GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,042
Threads: 115,496
Welcome to our newest member, prettyandpearls
» Online Users: 1,322
2 members and 1,320 guests
anatexaxd6741

Old 01-28-2008, 07:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Buttonz Send a message via MSN to Buttonz Send a message via Yahoo to Buttonz
I didn't know that it was founded at Brooklyn College.

Patriae Multae Spes Una
Old 01-29-2008, 03:08 PM
GreekChat Member

another iota alum

I was sad to find out that IAPi is no more. I was a member of the Omicron chapter at Queens College in Flushing NY, graduating in 1964. It was a predominately Jewish sorority and one of the most active and highly regarded sororities on campus. Because Queens was a very large, commuter school, it made it harder make a place for yourself, but, being in a sorority made it possible. We met a our "spot" on the Quad and had a specific table in the Cafeteria. There was always a sister around to hang out with. Our pledges put on Greek Letter Day skits competing against the other sororities. Happily, Iota won more times than not. We had parties with Phi Ep, AEPi, TEP. Many of my sisters married men (boys) from these fraternities, myself included.
I, too, have lost touch with my sisters, but have vivid memories of very happy times.
Old 01-29-2008, 06:02 PM
GreekChat Member

"We had parties with Phi Ep, AEPi, TEP. Many of my sisters married men (boys) from these fraternities, myself included."

When you say "Phi EP" I am assuming you mean PHI EPSILON PI....correct?

ZBT:"Inspiring today's college men to be leader of tomorrow."
Old 01-29-2008, 11:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Temple was also a commuter college and Iota made us feel grounded at school and a great way to become involved in other activities on campus. We had one room in the panhellenic house and there were ten other sororities in the building. We shared common living room, dining room and kitchen and even had large ceremonies in the "carriage house". Mrs Littlehouse was the house mother/guard. No men allowed above the first floor and eveyone had to be in by 11! The ten sororites shared one pay phone and that was in the days when cell phones were only a far off dream.
Old 02-15-2008, 05:58 PM
GreekChat Member

For Devodude,
Yes, I was referring to Phi Epsilon Pi at Queens College. Did you know anyone from @'62-'64?
Old 02-15-2008, 08:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marilynbraverma View Post
Temple was also a commuter college and Iota made us feel grounded at school and a great way to become involved in other activities on campus. We had one room in the panhellenic house and there were ten other sororities in the building. We shared common living room, dining room and kitchen and even had large ceremonies in the "carriage house". Mrs Littlehouse was the house mother/guard. No men allowed above the first floor and eveyone had to be in by 11! The ten sororites shared one pay phone and that was in the days when cell phones were only a far off dream.
I love reading about stuff like this....
Old 02-15-2008, 10:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwaldman View Post
For Devodude,
Yes, I was referring to Phi Epsilon Pi at Queens College. Did you know anyone from @'62-'64?
I know 2 alumni that were in Phi Epsilon Pi (now ZBT) from NYU that are currently members of ZBT Internat'l Assembly. In fact, this past summer at our International Conference I was introduced to their wives, who were sisters of Iota Alpha Pi from NYU.

ZBT: "Inspiring today's college men to become leaders of tomorrow."
Old 02-15-2008, 11:02 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPIDelta View Post
I love reading about stuff like this....
I do, too! It's a part of history that we'll never know intimantly, yet seems so fascinating!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEVODUDE View Post
I know 2 alumni that were in Phi Epsilon Pi (now ZBT) from NYU that are currently members of ZBT Internat'l Assembly. In fact, this past summer at our International Conference I was introduced to their wives, who were sisters of Iota Alpha Pi from NYU.
One of my favorite people from high school has a Phi Ep father; my friend & his brother were considered ZBT legacies because of that. I thought that was a class act.
Old 02-16-2008, 12:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeychile View Post
I do, too! It's a part of history that we'll never know intimantly, yet seems so fascinating!

One of my favorite people from high school has a Phi Ep father; my friend & his brother were considered ZBT legacies because of that. I thought that was a class act.

