GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,289
1 members and 1,288 guests
Cookiez17

Old 08-22-2018, 03:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Rush at Colorado State? Looking for input

A friend's daughter is going through rush at Colorado State - does anyone know how competitive it is? Are recs are a must-have? (I told her to get them even if people say they aren't needed). What's the general Greek environment like? Is it a school where connections are really needed? She's from out of state with no connections - absolutely darling girl, very talented and poised, from a stellar family - sounds like almost every PNM going through rush these days, I know...

Any info would be helpful as well since my experience is limited to SEC and Pac-12, etc. schools that have very competitive systems.

Thank you!
Old 08-22-2018, 04:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Familiar with CSU and it's as competitive as any other system of its size. As we say, if you're a pnm, it's competitive no matter where you go! Recs won't hurt and are always a plus. If you're talking about connections in the Ole Miss/Texas/Bama sense, that's not a major concern.

Phi Mu is colonizing at CSU this fall, in addition to colonizing at Boulder. The colony is another option for your PNM.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 08-22-2018, 04:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZTheta View Post
Familiar with CSU and it's as competitive as any other system of its size. As we say, if you're a pnm, it's competitive no matter where you go! Recs won't hurt and are always a plus. If you're talking about connections in the Ole Miss/Texas/Bama sense, that's not a major concern.

Phi Mu is colonizing at CSU this fall, in addition to colonizing at Boulder. The colony is another option for your PNM.
Thank you AZTheta - appreciate this info, including about Phi Mu colonizing. On a separate note, I tried to send you a message a few weeks ago, but it bounced back - let me know when I can do so!
Old 08-24-2018, 10:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCMS View Post
Thank you AZTheta - appreciate this info, including about Phi Mu colonizing. On a separate note, I tried to send you a message a few weeks ago, but it bounced back - let me know when I can do so!
I responded to you in two threads, vis-a-vis my PM box being full, and getting two email notifications from GC that you'd tried to PM me. Still waiting for you to respond to my thread questions re: your GLO and your involvement.

About the former: figured out through process of elimination and your posts (e.g."I'm not a ..." along with other posts you made)* that you are a Phi Mu, so now I feel stupid about sharing that there is a Phi Mu colony coming to Colorado State this fall. Oh well! Now, am really curious about how you rushed and preffed the Theta colony at Ole Miss in 1978 during formal recruitment, since the chapter was installed in 1979. Did Theta actually participate in formal recruitment Fall 1978? How did that work? Would love to hear the story of that! There's not much information shared about how colonies worked back in the day. Others would be interested as well. AND we have a Theta member here who actually pledged the Theta chapter in 1979 so you might even know each other. It would also be cool to hear about your experiences as a consultant. You did airline travel in the days when it was actually FUN!

Of course, I may be wrong about your affiliation. Please correct me if I am mistaken. If I ever empty out my PM box, I'll let you know. In the meantime, posting this here works for me. I'm direct, and transparent.

*your flower is a carnation (you described a beautiful pref ceremony), but you've stated you're not a Chi O or Pi Phi, and there's not an AXO chapter at Ole Miss. Ditto for GPhi. So that leaves Phi Mu! How did I do?
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 08-24-2018, 10:50 AM
GreekChat Member

AZTheta, close, but not it. From a long line of Ole Miss Greeks - immediate family and friends were members and now friends' daughters have rushed over the past 10 years (including out-of-state friends' daughters so have seen the OOS challenges), hence my knowledge of how things work. Five different sororities and one fraternity from OM in my family.

I was the family outlier - wanted out of the South and a career out West so I headed to the Univ of Arizona where I joined Gamma Phi Beta. Theta was my other pref but Gamma Phi captured my heart after the pref party. Great thing about rushing at a school outside my region was that I had no idea what "tiers" were what; I was able to rush purely on what I liked. After I joined Gamma Phi I went through the whole "Gamma what?" thing since family/friends hadn't heard of it. We have expanded into the South since then, so have more presence now. Not sure I would want a chapter at Ole Miss because it's one tough environment to colonize in. Thankfully variable quota is helping to even out the numbers and especially help the newer houses.

Now I need to figure out how to add a signature so I can include something pretty in pink...

Last edited by NYCMS; 08-24-2018 at 09:32 PM. Reason: because brevity is really good
Old 08-24-2018, 11:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCMS View Post
AZTheta, close, but still not it. I'm from a long line of Ole Miss Greeks - all my immediate family and some friends were members from the 1960's through the 90's and now I have friends' daughters rushing there in the past 2 to 10 years (also have out-of-state friends' daughters rushing so have seen the whole "no connections" and OOS challenges), hence my knowledge of how things work. Lived and breathed the school starting with football games at the age of 5, tons of time spent on campus, especially once my brother and cousins were there - that was my up-close-and-personal peek at Greek life. Five different sororities in my family and one fraternity from Ole Miss.

