GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,042
Threads: 115,496
Welcome to our newest member, prettyandpearls
» Online Users: 1,755
0 members and 1,755 guests
No Members online

Old 08-18-2022, 07:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Rushing at smaller northern colleges?

Does anyone have any experience or information about sorority recruitment at smaller schools like Hanover College, Monmouth College, Knox College, or similar schools? I have a daughter planning on going through recruitment at Hanover and goddaughters at Knox and Monmouth and I’m realizing that I know next to nothing about these small northern private schools.
Old 08-18-2022, 08:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Not at all like big SEC school recruitment. Very under the radar.
Old 08-18-2022, 08:54 PM
GreekChat Member

I can speak on Hanover…they’re in the same conference as my school and we also have a Fiji chapter there. All recruitment is deferred and happens in late January/early February I believe. It’s a small campus and all the groups have houses. The sororities include Theta, Chi O, Phi Mu and ADPi. She can check with the Greek office about sign-up. The campus is fairly Greek-oriented…but there’s no stigma in either being Greek or not. I know that recommendations are occasionally submitted, but there’s no requirement.

I hope this helps. Hanover is a Civil War era campus in Madison, IN, located on a bluff overlooking the Ohio River. They have an assortment of beautiful classic brick buildings. Hanover is particularly striking in thd fall when the foliage is on fire with color. It has a laid back academic vibe.
Old 08-18-2022, 11:25 PM
GreekChat Member

My niece just graduated from Knox. Recruitment is in the spring and there are 4 chapters -- ASA, Tri Delta, KKG,
and Pi Phi.

According to my niece, recruitment is just "Very Knox-like". Low pressure, academics are stressed, very supportive. She had a hard time deciding which house she wanted, so she snagged a pet therapy appointment. After snuggling Olive the therapy dog, she made her choice.

The campus is really nice, and there's quite a bit to do. Staff and administration are great. She's in grad school at another school now and says Knox set her up for success.
Old 08-18-2022, 11:32 PM
GreekChat Member

While I didn't attend any of these, I did go to a smaller, northern school.

Rush is a lot more relaxed and less flashy than rush in the south. Heck, earlier rounds might just require you to wear a nice sweater, jeans, and a good boot and you're good to go. And at a smaller school with deferred rush, the PNM will have ample opportunity to get a feel for each chapter and potentially get to know sisters beforehand, and the decision could be a little more informed than going through rush right when you get to campus.

The only thing I can't speak on is recs. At mine, you didn't need them at all, but it could be different depending on the school.

Since 1888

If I can get a bid so can you; a longer recruitment story