GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24

Old 07-06-2015, 12:03 PM
GreekChat Member

House Director Position

Hello Greek Chat Members,

I am reaching out to all of you for some advice. I will be interviewing this week for a House Director position and I was wondering what are some important questions to ask during the interview and also what would be some good personal and professional experiences or attributes to highlight that would align well with the position. I'll be interviewing with the Fraternity Housing Corporation. For any of you who have served as a House Director, I would also be very interested in learning more about your experiences.

Thanks for any and all advice!
Old 07-06-2015, 06:41 PM
Super Moderator

Our house director had to vacate the premises when initiation was being held. The chapter booked and paid for a hotel room for her. You might ask about that.
Old 07-06-2015, 07:16 PM
GreekChat Member

I would ask about the duties. What other staff are there, and what is your role in supervising them (division of duties between yourself and the other staff -- cleaning, cooking, etc.)?

You may want to ask what challenges have presented themselves to past house directors...I'm an AHC president and our 30 residents have a communal kitchen. We have a new house director and this was the main area we discussed...lessons learned, making sure kitchen chore rotations duties are done, etc. I think every situation has its challenges.

You may want to ask about whether the house directors meet, socialize, etc.
Old 07-06-2015, 07:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Some also are considered university employees though the HC interviews and hires/fires them which gives them the opportunity for U benefits. I'd ask about that relationship as well.
Old 07-06-2015, 11:12 PM
GreekChat Member

To echo Sciencewoman, I would definitely ask about the challenges. Two of my closest friends were house directors (one still is, actually) and they have definitely faced some major issues that were not mentioned during the interview process.
Old 07-07-2015, 01:18 AM
GreekChat Member

It takes a VERY SPECIAL personality to be a House Director. Every situation is different and flexibility is key and a good sense of humor a must. "You will have to know when to hold 'em and know when to fold 'em".
Love to hear how it goes.
Old 07-09-2015, 03:54 PM
GreekChat Member

I know this is a few days old now, but you're going to have to show the interviewing committee that you are capable of handling the running of a chapter facility, and dealing with the members and any issues that may arise, despite your young age.

Sometimes younger house directors are fantastic, but it takes a certain personality (the same goes for HD who are older). Also be aware that many of the other house directors you'll be associating with will be 20-40 years older than you.

Good luck!
Perhaps it'll be a hootshinpaloozaree. I don't know.
Old 07-09-2015, 04:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Be sure to ask what the alcohol policies are within the chapter, their national HQ and with the University. And smoking policies of anything smokable ...