I was the outlier in my family - I wanted out of the South. Dreamed of moving out West for a career so I headed to the Univ of Arizona where I joined Gamma Phi Beta; Theta was my other pref house! Gamma Phi captured my heart after the pref party I described. Terrific girls in Theta too. The great thing about rushing at a school outside my region was that I had no idea which houses were "good" or what "tiers" were what, plus there was no Theta chapter in Miss. at the time and no Gamma Phi (still none) so I had not even heard of them. I was able to rush purely on what I liked. It was kinda funny after I joined Gamma Phi because none of my friends/family had heard of it so I went through the whole "Gamma what?" thing, LOL. We have expanded in the South since the 80's so we have more presence. Not sure I would want a chapter at Ole Miss because it is one tough environment to colonize in. Thankfully variable quota is helping to even out the numbers and especially help the newer houses.

Now I need to figure out how to add a signature so I can include something pretty in pink...
OH YOU STINKER!!! That's what happens when I ASSUMED you are an Ole Miss alumna. MY BAD. I'll take the beating I earned.

Now, I am so excited to have another ZONIE here. You should see what they've done to the Arizona GPhi house this year (the Theta house ain't too shabby either and then of course Kappa with their almost block-long home and the chapter room to die for...swoon). The AZ chapters really do a great job of updating and decorating IMO. You guys (GPhi)have the best parking lot of all of us, but you already knew that, huh?

Here's the kicker - I know women who pledged when you did. Ha! AAMOF one of them has a Theta mother and a Theta daughter (both at Arizona) but she went GPhi at Arizona. Theta just celebrated its centennial at Arizona (so did Pi Phi). I wrote a rec for a pnm who went through in 1978 and pledged Theta.

Now please tell about your consultant experiences if you are ever so inclined.
Old 08-24-2018, 12:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
OH YOU STINKER!!! That's what happens when I ASSUMED you are an Ole Miss alumna. MY BAD. I'll take the beating I earned.

Now, I am so excited to have another ZONIE here. You should see what they've done to the Arizona GPhi house this year (the Theta house ain't too shabby either and then of course Kappa with their almost block-long home and the chapter room to die for...swoon). The AZ chapters really do a great job of updating and decorating IMO. You guys (GPhi)have the best parking lot of all of us, but you already knew that, huh?

Here's the kicker - I know women who pledged when you did. Ha! AAMOF one of them has a Theta mother and a Theta daughter (both at Arizona) but she went GPhi at Arizona. Theta just celebrated its centennial at Arizona (so did Pi Phi). I wrote a rec for a pnm who went through in 1978 and pledged Theta.

Now please tell about your consultant experiences if you are ever so inclined.
I'm sure you're not the only one. I have a deep love for the school because of my family and especially going to football games and the campus for many years because it was truly a family bond.

I haven't seen the chapter house except from the outside - fairly different from my days with the window "tents", the Gamma Phi sign with the crescent moon and the dark pink tones (it was a tan paint job with dark blue trim and big GPB letters when I was there) - I understand the girls call it the "Pink Palace". Yes, the parking lot is amazing! I did see pics of the Kappa extension - wow indeed.

When I rushed, many of us who pledged Gamma Phi did a Gamma Phi/Theta pref combo. I was a rush counselor my senior year and there were three rushees that went Theta instead of Gamma Phi. I was happy for them, but sad for our loss...they were adorable. And no door songs then! We had the most fun songs that we raced onto the yard to perform, everyone did. And how fun that you know members from my era! So many great women in our chapter.

As for being a consultant, I felt like a proud mom when each girl was initiated and having our international officers there. Gives me chill bumps when I think back.

Last edited by NYCMS; 08-24-2018 at 09:29 PM.
Old 08-24-2018, 01:51 PM
GreekChat Member

If you pm AZ-Alpha Xi she'll pm you my email address. because at the rate I'm going the PM box here is never going to be emptied.

You do know I'm not an Arizona Theta, right? I just live here!
Old 08-24-2018, 01:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
If you pm AZ-Alpha Xi she'll pm you my email address. because at the rate I'm going the PM box here is never going to be emptied.

You do know I'm not an Arizona Theta, right? I just live here!
Will do. And yes, I knew you weren't from that chapter - I think you mentioned that somewhere else - where was your chapter? So fun that you're familiar with everything at UA and sorority life!