GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,383
1 members and 1,382 guests
Cookiez17

Old 04-27-2017, 09:20 AM
GreekChat Member

How to bring more sororities to our campus?

Not saying which school, but I'm very interested in expanding Greek life at my school.
I've actually emailed some sororities and fraternities who are also interested in coming to my campus. How can we do this? I've emailed the Dean of Students but I'm unclear as to what really needs to be done. We're interested in bringing DZ, Kappa Alpha Theta, Phi Mu, Alpha Phi, Gamma Phi Beta, Sigma Kappa, and Pi Beta Phi. We've emailed others who are also interested along with fraternities as well.
Old 04-27-2017, 09:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Try this link first.

Google is your friend. And you ("we?" because you used both "I" and "we" in your post) may have an interest, BUT first things first: your campus has to be open for extension.

It's a complicated process, governed by rules and regulations. You're way ahead of the process in cherry-picking certain groups. That's not how this works.
Old 04-27-2017, 01:30 PM
GreekChat Member

sorry. i'm still learning!! we weren't cherry picking. we emailed a vast amount of sororities and these were the ones that replied positively. Others, surprisingly did not seem interested. How do we know if we are open for extension?
Old 04-27-2017, 01:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Did you read the link I provided?

Are you currently Greek (specifically NPC)? I asked you that once before, in another thread, but you didn't respond.

And you don't need to start a second thread on the same topic. People get annoyed when that happens.
Old 04-27-2017, 03:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lulubre View Post
sorry. i'm still learning!! we weren't cherry picking. we emailed a vast amount of sororities and these were the ones that replied positively. Others, surprisingly did not seem interested. How do we know if we are open for extension?
Quote:
Not saying which school, but I'm very interested in expanding Greek life at my school.
I've actually emailed some sororities and fraternities who are also interested in coming to my campus. How can we do this? I've emailed the Dean of Students but I'm unclear as to what really needs to be done. We're interested in bringing DZ, Kappa Alpha Theta, Phi Mu, Alpha Phi, Gamma Phi Beta, Sigma Kappa, and Pi Beta Phi. We've emailed others who are also interested along with fraternities as well.
QFP
Old 04-27-2017, 04:41 PM
GreekChat Member

there was no link. I am new to this website and am not sure which threads are most popular. I am just looking for many different perspectives and thoughts on the matter. Please be kind. I'm still navigating all of this, and people on this site seem incredibly harsh.
Old 04-27-2017, 05:50 PM

Click on where it says "try this link first." That will take you to a webpage explaining how expansion works.
Old 04-27-2017, 05:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
there was no link. I am new to this website and am not sure which threads are most popular. I am just looking for many different perspectives and thoughts on the matter. Please be kind. I'm still navigating all of this, and people on this site seem incredibly harsh.
Step by step from the NPC Manual of Information:

https://www.npcwomen.org/resources/p...0Extension.pdf

As you can see,your campus has to "open" for expansion. This is done thru the Greek Life Office. NPC organizations will not deviate from this procedure. Please meet with your F/S Adviser.
Old 04-27-2017, 06:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
How many Greek letter organizations are currently at your school and would you happen to know if there are any groups who were formerly at your university and are now inactive?
Old 04-27-2017, 06:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

Have you seen that GEICO commercial with the lady who posts pictures on her living room wall, and her friend says, "That not how this works. That's not how any of this works."

I don't think people have been harsh. I think people are "curious" because your topics and questions are raising some yellow flags -- they're unusual for someone who is a member of a sorority -- "perping" membership after transferring schools and whether we know of people who've been caught, and self-initiated extension efforts by writing to sororities and fraternities.

Last edited by Sciencewoman; 04-27-2017 at 06:53 PM.
Old 04-27-2017, 08:18 PM
GreekChat Member

The odd thing for me is that we get these questions about NPC sororities, when the idea would have been more or less correct for the NIC, NPHC, PFA or any of the other Greek Umbrella groups...
Old 04-28-2017, 06:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Suspicious, yes; curious, yes. Not harsh.

Here's harsh: WHY YOU NO ANSWER MY QUESTION? I'll stop asking because the answer is apparent, despite your refusal to answer. Sorry if the blue underlined link was too obscure. Thought it was pretty much universal knowledge in the interworlds. Again, not harsh.

You may have received courteous responses from several sorority and fraternity headquarters in response to your queries. I would expect no less from any of the NPC member organizations. Bear in mind that each headquarters is run and staffed differently. Some are huge, others not so much. There may not be the manpower to answer an email inquiring about extension. You don't know. Neither do I.

As Titchou and I suggested, go to the NPC site and read up on how extension/expansion works. And talk to the F/S Advisor. That's where you start. Not knowing what school you attend, we have no idea if it is even feasible to consider extension! You may want more chapters, or desire other chapters, but the need or demand may not even be there. The campus climate may not be supportive. There are other threads on GC about "bringing a chapter to campus"; try searching for those.
Old 04-28-2017, 07:20 AM
GreekChat Member

It is my understanding at my School, P S U, Ks. that a lot depends on the membership of the current Sororities. There has to be a certain % of what the alloted numbers before there is even a thought of adding any new group. Last I knew, each Sorority had minimum of 75. Currently there is three Sororities with six Fraternities.

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 04-28-2017, 10:38 AM

Red face

Also, let me throw this in: you can bring in new organizations, but the people in them will still be the same people at your school. Unless it's a group dedicated to a specific population (a historically Jewish group, a group focused on a particular field of study) you'll be pulling from the same potential member pool. If everyone at your school is poor, then the members of the new ABC chapter will be poor too, even If the ABC chapter at your friends school is full of millionaires.
Old 04-28-2017, 11:34 AM
GreekChat Member

My question would be WHY does Greek Life need to be expanded at your school? Are the current chapters too large? Or did you go through recruitment and not get a bid, so to meet your needs you think there needs to be an additional chapter? I'm not trying to be "harsh" but the reality is that there are set procedures (that have been outlined above) that can guide you through the NPC expansion process. If you are in the latter scenario and want expansion because you didn't get a bid, I'm sorry. You are welcome to try again. Greek life isn't for everyone, and it doesn't make you less of a person to not get a bid. You can try again, but there are no guarantees. I'd love to know the reasoning behind the desired expansion.

Warning: The above post may be dripping in sarcasm and full of smartassedness.