, too. By the time they're seniors, a lot of girls have lived in two years in a row and would rather have their own apartment. That means that few juniors are up for the role of president or other exec board positions that require living in -- so these roles often go to sophomores.
Old 01-19-2006, 05:17 PM

I guess I didn't touch on the early initiation part (i.e. after 6 wks vs after a semester). I really think that depends on the amount of people in the chapter and how much there is to learn. There's nothing that says just because they initiate early, you HAVE to put them up for positions. On another note, f the only people excited about running for offices are your most recent pledge class, and you're asking them because all the sophs and juniors are passing, that's a problem.
Old 01-19-2006, 05:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to flirt5721
I think that it all depends on the girl. If she is willing to up with it or not.

My Big sister was elected President her freshman year. A couple of weeks after she was initated. She was very active and is now a traveling counsultant for us. We have had many freshman girls that step up that want to have big positions and other that perfer a smaller position.

Many girls chose our chapter because they have the chance to become a leader right after initation unlike the other chapter that sometimes only give them small ones when they want a big position.

Its not that a girl will get burned out because of the sorority, but because of everything that is going on in her life....school, homework, work, family,etc. It all depends on her.

As for early initation I don't think that there is a problem with it. I was initated 5 weeks after accepting my bid. I think it was a great idea. Yes there is a lot to learn and 5 weeks isn't enough time to learn it all but thats what the rest of the time in college and life is for. You never stop learning. Last semester we had the NM initated after 8 week. I thought that it just made them feel out of place. Many of the said after they were initated they felt like they finally belonged or that they were official. I really don't think that the period in which they get initated is a big deal. I personally perfer the faster the better.

"The Pen is Mightier Than the Sword"
Land of Entrapment has me again

Last edited by flirt5721; 01-19-2006 at 05:44 PM.
Old 01-19-2006, 06:13 PM
GreekChat Member

i think it definitely effects retention, because i've noticed pledge classes that were new members for longer, even just one more week, tend to have more members stick around. I think with such early iniation dates sometimes girls don't fully realize what they're getting themselves into yet and quit after they're initiated.

"We are who we pretend to be." - Kurt Vonnegut
Old 01-19-2006, 06:33 PM
Super Moderator

i wish that the new member period had never changed. being a pledge for a whole quarter, returning a pledge after the winter break and anticipating my initiation sometime in january never made me feel that i wasn't part of the chapter.

all the sororities pledge classes initiated in january. some girls depledged, but not many members resigned once they were initiated.

now as an advisor, i have at least one girl from each new member class quit sometime after her initiation. i hate the thought of disgruntled girls running around with the knowledge of our initiation ceremony. perhaps if the new member(pledge)period was longer, the girls who were going to resign would do so as new members, not as newly initiated members.
Old 01-19-2006, 06:58 PM
GreekChat Member

I agree with FSUZeta. Initiation was something to look forward to after Christmas break. All of our sororities held intiations in January and thats just how it was - never thought another thing about it.

Why was the pledge period shortened? I guess I'm really out of it in my old age

As far as offices go, we could serve on a committee right after initiation. We couldn't be a committee chair or officier until the 2nd semester of our sophomore year. Again, it gave us something to look forward to.
Old 01-19-2006, 07:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via AIM to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via Yahoo to AchtungBaby80
Quote:
Originally posted by FSUZeta
now as an advisor, i have at least one girl from each new member class quit sometime after her initiation.
I've often wondered about that, because I've seen it happen a few times. Why would someone choose to initiate and then turn around and quit? But it happens...some have legitimate, understandable reasons, but most of the time they just sort of disappear.
Old 01-19-2006, 08:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to twhrider13
Back when I first joined my chapter, I was elected to the position of Vice-President of Programs about two weeks before I was actually initiated! Of course, I didn't start the position until the next semester, but our chapter was so small at the time that we pretty much had to get new members to take Exec positions.

In my case, the responsibility of the Exec position didn't lead to burnout. My burnout was actually caused by the exact opposite. While I was VP of Programs, I really enjoyed implementing new things to make the running of the chapter easier and doing things to help the chapter grow. The following year, I did a slate interview for VP of New Member Ed instead. I was the only person to do a slate interview who had been on Exec the previous year (everyone else was a brand-new initiate), and I was not slated for any position at all. By this time, the chapter had grown enough to where it wasn't necessary to bring new members up into Exec positions. It seemed almost like a slap in the face, a "we-don't-appreciate-your-efforts-at-all" kind of thing. (Not saying it was--maybe I was just being overly sensitive.) I just felt like I was a bit more qualified, having been on Exec for a year, than the girls who'd just been initiated just a week earlier! So I didn't even bother writing my name in on the ballot, which I regret now.

Anyway, the point of that long-winded story was to say that I started feeling burned out when I started feeling like some of the older sisters and I were being pushed aside. A lot of things happened that I didn't necessarily like. We felt like we didn't really have a voice to speak for us, and we felt useless and unappreciated. I'm one of those people who likes to feel like she's doing something--ok, a control freak!--, so being left without a position led to my burnout more than anything.

*Disclaimer: The above post may make little or no sense. I had a terrible migraine earlier, and the medicine I took for it has made my room start spinning right now. I'll come back and edit it later, if necessary!*
Old 01-20-2006, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Beanblossom1
Why was the pledge period shortened? I guess I'm really out of it in my old age
Theoretically, it cuts down on hazing, but I think that is BS. If your chapter really wants to haze, they can do it in 4 weeks as well as in 4 months - and newly initiated sisters can be hazed, too. It reminds me of the argument against curfews - "anything you can do after midnight you can do before."
Old 09-25-2016, 11:54 AM
Super Moderator

So ten years later, I would love to know how everybody feels about this!
Old 09-25-2016, 11:58 AM
GreekChat Member

I truly believe organization retention suffers from rushing through the new member period. When the new member period is longer, the new members (both sorority and fraternity) have time to really decide if they want to make the commitment and they actually understand exactly they are committing to (their individual organizations).
Old 09-25-2016, 01:30 PM
GreekChat Member

I think it's best to start newer members off in "lower" positions to help them adjust. That's how it was in my chapter for girls who were getting elected for the first time...unless they were already upperclassmen with a lot of college leadership experience.
Old 09-25-2016, 03:13 PM
GreekChat Member

I HATE the quick initiation. In my experience as a chapter advisor, it leads to a lack of knowledge about founders, ideals, history and ritual, a lack of appreciation for the commitment needed for sorority membership and a subsequent potential for burn out, lack of engagement and dis interest down the road.

The new members in large chapters don't even know the names and back stories of the members and making them learn those names, majors, home towns and stories is considered hazing. What is wrong with a 15-18 week pledge period? Hats off to Chi Omega for resisting the trend and sticking with a semester long new member period.