GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,042
Threads: 115,496
Welcome to our newest member, prettyandpearls
» Online Users: 1,481
2 members and 1,479 guests
nataliecavsoz41, Pinkmagnolia921

Old 07-03-2022, 03:33 AM
Super Moderator

Post Interesting disscussion regarding 'Bama Rush tiktok

Researching something else, I came across this video.
I think it's a great discussion and I'm curious as to what folks here think about it.
It's a little under 24 minutes.

Glamorizing White Femininity: Rush Culture and the Price of Assimilation | BAMA RUSH TIKTOK, DECODED
Amanda Bennett, PH.D. Candidate

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgoRrj8DrJw

Content warning: sexual violence, rape culture, racism, Confederacy.

Bama Rush TikTok has been explained, and explained, and explained, in major publications like The New York Time and the Vox. But is there more to the trend beyond our fascination with sorority women engaging in the rush process at the University of Alabama? Amanda Bennett and Anastasia Kārkliņa Gabriel unpack Greek rush culture, the recent Bama Rush trend on TikTok; and how predominantly white sororities in the U.S. South promote assimilation into whiteness though the performance of white femininity that is erected upon white patriarchal ideals, which structurally excludes women with marginalized identities as well as non-binary and trans people or force them to assimilate into whiteness.
Old 07-03-2022, 05:44 PM
GreekChat Member

It's too bad there are a lot of generalities thrown about by the speakers. They jump from topic to topic.

The interview sounds as if it is cut-up and spliced, not continuous.

Did the women speaking over the words/photos within this video ACTUALLY HAVE DISCUSSIONS WITH THE TYPE OF WOMEN THEY ARE SPEAKING ABOUT? And in order to make more cogent points, shouldn't the video producers have allowed women with horror stories about sororities speak their minds within this video?

All I want to say is thank God we live in a country with freedom of speech and the freedom to disagree, but the opportunity to listen anyway. I really wanted to hear what the video producers were saying, but to my mind they first have to make some logical and true sense.

Ooh, Foucault is mentioned. Camille Paglia is somewhere laughing.

Last edited by Cheerio; 07-03-2022 at 05:55 PM.
Old 07-04-2022, 12:02 PM
GreekChat Member

There was certainly a lot to unpack in this video, while I do wish they did a deeper dive into a particular topic area, but I get that they were trying to unpack TikTok videos around Bama rush but I think they going into this an that you sort of locked the unlocking the mystery of these TikTok videos.

But what I do see is there is a lot still a lot of general systemic issues that still impact recruitment of those PNMs who don't quite fit the typical sorority mold. There are also clearly issues with the culture of how these individuals are raised and the expectations of how to enter into "society".

I think really at the end of the day its really about addressing these systemic issues and some of the cultural expectations that still occur on some campuses that need to change in order to really see the make up of membership.

I've been serving in a regional role for my org for a few years, and one thing that is abundantly clear is that there is still a disconnected between collegiate chapters and initiatives from their respective organizations exec offices. I think may orgs are working are working to acknowledge their not so lovely pasts but that's only one step, its then enacting changes to move them forward.
Old 07-06-2022, 03:49 PM
GreekChat Member

*Groan*
Can't girls just have fun?

Old 07-08-2022, 07:18 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnchorAlumna View Post
*Groan*
Can you elaborate?
Old 07-08-2022, 07:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Have fun without endless examinations of their purpose, meaning, how they fit into the world, how they're viewed by male/female/trans/political/intellectual/feminist/woke/non-denominational/religious/proletariat/sexist/non-sexist/bourgeouis/racists/regionalist/toxic/opinionated/crap/sensitive/woke/non-woke/whathaveyou gobledygook.

Old 07-08-2022, 10:11 PM
GreekChat Member

2022: Be whomever you want!!!!!

Except if you’re a feminine woman. Then STOP IT IMMEDIATELY.
Old 07-08-2022, 10:38 PM
GreekChat Member

I mean with the Bama tik tok stuff, it was more intrigue than anything, especially with people from overseas where there isn't Greek life. Plus a lot of people were rooting on the girls as they went through their rounds and eventually got their homes!

Since 1888

If I can get a bid so can you; a longer recruitment story
Old 07-08-2022, 11:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JonInKC
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnchorAlumna View Post
*Groan*

That's all they really want. Is some fun.

When the working day is done, girls, they wanna have fun.

p a w e a since 1899
Old 07-09-2022, 01:36 PM

Send a message via ICQ to sigtau305 Send a message via Yahoo to sigtau305 Send a message via Skype™ to sigtau305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheerio View Post

Did the women speaking over the words/photos within this video ACTUALLY HAVE DISCUSSIONS WITH THE TYPE OF WOMEN THEY ARE SPEAKING ABOUT? And in order to make more cogent points, shouldn't the video producers have allowed women with horror stories about sororities speak their minds within this video?
I was expecting a few women talking about their experiences. Overall, this video has been interesting.

LetEmKnow!!RollTau!!
Old 07-10-2022, 12:27 PM
GreekChat Member

I could barely make it through 24 minutes of that. Honestly these two seem like they have a personal vendetta in terms of Greek Life. As for the Tic Tock girls what you see is not always what you get and lots of research is done on these so called influencer PNMs because they don't want the potential scandals that come with some of them. Trust me negative videos/texts/pictures always make there way to recruitment chairs if you are gaining fame on social media. 89% of the PNMS who went through Bama recruitment last year ended up being on someone's lawn on bid day. If you go in with open mind and maximize your options it really it isn't that hard to find a place you belong like these two are claiming.

Last edited by zetamae; 07-10-2022 at 12:34 PM.