GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,044
Threads: 115,496
Welcome to our newest member, NikiMussen
» Online Users: 1,483
0 members and 1,483 guests
No Members online

Old 02-07-2011, 11:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Dear Troll

Seems to be the seasons for trolls. Here are stock answers to troll questions:

1. Should I drop my sorority/fraternity
:
How can we know? We don't know you. Usually you are a newbie to these boards so we have no idea how to answer you. If you are thinking about dropping, DROP!

2. Does your sorority/fraternity/school haze?
Automatic answer: NO. It is illegal to haze so why would anyone on this board admit to doing it? Remember whatever you write today will still be available on the internet by the time you become a great-grandparent.

3. I belong to ABC sorority/fraternity. I was initiated last week but can't remember what the handshake/secret motto/ritual means. Someone please tell me!
Are you out of your mind? Do you really think people are going to post answers to ritual on a public board? It obviously does not mean much to you if you want someone to publicly tell you the answers to your questions. We don't know you. What proof do we have that you are a real member, not just a troll?

4. I am interested in joining ABC fraternity/sorority. Will some one please write me a recommendation. I really want to be an ABC. I have wanted this since I was old enough to talk but I don't know anyone in ABC so don't know who to ask.
You don't know anyone in the house? How do you know that this is the house you want to join? Would you set your best friend up with a stranger walking down the street? Then why do you think anyone would be willing to write a recommendation to an absolutely total stranger? Get off the computer and find a friend or relative who knows you to write the recommendation for you.

5.I am absolutely gorgeous, with top grades attending a top ranked school. I really want to join a top tier house. Why did they all drop me?
How would anyone on the board know? We don't know you, we don't know the active members in the houses who are extending bids. Could it be that you went to each house so full of yourself that no one could stand you? Just because you are oh so beautiful and won every beauty pageant your mother entered you into since you were born, that does not mean that those in the house can't see through your high and mighty attitude. None of us are sitting in membership selection sessions where your name is discussed. What goes on in membership selection remains in membership selection.

6. I joined ABC sorority. I am transferring to another school in which my sorority is not on the campus. Can I go through rush and join another house?
Every woman who joins an NPC chapter is told more than once that once you are initiated, you are ineligible to join another house. Clean the wax out of your ears during your new member meeting so that you learn about your house and know the rules for joining. They are in place to protect every house and ever member. Don't ask people on the boards to tell you how to circumvent the rules!

DaffyKD

Last edited by DaffyKD; 08-07-2012 at 11:09 AM.
Old 02-08-2011, 03:11 AM
Super Moderator

Old 02-11-2011, 12:45 AM
GreekChat Member

ive noticed the increased troll traffic as well, love your preemptive response
Old 02-11-2011, 01:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Love this... but I SO miss BabyFuzzy. I was hanging on every word of her life... quitting her sorority, sleeping with whoever paid her the least bit of attention... and all of his fraternity brothers, law school or not. And now I'll never know if she was lavaliered by her Big! Life seems so empty......
Old 03-09-2011, 11:05 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm quitting my sorority. Can I keep my pin? Can I tell them I lost my pin? I paid for the pin, I want to make a profit off my pin.
The pin/badge has a special meaning to the members. if you no longer wish to belong to the organization, you are no longer eligible to to partake of the privileges while turning your back on the responsibility. You are renting the pin for as long as you are a member. If you vacate your apartment, do you get to take the carpet, the walls, the toilet and or the shower with you just because you gave your landlord money? If you rent a car and turn it in after the end of the lease, do you really think the dealer is going to give you back any of the upgrades to that vehicle? TURN YOUR PIN IN> IT IS NOT YOURS! if the organization wishes to take you to small claims court, they will bring the paperwork you signed. A judge will not only order you to return the pin/badge but also reimburse the organization for any expenses incurred while attempting to have you return the pin/badge. Many organizations will not approve your application to withdraw your membership until you return your pin. Until the application is delayed, your financial responsibility to the group will still remain in force thus costing a considerable amount of money.

I don't want my "BIG to hate me when I resign my membership.
They won't necessarily hate you, they will be hurt and disappointed. They invested time in you and you wasted their time. You turned your back on them. You are gone, so be it. Out of sight, out of mind. You want to keep that pin and lie to the members, who wants to associate themselves with a liar and and cheater?

Last edited by DaffyKD; 03-10-2011 at 10:08 PM.
Old 03-10-2011, 04:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Although I understand the intent of the post (and slightly humorous), some of the advice is not sound and this is read by everyone, troll or not.

*If you are thinking of dropping, DROP!
--> No, just no. This is terrible advice. Yes, they may end up dropping, but making the decision based on just thinking about it partially, will likely lead to regret.