That was one of the major contract agreements with the merging of Phi Ep into ZBT, that all Phi Ep ALumni were to be given Alumni recognition status under ZBT and all active Phi Ep brothers were to be automatically inducted and pinned as Active ZBT brothers. This created a lot of legacies for ZBT that came from Phi Ep. I myself thought this was a very smart move made by both Phi Ep and ZBT National Advisors.
Old 02-16-2008, 12:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Buttonz Send a message via MSN to Buttonz Send a message via Yahoo to Buttonz
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEVODUDE View Post
That was one of the major contract agreements with the merging of Phi Ep into ZBT, that all Phi Ep ALumni were to be given Alumni recognition status under ZBT and all active Phi Ep brothers were to be automatically inducted and pinned as Active ZBT brothers. This created a lot of legacies for ZBT that came from Phi Ep. I myself thought this was a very smart move made by both Phi Ep and ZBT National Advisors.
I agree. One of my grandmother's old bosses was a Phi Ep. We found this out last year in Jan when he was over (she is still friendly with him) and he saw me wearing letters and he made a comment and we started talking about it

Patriae Multae Spes Una
Old 02-17-2008, 05:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Hello IAPi Sorors from whatever school you went to. My name is Diane Zaconick Feit and I was in Iota at Syracuse University 1958-1962. Before I launch into many various topics, memories, etc. (although you should know the house was torn down recently)....let me say I am trying to stage a reunion in Breckinridge, Colorado this coming summer - probably July or August. Families welcome....all chapters welcome !!
One of my sisters now sets up ski trips there and can do the same for summer.
So I need a head count....anyone interested? Please send note and answer. Diane.............dianezw@comcast.net
Old 02-22-2008, 09:44 AM
GreekChat Member

iota alpha pi summer reunion

Hi, FYI Sigma chapter of Iota Alpha Pi (Temple University) is holding a reunion in Philadelphia area on March 30,2008 .contact marilynsteiner@aol.com if you are interested.
I will pass on the information about the national reunion to my sigma sisters at the reuion on March 30
Old 04-27-2008, 01:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Nu Chapter at Wayne State University (Detroit, MI) was very small compared to any sorority on campus during my college days (1965-1969) and was granted a 3rd rush period during the Winter quarter in 1967. It was then I was asked to rush. I did and became the first non-Jewish pledge (to my knowledge) in all of IAPi. Each of our chapter's pledge classes subsequent to my initiation had one non-Jewish pledge until 1969 when I graduated. I lost regular contact will all my sisters about 10 years ago when my pledge sister and dearest friend passed away.

The talk in the early 1970's when dissolution was being considered was that the identity of the sorority would be lost if they merged with another and it was my understanding that the majority wanted to continue with alumni meetings and maintain the intergity of what was and had been rather than change. My recall was there was also a lot of dissent regarding the admission of the non-Jewish members and what this might mean to the future, but that my only be my memory and not a significant factor. There was never any problem with diversity in the Nu chapter that I knew of.
Old 06-18-2008, 08:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Let's hear about some of those Iota memories.
Old 07-30-2008, 11:17 PM
GreekChat Member

I pledged, but did not join, Iota at Syracuse U. in January (?) 1971. My mother insisted that I "rush". This is what I remember; a beautiful house on Comstock Ave opposite the back of Haven Hall. Marble floors. A cedar closet for formal dresses upstairs. I had just returned from winter break in NYC where I had my hair cut at Vidal Sassoon. Two things that stick in my mind; the girl hanging up my coat looked at the label and when I received a positive comment on my hair, I dropped "Sassoon". Needless to say, I was invited back, although the other 2 Jewish sororities (AE Phi and some other one in a really modern house on Euclid Ave) did not want me. I was Jewish but not "Jappy" and never found my niche at Syracuse. It was a hard 3 1/2 years and I graduated early by taking extra credits. I spent a summer and a semester abroad in Israel, and loved the kids (not Jappy) but then I wasn't at all religious as they were so that was weird. Fish with feathers = my college experiences