GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Dating & Relationships

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,282
3 members and 1,279 guests
3DGator, FSUZeta, LaneSig

Old 02-13-2008, 10:10 AM
GreekChat Member

THankfully my caterer doesn't charge a corkage fee just a flat liquor liability fee- and our reception location allows us to bring our own alcohol in. If you go to most large liquor retailers and tell them how many people you are having and what types of drinkers they are they most likely can give you a good estimate of how much of what you need. I am using Liquor Barn (a chain) and we are doing it on consignment so anything we don't use we can return for credit. Not exactly our money back, but better than a kick in the teeth.

As for wedding budgets- we blew through ours so much quicker than I thought we would. $2k for a good photographer, $8k for the caterer (maybe $9k if everyone comes) then there is the dress, the hair, the veil, flowers, the church, the reception hall, linens, china, silverware, glasses, decorations, DJ/Band..... etc. etc. etc. It seems like it never ends! And everytime you turn around it is another deposit or $1k so annoying!

Good luck! Thankfully I am in the home stretch. We are ordering the invitations this weekend and all that is left is to go rent the chair covers (our location has hideous chairs!).

Facebook
Old 02-13-2008, 12:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SthrnZeta View Post
And what's the deal with all the pieces in the invitation? Do you really need a separate one for the reception - can't you just say reception to follow since the reception site is on the same property as the chapel? Just seems silly to me... We would like people to RSVP on our wedding site but we know some may prefer to mail in a card so we'll include that also. Just seems like invitations are unncecessarily expensive, and then you throw in the Save the Date magnets we want and it's approaching $4-500!! And that doesn't include programs and napkins and any other stationary items! I mean, is $20,000 a realistic budget for a wedding of approx 100 people?
Invitation-You can do what you want. If you can have a simple regular invite, you can just put "reception immediately following" on the bottom. Then just insert a standard response card and envelope. I know that pocketfolds are popular right now, but they are not a must. I know that we have a good portion of guests that are out of town (OOT), so we are doing pocketfolds to include all information. If you have a website, this may also work, but don't forget your non-tech guests.

I would look into Vistaprint.com for your save-the-date magnets. I designed ours myself in Adobe and had them printed (I'm lucky to have some design knowledge though). Sign up for their coupons and you can get the magnets free or really discounted. It was like $30 for 100 I think. I am also going to order thank you cards from them as well with our monogram on them that I designed too.

Yes, your budget is realistic for 100 guests. There are ways to cut costs so you can spend in others. I don't know how crafty you are, but there are a lot of things you can do yourself, like invitations, programs, etc. Plus there are things people "think" they need and they don't. Programs and favors are big ones. I'd rather not have a program than a xerox copy of the ceremony thanks! Check ebay for a lot of things, especially the napkins. A lot of vendors are highly recommended.

It can be very overwhelming, but thankfully you have time. Just work on the big tickets items first to get those booked and then look down the checklist.
Old 02-13-2008, 01:06 PM
GreekChat Member

I think you can skip the Save the Date magnets. These are a pretty new thing and you know what happens to them when I get them?? Circular file (trash). Last thing I need is more magnets. Send me a Save the Date email. I'll put it in my planner. This whole Save the Date thing is really new and, to me, really annoying. It puts my Aunt Nina out of a job! She was the one who told everything "So and so is getting married on this day so don't plan Susie's graduation party that day!"
Old 02-13-2008, 07:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to WhiteDaisy128
Quote:
Originally Posted by VandalSquirrel View Post
I went to a bridal fair last weekend and there were all kinds of tables set up, the most horrifying was the Arbonne table. I also had some good laughs with a friend over books of invitations, particularly the Disney Cinderella and Precious Moments ones.
You know Disney makes wedding dresses now...right? You know you want one!

http://www.disneybridal.com/
Old 02-13-2008, 07:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteDaisy128 View Post

When I saw all the names I thought they were going to be totally costumey (especially "Disney Jasmine", I was picturing some sort of crop top genie outfit.) So in comparison the actual dresses were not so bad. haha But I still would never buy one or be able to keep a straight face if someone told me they bought a Disney wedding dress.
Old 02-13-2008, 07:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Honestly, the Disney bridal gowns themselves could be worse, given the source, but I was pretty horrified by some of the bridesmaid dresses. These in particular:

http://www.disneybridal.com/fall2008...es/kma2850.jpg

http://www.disneybridal.com/spring20...mages/kka1.jpg

http://www.disneybridal.com/fall2008...es/kmc2830.jpg

http://www.disneybridal.com/fall2008...es/kmb2835.jpg
Old 02-13-2008, 08:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
Wouldn't you want your wedding to be what you and your fiance want, as opposed to what you see someone else has and want to out-do?
Ha Ha! That would require people to have common sense and decency... sadly, not too common in the bridal world.

KSU- you are an absolute saint to put up with such madness!
Old 02-13-2008, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtterXO View Post
When I saw all the names I thought they were going to be totally costumey (especially "Disney Jasmine", I was picturing some sort of crop top genie outfit.) So in comparison the actual dresses were not so bad. haha But I still would never buy one or be able to keep a straight face if someone told me they bought a Disney wedding dress.

I was picturing that too. Honestly, Belle, Ariel, and Jasmine are pretty normal looking. I think the bridesmaids dresses are hideous though,

You could get something from an actual bridal designer for less money though, that doesn't have Disney on the label.

Lakers Nation.
Old 02-13-2008, 09:55 PM
GreekChat Member

ksu - some advice for your big...take it or leave it.

