GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,366
0 members and 1,366 guests
No Members online

Old 08-25-2010, 06:21 PM
GreekChat Member

My University of Southern California recruitment :)

Hello!

After much debate and deliberation, I have decided to make a recruitment thread. Recruitment starts tonight, and I am looking forward to it!

In honor of Ellie's acceptance to the USC med school, I will name the sororities after characters on the TV show Chuck.

(for the record, the character has absolutely nothing to do with the characteristics of each house. I just love the show a lot. So don't be offended, Lester and Jeff! )

I actually didn't want to do a "blinded" thread, but since I am a legacy to one chapter and I'll probably reveal other things about myself, I'll keep it blinded, unfortunately.

I also can't promise to be "brutally honest." I am always honest naturally, and I'm a pretty optimistic person, so I think well of almost everyone, so my apologies if you're looking for something juicier than what I have to say.

Without further ado (and I've had quite a bit of ado already), may I present the sororities:
Chuck (legacy--grandmother & great-grandmother)
Sarah (three letters [my grandmother went a tad overboard])
Casey (letter)
Ellie
Captain Awesome
Morgan (letter)
Jeff
Lester (letter--I think?)
Anna

So I'm obviously a double legacy to Chuck, though I think I'm only officially a single legacy. My grandmother really enjoyed her time as a Chuck (at a different school), but she has made it clear that there is no obligation for me to pledge Chuck, she just wants me to be where I'm happiest.

There is also one sorority on campus that is doing continuous informal recruitment. My friend is a sister of that sorority at a different school, and she really likes it. I will definitely keep them in mind if I don't feel a connection with any of the sororities that are participating in formal recruitment.

So... recruitment starts in an hour and a half! We met our RCs last night, they seem really nice. It is a HUGE group of girls rushing this year, it's kind of insane. I actually know a few of the girls in my group already from class, orientation, open houses, etc. My suitemate, one of my old friends from summer camp, and some other people I know are also going through recruitment, but they're in different groups.

I'm very very excited and a little nervous for recruitment! I hope I like the girls and that they like me (a very common sentiment, I'm sure ). I haven't met very many women who are already in houses (mostly because I'm afraid of talking to them and somehow breaking Panhellic rules. I'm also from the other side of the country and only knew my friend from summer camp, a sophomore spring admit, before coming here), but the ones I have met are really really nice, so I'm optimistic. A lady who works for my dad was a Casey at our rival school, and she and I chatted before I left about what greek life is like, and I guess that she seemed apprehensive about was when I said that I have a pretty good "genuine" detector--I usually know when someone's being fake. Hopefully I'll form a real connection with the women, though, and won't have to worry about falseness.

I'll do my best to keep you posted!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-25-2010, 06:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Good luck girl!

I'm going through the same thing
How funny if we're in the same group or end up in the same pc?!

Fight On!<3
Old 08-25-2010, 06:57 PM
GreekChat Member

best of luck to you both - USC has a great Greek system. Enjoy your recruitment.
Old 08-25-2010, 07:12 PM
GreekChat Member

thanks!

And AzTheta, I'm feeling you on the location today! It's been a hot few days here as well.

trojangirl, pm me your RCs?
Old 08-25-2010, 07:51 PM
GreekChat Member

By the way, you might want to relocate (if its possible) this to recruitment stories. But I am following this...except that I won't be near a computer all weekend!!! Darn)

I wish all the pnms at SC the best of luck, happiness and the best time ever. I know that the actives in the Trojan family are ready to go. They really can't wait to meet all of you.

Fight on!!!!
Old 08-25-2010, 11:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Good luck to all the SC PNMs! Have fun, and fight on!!
Old 08-25-2010, 11:38 PM
GreekChat Member

aw oops! I thought this was the right thread.

recruitment is going great! we're on an hour break right now, so I'm just updating from my phone, but I really love this! it's so much fun, and every girl I've net is so nice! I've visited Chuck and Anna and one other sorority whose codename I can't remember, and then I'm visiting Captain Awesome and Casey, I think, after this. I will write more later!
Old 08-26-2010, 12:20 AM
GreekChat Member

I love this show so much I can't decide who to root for! Ok, go Casey and Morgan!
Old 08-26-2010, 03:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Hokay. Today is done.

First house: Jeff.
Oh my goodness, I loved this house. Four girls rushed me, and they were all SO nice and we had a lot to talk about. I really loved them, I felt like I got along really well with the women. I truly enjoyed my time at the house. When I left, I said, "Man, if all the houses are like this, I have no clue how I'm going to pick at the end!"

Also, just saying, totally wasn't expecting flavored water.

Second house: Anna.
The girls in this house were really nice, I liked them, though not as much as the girls from Jeff. One of the women who rushed me doesn't even attend USC, which I thought was kind of odd--she's an Anna member at another nearby-ish school.

Third house: Chuck.
Oh my goodness, everything about this house was ridiculously beautiful, inside and out. As we were waiting outside the house, there was a beautiful sunset, and a hummingbird came and fed right in front of us. The inside of the house and its yard area were really nice, too, and the girls were stunning as well. I was kind of intimidated by the greeting party, I'm not going to lie, they seemed TOO perfect, but all of the women with whom I spoke were really cool and I found something with which I could connect with all of them. I really liked this house, but it is a popular one. Hopefully my legacy status (and myself ) will keep me from being cut, because I'd really like to get to know these girls better.

