GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,040
Threads: 115,496
Welcome to our newest member, ausinpetrov7195
» Online Users: 1,466
1 members and 1,465 guests
Cookiez17

Old 08-17-2022, 04:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Grant Sikes, transgender ‘main character of Bama Rush,’ cut from every sorority

I didn't want to hijack the Alabama recruitment thread in case this turned into a larger discussion, so I'm posting it here.

https://www.al.com/news/2022/08/gran...outputType=amp

Quote:
Grant Sikes, a transgender student at University of Alabama, was cut from every sorority during rush last week.

The student, who TikTok users named “the main character of Bama Rush,” announced that she was dropped from the Panhellenic process in a TikTok posted last week.

“It is extremely upsetting and I’m sad because I wanted to be part of a sisterhood and more than that, a community,” said Sikes, who was cut before the final round of rush.

@~/~~~~
Old 08-17-2022, 04:27 PM
GreekChat Member

I watched his recruitment process when Bama rush tok started up again. At first I legit thought he was making outfits based on whatever round it was for fun. But he was rushing, and even got to sisterhood round before getting dropped from the process.

Since 1888

If I can get a bid so can you; a longer recruitment story
Old 08-17-2022, 04:59 PM
Super Moderator

The consensus seems to be that he had been living as a gay man and only rushed to get likes on his social media. Also, his grades apparently sucked and he had an arrest record and a lot of Bama people were talking about how racist he is.
Old 08-17-2022, 05:01 PM
GreekChat Member

He's been living as gay and just did the trans thing for recruitment....not the same
Old 08-17-2022, 07:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Poor grades? She's lucky she got any invitations then. Arrest record? LOL. Racist? No thanks. And then there's the whole "farming rush and creating drama for likes and follows" thing. If you value sisterhood, stop exploiting it and invest some effort in COB. Somebody ask her if she's down with "bottom house."
Old 08-17-2022, 07:42 PM

The main character? Do these idiots on tiktok know rush is people’s lives and not some random show?
Old 08-17-2022, 08:30 PM
GreekChat Member

A lot of people on the app either have never heard of greek life or their knowledge comes from that one ADPi doorchant that went viral a while back.

Since 1888

If I can get a bid so can you; a longer recruitment story
Old 08-18-2022, 10:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
The consensus seems to be that he had been living as a gay man and only rushed to get likes on his social media. Also, his grades apparently sucked and he had an arrest record and a lot of Bama people were talking about how racist he is.

Well with poor grades, an arrest record and reported racist behavior, I can see why Grant would not have been extended a bid. That's too much of a risk for any chapter.
Old 08-18-2022, 10:13 AM
GreekChat Member

I literally did not know that this was for real.
Old 08-18-2022, 12:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
Is there proof of any of this, or are these just rumors? I can't find anything online.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
The main character? Do these idiots on tiktok know rush is people’s lives and not some random show?
But the PNMs are putting themselves out there on TikTok. What would they expect to happen?

@~/~~~~
Old 08-18-2022, 12:32 PM
Super Moderator

Several people in the know have put it out there about his grades and the rest. No names.
Old 08-18-2022, 04:40 PM
GreekChat Member

With the way Bama Rush has blown up on TikTok, I suspect some social media influencer types will go through just for the added views and followers (or whatever they’re called on TT I’m old!). I suspect this Grant person is one of them. It’s a really easy to just slide your name and profile information into the national media spotlight.
Old 08-18-2022, 07:26 PM
GreekChat Member

He just went on TikTok and said that he is not transgender, he is not nonbinary, and he identifies as a male. Maybe it’s just me but I don’t understand why he didn’t clarify this before sorority recruitment and I hate to sound unkind but I think the reason is attention. He knew he wouldn’t get a bid and he continues on with all of this for attention and followers. It is a whole big mess and it’s a shame that it’s reflecting negatively on the Panhellenic system.
Old 08-18-2022, 08:26 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't see that it reflects negatively on PH. He lied. He had invites. He got dropped. EOS.
Old 08-18-2022, 11:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Ugh. What a fiasco!

I don’t think it reflects negatively for PH though. They took him at his word when he filled out the application and gave him a chance. That’s what you’re supposed to do: when someone tells you their gender identity, believe it and respect them. Take them as they are presenting themselves. That’s what everyone did.

There’s only one person who comes off looking really bad here.