1.) she needs to stop worrying about what her little is doing and focus on herself. she can have a beautiful wedding without spending as much....sometimes you just have to decide what to spend more on and what to skimp on a little.

2.) New England's way of life is COMPLETELY different than Ohio's. No wonder your twin is getting married in a castle. Good luck to your big if her standards are that high. Tell her to consider a nice reception hall and if it is too much on a Saturday, have her check on a Friday night (unless for some reason the date is significant or already strictly set). We saved almost $2000 by having our wedding on a Friday night which allowed us to spend more money on a fabulous photographer!! Also....Friday nights usually come with the bar, food, etc. No extra fees per person for that stuff!

3.) Find someone who makes cakes on the side. Much cheaper but usually just as wonderful!

4.) She can also do her own invitations if she wants to watch her budget. There is a paper place in Brunswick called Hollo's PaperCraft. She can get the paper cut the size she needs it and it costs by the pound. We got all the paper for invitations, place cards, programs, response and reception cards, as well as envelopes for less than $80. Also....if she knows someone who is great with computers, she can enlist them to print them (someone with access to a laser printer to make them look nicer).

5.) Get flowers from a wholesaler instead of a shop. Once again much cheaper and just as nice. Again....enlist someone to help put together bouquets, table arrangements, etc.

It breaks my heart to hear that she wants to compete with her little. She needs to understand that it is her day and it is what SHE makes of it, not what others compare it to. I hope this advice helps and if she's getting married locally (Akron/Canton area), I could help possibly a little more from the research I did about a year ago.

Good luck to all of you!!!
Old 02-13-2008, 10:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Oh only one is trying to out-do the other! The other is completely oblivious. I think she night catch on when she realizes that our Big is also looking at booking a castle for her reception!

VandalSquirrel- I've NEVER seen that show!
That show is awesome, it is only half an hour but it is outrageous. Mud 'rassling in your wedding dress in a kiddie pool is always a great wedding event. Or the couple who brought hunting trophies to decorate the wedding site, or perhaps the couple who got married in a flea market might pique your interest? I DVRd it and VandalShyster and I watched it when we had snow days. I don't know who is programming on CMT, but between that show and "Gone Country" with Sisqo and Bobby Brown competing with Carnie Wilson and Marsha Brady for a country recording contract I am suddenly a HUGE fan of CMT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteDaisy128 View Post

If and when I get hitched I am going to tell my matron and maids that I am selecting dresses from that website just to freak them out.
Old 02-13-2008, 10:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: location, location... isn't that what it's all about?
Quote:
Originally Posted by VandalSquirrel View Post
If and when I get hitched I am going to tell my matron and maids that I am selecting dresses from that website just to freak them out.
L. O. L. If I weren't already hitched, I'd do the exact same thing.
Old 02-13-2008, 11:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to bluefish81
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDee View Post
I think you can skip the Save the Date magnets.
I kinda agree about not needing a magnet. I have limited real estate on my fridge anyway. One of my best friends/sorority sisters is getting married in late April. They just got engaged around Christmastime. No, she's not pregnant (everyone asks that). They sent "Save the Date" evites this past weekend.
Old 02-13-2008, 11:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hannahgirl View Post
Get flowers from a wholesaler instead of a shop. Once again much cheaper and just as nice.
co-sign this.

I had a big southern wedding, but looked at many ways to have a classy day without spending stupid money. I bought all the flowers- bouquets, centerpieces, and large arrangements for the church- at an upscale grocery store (Central Market for those of you in TX). The cost was literally only 40% of what I would have paid at a flower shop.

The store did all the arrangements for me. The only caveat was that they would not deliver, but two friends of mine offered to pick them up for me and one delivered the church flowers and the other delivered the reception flowers.

The flowers were gorgeous... and no one could tell the difference. I got compliments on my bouquet all day. I proudly told people where I had bought the flowers, and everyone was so impressed with not only the quality but my wisdom in saving so much money.
Old 02-14-2008, 12:04 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Thank you dear for the advice!

She is actually from the Chardon area and will probably be having her wedding somewhere up there, since the church is there. Chardon/Newbury is a very nice area, so she has TONS of options (even more when you include the other Cleveland and Lake Erie area suburbs), just no New England style castles. LOL.

We've had the "you can skimp on other items and splurge on others" discussion before, but the problem is, she doesn't want to "skimp" on anything, because she doesn't want her wedding to "look cheap."
Smart people know that just because something is inexpensive, doesn't mean it has to look bad.

She just has to learn to accept her budget for what it is and work it the best she can. Hell, it's not like it's less than 10 grand or something, it's almost $20,000! That's DOUBLE what some people have. But it's just not good enough. She wants like $40,000. Sad.

Isn't that near Cleveland's Museum of Art? Has she thought of having her wedding there? Can't get much classier, and the cost of the museums I checked out was in line with any other place. And, very different!

Okay, I think anyone who buys a Disney Wedding Dress must wear those Minnie Mouse Ears with a Veil with it!

We're having our Convention at Disney World next year, and I'm going soley to get Minnie Mouse ears with an azure blue bow.
Old 02-14-2008, 01:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefish81 View Post
I kinda agree about not needing a magnet. I have limited real estate on my fridge anyway. One of my best friends/sorority sisters is getting married in late April. They just got engaged around Christmastime. No, she's not pregnant (everyone asks that). They sent "Save the Date" evites this past weekend.
Or even a save the date sticker for people who still use paper calendars or planners. You can get them printed with whatever you want, the cost would be less, and they might not get tossed.