Fourth house: Casey.
The girls in this house were really nice, but I didn't feel like we had that much in common or like there was a real connection, which was a shame, because like I said, they were so nice!

Fifth house: Captain Awesome.
I loved my first rusher, she and I had a lot to talk about, even though it was really late at night and we were both really tired. I liked my second rusher too, though not as much. I definitely want to learn more about this house, though.

So, in sum,

Loved:
Jeff, Chuck

Liked:
Captain Awesome

Take it or leave it (so far):
Casey, Anna

All in all, I really loved rush! It was a lot of fun, which was way different from what I was expecting. Most of the women I've met just sound five times more tired when they talk about recruitment, but I really enjoyed it. I didn't like USC's system of having so many breaks, I would have rather just done all my parties in a row, but I can't really do anything about that.

I'm looking forward to meeting the other four houses tomorrow! Agh I can't wait!

I love the process so much, but I'm also so impatient to find out if/where I get a bid!

haha, sorry about all the excitement, I am a teenage girl after all.
Old 08-26-2010, 06:42 AM
GreekChat Member

It sounds like you have a great attitude. If you're telling us these in the order you actually saw them, keep in mind that you may have started to lose interest in the houses as you got tired, so your lack of connection might just have been fatigue on your or your rusher's part, or both!

This week is grueling, and I personally think fatigue and burnout affect where you end up more than just about anything else. Use your breaks to shut down for a minute and recharge the mental batteries!

Best of luck to you!
Old 08-26-2010, 10:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Good point^^ I also wanted to say at the house were you met the member who went to another school; they may be in a rebuilding phase or just colonized on campus. Give them a chance and a second look. Sometimes becoming a member of a Chapter in transition can be super rewarding. Have fun and Good Luck!~
Old 08-26-2010, 01:12 PM
GreekChat Member

haha, yeah, I know we were all really tired at Captain Awesome, but I definitely want to give them another chance. And it's not that I didn't like Casey, but I got the impression that I wouldn't really fit in there. I'm saying no outright, yet, though.

I believe Anna is actually very well established on campus. The only newly colonized chapter is not participating in formal recruitment--the rest of the chapters (i.e. all of the chapters participating in formal recruitment) have been on campus since at least 1947.
Old 08-26-2010, 03:12 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm rushing at USC too! Last night was tiring but amazing. So excited for tonight!
Old 08-26-2010, 06:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaeb View Post
Hokay. Today is done.

First house: Jeff.
Oh my goodness, I loved this house. Four girls rushed me, and they were all SO nice and we had a lot to talk about. I really loved them, I felt like I got along really well with the women. I truly enjoyed my time at the house. When I left, I said, "Man, if all the houses are like this, I have no clue how I'm going to pick at the end!"

Also, just saying, totally wasn't expecting flavored water.

Second house: Anna.
The girls in this house were really nice, I liked them, though not as much as the girls from Jeff. One of the women who rushed me doesn't even attend USC, which I thought was kind of odd--she's an Anna member at another nearby-ish school.

Third house: Chuck.
Oh my goodness, everything about this house was ridiculously beautiful, inside and out. As we were waiting outside the house, there was a beautiful sunset, and a hummingbird came and fed right in front of us. The inside of the house and its yard area were really nice, too, and the girls were stunning as well. I was kind of intimidated by the greeting party, I'm not going to lie, they seemed TOO perfect, but all of the women with whom I spoke were really cool and I found something with which I could connect with all of them. I really liked this house, but it is a popular one. Hopefully my legacy status (and myself ) will keep me from being cut, because I'd really like to get to know these girls better.

Fourth house: Casey.
The girls in this house were really nice, but I didn't feel like we had that much in common or like there was a real connection, which was a shame, because like I said, they were so nice!

Fifth house: Captain Awesome.
I loved my first rusher, she and I had a lot to talk about, even though it was really late at night and we were both really tired. I liked my second rusher too, though not as much. I definitely want to learn more about this house, though.

So, in sum,

Loved:
Jeff, Chuck

Liked:
Captain Awesome

Take it or leave it (so far):
Casey, Anna

All in all, I really loved rush! It was a lot of fun, which was way different from what I was expecting. Most of the women I've met just sound five times more tired when they talk about recruitment, but I really enjoyed it. I didn't like USC's system of having so many breaks, I would have rather just done all my parties in a row, but I can't really do anything about that.

I'm looking forward to meeting the other four houses tomorrow! Agh I can't wait!

I love the process so much, but I'm also so impatient to find out if/where I get a bid!

haha, sorry about all the excitement, I am a teenage girl after all.

1.) Im pretty sure thats not allowed..lol idk maybe its different at USC?
2.) Maybe b/c it was against the rules lol
3.) Impressive....
Old 08-26-2010, 06:36 PM
GreekChat Member

I think she meant like the cucumber flavored water. When they just have cucumber it in to like decorate but it ends up tasting like cucumber cause I know one of the houses had that and it was pretty tasty haha