GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,042
Threads: 115,496
Welcome to our newest member, prettyandpearls
» Online Users: 1,805
0 members and 1,805 guests
No Members online

Old 03-31-2003, 06:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: "...maybe tomorrow I'm gonna settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on."
Send a message via AIM to Lady Pi Phi
Iota Alpha Pi??

I was looking at canadiangreeks.com and came across a chapter of sorority called Iota Alpha Pi. They had their Kappa Chapter on the University of Toronto campus from 1926-1956. In 1971, their IHQ disbanded. So, it turns out that this sorority is no more. I had never heard of this and I was wondering if anyone else knows anything about it? All other inactive sorority chapters on UofT's campus are NPC sororities.
SO my question is, was Iota Alpha Pi an NPC sorority and why did their IHQ disband? Does anyone know anything about this org?

I'm just curious.

PPL,

Emily
Old 03-31-2003, 06:49 PM
GreekChat Member

IAPi was an NPC sorority, specifically a Jewish sorority. I don't know if they had any membership clauses but they were still predominantly Jewish when they folded. They did not merge with anyone else.
Old 04-01-2003, 12:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: "...maybe tomorrow I'm gonna settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on."
Send a message via AIM to Lady Pi Phi
Thanks FuzzieAlum for the info
Old 11-16-2006, 10:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Iota Alpha Pi

yes, this is three years late to post on this -- but I just came across the site while trying to locate information about my long-ago sorrority: Iota Alpha Pi -- don't remember the chapter, but it was at Syracuse University. At that time (1953), membership in a Greek house at Syracuse was pretty much determined by religious affiliation. Iota was primarily Jewish. It disbanded in the 70s, and I, alas, lost touch with many of my sisters.
mly
Old 11-16-2006, 01:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mly View Post
yes, this is three years late to post on this -- but I just came across the site while trying to locate information about my long-ago sorrority: Iota Alpha Pi -- don't remember the chapter, but it was at Syracuse University. At that time (1953), membership in a Greek house at Syracuse was pretty much determined by religious affiliation. Iota was primarily Jewish. It disbanded in the 70s, and I, alas, lost touch with many of my sisters.
mly
This is really interesting! I'm sorry you lost touch with your sisters though.

There are some sorority history buffs on Greek Chat that I'm sure would love to hear about your Iota Alpha Pi experience, myself included, if you were willing to post about it.

To let my lyre send forth the chords of love, unselfishness and sincerity
Old 11-17-2006, 01:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Buttonz Send a message via MSN to Buttonz Send a message via Yahoo to Buttonz
Quote:
mly
I'm sorry that you lost touch with many of your sisters.

I know I'd be interested in hearing your story!

Patriae Multae Spes Una
Old 11-19-2006, 12:29 AM
GreekChat Member

I would love to hear about your sorority!
Old 11-19-2006, 01:07 AM

So would I. Until I came to GC, I didn't know there had been any historically Jewish sororities other than AEPhi, SDT, and some locals/regionals here and there.

Did any IAPi chapters merge into AEPhi or SDT or other NPC sororities, or continue to operate as locals, when the national folded?
Old 11-20-2006, 10:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aephi alum View Post
So would I. Until I came to GC, I didn't know there had been any historically Jewish sororities other than AEPhi, SDT, and some locals/regionals here and there.

Did any IAPi chapters merge into AEPhi or SDT or other NPC sororities, or continue to operate as locals, when the national folded?
This was discussed at length in another thread: http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/pr...1&page=2&pp=15
Old 06-13-2007, 01:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Iota Alpha Pi

I was one of the founding members of an Iota Alpha Pi chapter at The City College of New York in 1965. I have not been in touch with anyone from my sorority since shortly after I graduated.

Carolyn (Stern) Fleischer
Old 09-05-2007, 10:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Another Iota soror

Quote:
mly
I was a member of Iota at Brooklyn College in the '60s. We are having a reunion in NYC this month (Sept 2007) and I was looking for a digital image of the Iota logo. I guess the organization disbanded before digital images, because this posting was about the only thing that showed up on Google, and nothing in Wikipedia. If anyone knows more, I'd love to hear it.
Old 09-05-2007, 10:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Iota from Brooklyn College

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFleischer View Post
I was one of the founding members of an Iota Alpha Pi chapter at The City College of New York in 1965. I have not been in touch with anyone from my sorority since shortly after I graduated.

Carolyn (Stern) Fleischer
Hi, Carolyn,
I was in Iota at Brooklyn College--a neighbor. Are you still in NYC? We are meeting later this month (Sept 2007). Do you know where I could get a digital or scanned copy of the Iota logo?
Ann Middleman
BC '67
Old 09-05-2007, 02:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Not the logo, but the badge.
Old 09-14-2007, 02:42 PM
GreekChat Member

There was a flannel blanket for Iota Alpha Pi on ebay a few months ago. I don't remember people bidding on it, so maybe the picture is still on ebay.

The image used looked like the crest. It had a pyramid with a candle on each side. Then, the letters IAPi around the pyramid. A very nice crest, I might add!!!

Good luck!
Old 01-28-2008, 05:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Iota Alpha Pi sorority

Iota Alpha Pi sorority was founded by ten Jewish women at Brooklyn college around 1910. I belonged to sigma chapter at the Temple university from 1960-64.We are having a reunion of our local chapter this Spring in Philadelphia. The national sorority was disbanded in the early seventies. The money in the treasury was donated to Camp Ramah in the Poconos and Camp Harlem to provide scholarships to young Jewish girls