GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,243
3 members and 2,240 guests
aaidativanovoz6, Sen's Revenge

Old 04-16-2007, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NutBrnHair View Post
I think it's a sensitive subject for some who have been undergraduates (or recent grads) when their chapters were closed.
What the hell is your problem?

Quit post stalking me, and quit acting like I'm not allowed to offer an opinion because my chapter closed. Or maybe it's because I'm not from a good southern sorority.

Anyone who would say, in effect, that they don't care if their chapter closes and that if it does it's 100% because the actives screwed up, has a lot to learn. There are plenty of people on here whose chapters closed who could tell you differently.

I have no problem with saying you feel more attached nationally than locally - there are lots of people who didn't have a great collegiate experience and then reconnect as alums and as national volunteers. I have a HUGE problem with someone who says that the thing that brought her to that point - her local chapter - is as disposable as a Kleenex as far as she's concerned.
Old 04-16-2007, 09:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to NutBrnHair
Yikes!
Old 04-16-2007, 09:56 AM
GreekChat Member

My loyalties lie with my chapter and my sisters from my chapter. Most of my best friends were met in my sorority. In fact, I'm going on vacation with 5 other sisters in June.
Based on my personal experiences, I won't donate time or money to our HQ. I wholeheartedly believe in and live by the ideals of Phi Mu, but I do not agree with some of the decisions that have been made by TPTB in the recent past. I will gladly donate time and money to my chapter, however.
Oftentimes, chapters do not close "because it's their fault". There are many other reasons.
Old 04-16-2007, 10:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PM_Mama00 Send a message via Yahoo to PM_Mama00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phimuteach View Post
My loyalties lie with my chapter and my sisters from my chapter. Most of my best friends were met in my sorority. In fact, I'm going on vacation with 5 other sisters in June.
Based on my personal experiences, I won't donate time or money to our HQ. I wholeheartedly believe in and live by the ideals of Phi Mu, but I do not agree with some of the decisions that have been made by TPTB in the recent past. I will gladly donate time and money to my chapter, however.
Oftentimes, chapters do not close "because it's their fault". There are many other reasons.

What is TPTB? I'm curious what decisions you don't agree with. You can PM me if you want.

KLTC
Old 04-16-2007, 10:12 AM

The Powers That Be. aka, in your case, the Big Lionesses.
Old 04-16-2007, 10:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PM_Mama00 Send a message via Yahoo to PM_Mama00
Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
The Powers That Be. aka, in your case, the Big Lionesses.
Ahh I see. Lol that's what I thought, just wanted to be sure.

KLTC
Old 04-16-2007, 11:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWTXBelle View Post
I've come to think of other NPC members as my cousins - not as close as sisters, but still related and beloved.
I like how you said that! It's how I feel about it too...it took me past freshman year to get over rivalries and such but that's how I feel about the other organizations now...I have respect for them all.
Old 04-16-2007, 11:52 AM
GreekChat Member

I actually did pay a bit of attention to the differences between the national organizations of the chapters on my campus when I joined my chapter. My interest level in one chapter diminished when I discovered that the organization didn't have a strong base in my region of the country. I didn't think I would be able to receive as many benefits or be as involved as an alum b/c the group had very few chapters in the northeast.

As of right now I have a much stronger allegiance to my national organization than my chapter but that was not really the case until I became an alumnae volunteer. Being involved at the national level first through attending convention and then by volunteering helped me really understand the scope my organization.
Old 04-16-2007, 02:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senusret I View Post
Let me throw this into the mix....

Some NPHC members DEFINITELY care more about their chapters. It depends on the person and the chapter, but I think it relates less to recruitment and rush and more about their level of activity once they graduate and what sort of brotherly or sisterly relations they have with people outside their chapter.
Now that's the truth, unfortunately.
Reaffirmed: Glen Ellyn Area Alumnae
All in the MIGHTY MIDWEST REGION!
Old 04-16-2007, 03:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Senusret I & Ladygreek

I agree that is is likely (and has happened in NPHC) but I just thought it was a strange concept to seek an organization that has a national or international presence based on a chapter. Many people posting to this thread are saying (correct me if I am wrong) they chose the chapter and grew to love the entire org versus embracing the organization and joining the chapter.
Old 04-16-2007, 03:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSTRen13 View Post
I think this is true, BUT I don't think that you see members joining an org because of the chapter very often. It isn't common that someone will arrive on campus and make their decision based on whether they like the local chapter of Delta or AKA best. Now, you will have some members who, AFTER that point, will be very dedicated to their chapter, moreso than the national org, but it's not the same as choosing your org based on the local chapter. I just don't see that happening very often, in my (admittedly limited) experience.
I don't know, but I have heard NPHCers say I joined XYZ because I didn't like the chapter of ABC. And I have heard of NPHCers waiting until alumnae, because they didn't like the XYZ chapter. At least with the latter they maintained their interest in the org as a whole, but I suspect the opposite could be true to.
Reaffirmed: Glen Ellyn Area Alumnae
All in the MIGHTY MIDWEST REGION!
Old 04-16-2007, 03:25 PM
GreekChat Member

One big difference is that NPHC orgs are "branded" on a national level, so for many, this reputation, whether it be from home, family, friends, casual acquaintances, school, a step show or some aspect of Greek life, people do identify with a specific group. For historically white NIC groups and NPC groups, I don't think this holds true as much. It's more about the chapter where one goes to college.

In my Fraternity, fraternal identification also extends to the district where one became a member. Districts have reputations and political power is brokered along these lines, where alliances are made for international political office.

GreekChat.com - The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network
Old 04-16-2007, 03:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman View Post
One big difference is that NPHC orgs are "branded" on a national level, so for many, this reputation, whether it be from home, family, friends, casual acquaintances, school, a step show or some aspect of Greek life, people do identify with a specific group. For historically white NIC groups and NPC groups, I don't think this holds true as much. It's more about the chapter where one goes to college.

In my Fraternity, fraternal identification also extends to the district where one became a member. Districts have reputations and political power is brokered along these lines, where alliances are made for international political office.

Actually, I would venture that there is a simliar sort of "branding" that goes on in the NPC and NIC as well. I think it may have more importance in different regions of the country.
Ex. -in the south a few sororities may be known for certain aspects/qualities/characterisitcs, where as in the midwest they may not be as important.
Kappa Alpha Theta "The Fraternity was always second in my mind to coeducation. It was organized to help the girls win out in their fight to stay in college on a man's campus. We had to make a place for women in a man's world, and the Fraternity was one means to that bigger end." -Bettie Locke Hamilton
Old 04-16-2007, 03:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
... maybe it's because I'm not from a good southern sorority.
That was an ugly thing to say about your sorority.
There's this new drug that might help with your symptoms: Midol
Old 04-16-2007, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Puppet2 View Post
That was an ugly thing to say about your sorority.
Actually, no, it wasn't.