GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Dating & Relationships

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,122
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, haledarkz870
» Online Users: 1,401
2 members and 1,399 guests
LaneSig, TLLK

Old 07-12-2002, 01:14 PM
GreekChat Member

In Vancouver we have a huge gay community I have a few friends who are homosexual. Talking to them, most of them didn't come out until their late teens or early 20's, but it was something that was there for most of their life. I believe it is a bit of both, however I mostly believe that you are born with heterosexual or homosexual tendancies, but I also believe that it depends on your surrounding environment. For instance in if you lived in Canada you would feel more comfortable about being open about your homosexuality. In Canada gays are protected by the Charter of Rights of Freedom and are not allowed to be discriminated against (of course there are still people out there are closed minded towards same sex couples). And a big thing happened today in Ontario: the provinicial government ruled in favour of same sex marriages, which they are saying will most likely set a precedent across the country.
Old 07-12-2002, 02:48 PM
Super Moderator

I believe it's

...by BIRTH
Old 07-12-2002, 03:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by librasoul22
I think it is purely a choice. I DO agree with everyone who said that personalities are formed due to nature and nuture. However, I don't think that homsexuality is a personality trait.
So then the question can be asked....

When did you choose to be straight?

Is then heterosexuality a personality trait?
Old 07-13-2002, 12:44 AM
GreekChat Member

stunt cock!

Quote:
Originally posted by AOX81

Joey Lauren Adams played the lesbian in Chasing Amy.

my bad, true that.
Old 07-13-2002, 03:50 AM
GreekChat Member

I happen to be straight, but have a good amount of homosexual friends and have learned about many studies on sexuality in general. Based on what I've experienced and learned, it's definitely genetic trait. In some species, the appearance of homosexual animals will be affected by population. For example, it was found in hamsters that when overpopulation occured(i.e. more hamsters than the amount of available food/space, etc), the number of homosexual animals within that community of hamsters increased. There are species of monkeys in which the females have evolved over time to have sex with eachother as well as with males. This allows them to form better social relationships with eachother and dominate the males. And there are other examples, but I won't write a book right now. My point is that homosexuality is a natural occurance in life, and as with all of the other individual human traits and tendencies, serves a purpose within the human race. There's a reason that we evovled this way and it has nothing to do with sin. (BTW, remember that although the bible was inspired by God, it was written by human beings, who are fallible, and for many years before the first copy, it was recorded orally, not to mention the many revisions it has gone through from different languages and versions...even if you could find the "true" bible, it is very unlikely to be the literal word of God, which is why I don't buy the whole immoral argument of homosexuality...but I digress) So that answers the question of the thread, but I agree with everyone who says, who cares? A person is a person is a person. The end.
Old 07-13-2002, 04:08 AM
GreekChat Member

O.K., so then I have another question along those lines- Does having a same-sex encounter make a person homosexual? I mean, say a guy is locked up in prison, and he's heterosexual, but things happen-either by force or by choice; does that make him gay? Not to sound silly, but seriously, I always thought that if a guy did "certain" things, then of course he's gay, but is it really so black or white?

It just reminds me of that Seinfeld episode with Jerry and George ("I'm not gay! Not that there's anything wrong with that")...
Old 07-13-2002, 08:20 AM
Super Moderator

Being "gay" is tag that someone properly could only give to his or herself. Because they performed certain acts -- unless they decide for themselves that "gay" is what they've become than they're not

That is unless you think they are.

I don't think there's any hard and fast definition of what is and isn't gay. I may be wrong and there might be a list of requirments somewhere, maybe a blood test
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 07-13-2002, 10:06 AM
GreekChat Member

cloud9 wrote-There are species of monkeys in which the females have evolved over time to have sex with eachother as well as with males. This allows them to form better social relationships with eachother and dominate the males.

I had no idea about this! This would seem to indicate that monkeys, like humans, engage in sex for pleasure. I always felt for animals it was just nature's means of keeping the species alive. Hamsters on top of it. Now I have all kinds of things I'm wondering about........ Guess the line between animals and humans gets thinner every day
Old 07-13-2002, 11:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Skype™ to SilverTurtle
I think this in an interesting topic, although agree that the important thing is that people are accepted for who they are.

I don't know if sexuality is nurture or nature or both. I do know that I'm heterosexual, and I don't ever remember coming to that decision. It's just what I am. So I can believe it when homosexual people say the same.

One of my friends who happens to be gay also has an openly gay brother (there are 3 boys & 2 girls in the family). One of the sisters he thinks may be gay, but not out yet. His mother & father were divorced when he was younger. But for several years his mother has been living with a female friend, and all of the kids are positive that they are lesbians. So that's a good argument for nature. But this particular friend believes being gay is a choice. How he came to that choice I never asked, because it doesn't really matter, IMO.

On the other hand, I have a friend who came out his freshman year of college & is adament that it is something you're born with. He had a mad crush on a girl only months before his big announcement, so I don't know if that was a cover or what.?

Then there's my friend who, while he fits the "gay stereotype" well, was straight all through high school & into college. Then he "realized he was gay" and got involved with a guy for a couple months. But he's from a super-religious background, and while home one weekend spoke to his religious leaders about it. (He was having major internal conflict about it). These folks "delivered him from homosexuality" & he's been straight ever since. (Which I personally think is kind of weird & scary, but I'll support him gay or straight). I interpreted his few months being gay as his simply experimenting with his identity, and ultimately deciding/realizing that regardless of what other people may think, he is straight.