*Do they haze?
--> It is illegal and everyone's policy to not haze. Do some people break the law/rules? YES. We don't know who and they won't tell you.
Old 03-10-2011, 07:56 AM
GreekChat Member

^^
Urm kind of missing the point on the whole drop/don't drop issue.

I'm sure every member goes through a phase where they think that maybe Greek life isn't for them, I certainly did. But I never EVER once considered dropping out of Kappa, I made a commitment for LIFE the day that i took part in my initiation ceremony.

If the "maybe i should drop out" thought does pop into your head, then you were obviously never that serious about your GLO in the first place, and yeah, I agree with Daffy and every other GC member that say:

"if you're asking random strangers if you should drop youir GLO or not, then drop"
Old 03-10-2011, 08:12 AM
GreekChat Member

^^That's ok- Splash was kind of a troll herself for about 95% of her posts.
Old 03-10-2011, 01:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKGCaroline View Post
^^
Urm kind of missing the point on the whole drop/don't drop issue.

I'm sure every member goes through a phase where they think that maybe Greek life isn't for them, I certainly did. But I never EVER once considered dropping out of Kappa, I made a commitment for LIFE the day that i took part in my initiation ceremony.

If the "maybe i should drop out" thought does pop into your head, then you were obviously never that serious about your GLO in the first place, and yeah, I agree with Daffy and every other GC member that say:

"if you're asking random strangers if you should drop youir GLO or not, then drop"
Absolutely false. And I don't think Greekchat is the best place to go for this advice, because as you said we're all strangers, but I understand the rationale. You're probably not going to talk to your sisters about it and sometimes family or other friends isn't right either. It's anonymous and most likely a GLO member. General advice can be offered.
Old 03-10-2011, 01:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splash View Post
Absolutely false. And I don't think Greekchat is the best place to go for this advice, because as you said we're all strangers, but I understand the rationale. You're probably not going to talk to your sisters about it and sometimes family or other friends isn't right either. It's anonymous and most likely a GLO member. General advice can be offered.
Going to your big and saying "I don't feel like I'm fitting in" or "I don't know if Greek life is for me" is what should be done. That's why posters have fun with those kinds of posts -- we're not the people that "potential dropees" need to be speaking with.

People dropped/resigned before GC was around. These newer members need to be able to function without the site.

Old 03-10-2011, 02:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_shadow View Post
Going to your big and saying "I don't feel like I'm fitting in" or "I don't know if Greek life is for me" is what should be done. That's why posters have fun with those kinds of posts -- we're not the people that "potential dropees" need to be speaking with.

People dropped/resigned before GC was around. These newer members need to be able to function without the site.

Technology has made folks weaker.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0Xa4bHcJu8
Old 03-10-2011, 03:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluPhire View Post
Technology has made folks weaker.
That still doesn't make coddling our responsibility

GC and the internet were around when I pledged, but talking to people who were directly involved in my process was not a foreign concept. That seems to be the case these days, though.

Last edited by knight_shadow; 03-10-2011 at 03:24 PM.
Old 03-10-2011, 03:17 PM
GreekChat Member

When I was an advisor, there was a girl in my chapter who wanted to “drop.” She was seriously considering it. She didn’t know if she could meet the financial obligations, and she said she didn’t feel like she was fitting in. She didn’t initiate with her class, which was her decision (and it was approved by National Staff), and she had many doubts. But eventually she decided to initiate, the chapter had a small ceremony for her, and she’s been happy as a clam ever since.

So yes, it IS possible for new members/sisters to think about resigning, but then to come to the realization that it's not as bad as they thought.

However, this girl went to her big first, then to the president, and the president directed her to the chapter advisor. She discussed everything with SISTERS whom she KNOWS, and then she thought long and hard ON HER OWN and decided that she wanted to stick it out. She didn’t come to a public message board and ask whether or not she should initiate or go her separate way.

The people who do come here regarding such matters remind me of the trolls who ask for advice, then get mad when you don’t tell them what they want to hear. I feel like the troll who is here asking if they should resign already KNOWS that they really want to, they’re just looking for reassurance that it’s the right thing to do.

@~/~~~~
Old 03-10-2011, 05:00 PM

I find that the peeps who come here talking about dropping already KNOW what they want to do and just want to post about it (and call us meanies for offering rational advice.)

Lakers Nation.
Old 07-24-2011, 12:11 PM
GreekChat Member

It's troll breeding time so I have bumped this topic. Looks like a few more questions and answers need to be added since the current troll topic is recruitment with less than stellar grades.

DaffyKD