I could go on, but my point is that even my personal experiences have shown me that it can be either choice or nature... it does depend on the person. I think the studies with animals are good indicators that it can and does occur naturally.

I come from a rather religious backgroud. My parents are rather horrified by the idea of gay people, and generally avoid them in work or other situations. (Now, they would NEVER be mean, rude, etc. to them, they just like to pretend they don't exist. ). So, they have no idea that my gay friends are gay. They're just my friends, as they should be.

Incidentally, about a week or two ago was the annual Pride Parade here in Columbus. I happen to work downtown, and got to see the festivities. There were people, gay/lesbian/bi/straight out supporting the gay community. Everyone was having a good time. What horrified me, however, were the "chrisitan" people protesting. They weren't just out there handing out flyers and inviting people to church. Oh, no. They had giant hate banners... the more memorable reading "Got Aids?" & the like. A few of them had megaphones and were screaming awful hate messages at the crowd, calling people derogatory names, saying that AIDS was God's cure for gays, etc. Most of the crowd ignored them completely, a few made fun of them. No one seemed to take anything seriously. But it was just awful to see that kind of obvious hate & misunderstanding coming from people who claim to be Christians, meaning "like Christ". 'Cause I always took Christ's important messages as "love thy neighbor", etc.

For those of you who do believe that it is a sin, I can respect that as your opinion. I won't try to change it. My opinion is that each individual person knows themself better than anyone else can. What they do is between themselves & God.
Old 07-13-2002, 11:42 AM
GreekChat Member

MAybe we (human race) are like the hamsters because our population is sooo huge and growing.........
Old 07-13-2002, 11:42 AM

I would be surprized if we arrive at any consensus about this, but every scientific study I've heard of over the last several years conclude that there is no choice involved. People are gay from birth.

As for the religious aspects, our church, a large established member of the Presbyterian Church, USA, in which I am an ordained Elder is very accepting of gay members. Although the congregation is somewhat older and fairly conservative, the Director of Music and Worship is openly gay. He is deeply religions and does a wonderful job.

The other end of that spectrum is the fundamentalist church I attended as a youth in which I "learned" that drinking, dancing, playing cards, wearing shorts and going to movies on Sunday were all sins. And, of course, sex before marriage was a one way ticket to hell.

Finally, my experience with gays in the workplace is that most of them are simply nice folks and good workers.
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.
Old 07-13-2002, 03:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Look over your shoulder, I could be right behind ya!
Nature

I find the whole topic fascinating. I love haging out with gay men, have been friends with them most of my adult life. And from the stories I've heard, things I've witnessed, I can say that it's nature. There is a point where it can be nurtured to being more, "flamboyant", can we say. One of my good friends, cute, cute guy: deep voice, very masculine. I had no clue he was gay, because he didn't follow that stereotype some of us think gay men do. I have another gay male friend, he's a darg queen on the weekends at his PT job! NO RHYME OR REASON, just like every other person in the world! My other great friend, she is gorgeous (NOT THAT LESBIANS AND GAYS AREN'T GOOD-LOOKING, I AM JUST STATING THAT FOR EMPHASIS!!), Halle Berry lookalike: she was married to a woman for 6 years, married to a man for 5, engaged to another guy, now lives with a woman...Why? No clue, but the fact is that this was all her choice, so are choices nature or nurture??
Old 07-13-2002, 05:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Who you calling "boy"? The name's Hand Banana . . .
Quote:
Originally posted by phikappapsiman
[B]O.K., so then I have another question along those lines- Does having a same-sex encounter make a person homosexual? I mean, say a guy is locked up in prison, and he's heterosexual, but things happen-either by force or by choice; does that make him gay? Not to sound silly, but seriously, I always thought that if a guy did "certain" things, then of course he's gay, but is it really so black or white? [B]
In my opinion, NO - Homosexuality would be more like having a sexual preference for the same sex over the opposite, not having a sexual encounter with someone in the same sex. That would be a homosexual act - but wouldn't necessarily make the dude a homosexual. Does that make sense? The point is drawing the line between hooking up with guys, and only being attracted to guys (or primarily).
Old 07-13-2002, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by justamom
cloud9 wrote-There are species of monkeys in which the females have evolved over time to have sex with eachother as well as with males. This allows them to form better social relationships with eachother and dominate the males.

I had no idea about this! This would seem to indicate that monkeys, like humans, engage in sex for pleasure. I always felt for animals it was just nature's means of keeping the species alive. Hamsters on top of it. Now I have all kinds of things I'm wondering about........ Guess the line between animals and humans gets thinner every day
I never paid much attention in my 10th grade biology class but one day our teacher started talking about procreation and I was all ears. She was saying that humans and one other animal species (I think it was pigs) are the only mammals that have sex for pleasure. I dunno if this is true or not. Any bio majors?
Old 07-14-2002, 03:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Who you calling "boy"? The name's Hand Banana . . .
Quote:
Originally posted by ZTAngel

I never paid much attention in my 10th grade biology class but one day our teacher started talking about procreation and I was all ears. She was saying that humans and one other animal species (I think it was pigs) are the only mammals that have sex for pleasure. I dunno if this is true or not. Any bio majors?
I think it's dolphins, but I'm about 5 beers too far into it to go look up a cite. Anyone know for sure?