GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,445
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Avalanchejqr
» Online Users: 1,593
0 members and 1,593 guests
No Members online

Old 07-17-2003, 01:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to uwwsweetie
Chapter Sweethearts?

I am not sure if this is the right Forum for this but if it isnt let me know and I will move it.

I am continuelly reading about chapter sweethearts - and since I wasn't ever active in my chapter (I was just initiated in Spring '03 and am not returning to school this fall) I have NO clue what a Chapter Sweetheart is... So I was wondering if someone could explain?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-17-2003, 01:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via AIM to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via Yahoo to AchtungBaby80
A chapter sweetheart is just...well, your chapter's sweetheart. We had one; he was called our "Lad of the Lamp."
Old 07-17-2003, 01:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to uwwsweetie
how does a chapter decide who their chapter sweetheart is?
Old 07-17-2003, 01:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by uwwsweetie
how does a chapter decide who their chapter sweetheart is?
It varies a lot by chapter...and some don't have them at all. If you do a search for sweethearts, you should find some info.

Examples of several different "sweetheart" arrangements, all on my campus:
  • TKE voted on theirs as a chapter
  • FarmHouse brought them in like new members, they pledged and were initiated
  • SigEp said a sweetheart was anyone a brother pinned

Most of the sororities also had a "Sweetheart" of some type or anyother.
Old 07-17-2003, 02:21 PM
Super Moderator

We had a sweetheart when I was active, our Black Diamond Beau, but Alpha Delta Pi discourages the practice now.

Our nickname for him was BDB.
Old 07-17-2003, 02:25 PM
GreekChat Member

I asked some girls how does someone become a sweetheart. I assumed it was if you dated a guy in the fraternity for a long time or something. Anyways, they said it takes a lot of hardwork and time. I didn't really understand. I mean do they make the boys cookies or something??
Old 07-17-2003, 02:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to GMUBunny Send a message via Yahoo to GMUBunny
We have a Crown Prince and his pic goes in the middle of the composite.

Proud mommy of Tiernan Vincent 8-8-05 and Gwendolyn Iona 12-13-07!
Old 07-17-2003, 02:47 PM
GreekChat Member

I have actually heard some Fraternity alumni groups have sweethearts. I wonder what that entails.
Old 07-17-2003, 02:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to rocketaxid
chapter sweethearts

We have a chapter sweetheart that everyone votes on and it's announced at the pink rose gala (aka formal) along with the rest of the chapter awards.

Most all of the fraturnities on our campus have sweethearts. Each chapter has a different name for it, like the Pikes have a dream girl. To become a sweetheart you are someone who is highly respected by the members of the chapter. Your a friend to all of them. Your not someone who they take turns making out with. Sweethearts aren't always girlfriends, the can also be sisters of chapter members on campus.

I was Kappa Delta Rho sweetheart along with one of my close friends one month (at our school they do sweethearts monthly and then the big one at formal). To earn this honor I was campaign manager for their chapter president and I got him elected as student body president. Winning the election gives their chapter distinction, obviously something they wanted. It's cool though, they put an ad in the greek section of the classifieds.

Does this help??
Old 07-17-2003, 03:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GeekyPenguin
It varies a lot by chapter...and some don't have them at all. If you do a search for sweethearts, you should find some info.

Examples of several different "sweetheart" arrangements, all on my campus:
  • TKE voted on theirs as a chapter
  • FarmHouse brought them in like new members, they pledged and were initiated
  • SigEp said a sweetheart was anyone a brother pinned

Most of the sororities also had a "Sweetheart" of some type or anyother.
In addition to that, at my old university (Minnesota), the fraternities and sororities had sweetheart competitions! They were usually about a week long. Each fraternity would nominate one member for a sorority sweetheart competition and spend his week trying to impress them -- baking cookies, putting on a skit with his brothers talking about how cool the sorority was, making posters to hang up in the house about how much he liked them. At the end of the week, the sisters voted on their favorites. It sounded like a good way to make friends in other chapters, although I had a friend who was nominated for like, three sweetheart competitions by his chapter and he says they're exhausting and tons of work.

I don't think most schools do that, though.

Here our sweetheart is called the Delta Dream Guy, and everybody in the chapter votes on who it will be -- usually it's one of the senior girl's boyfriends who everybody likes. We crown him at formal.
Old 07-17-2003, 03:58 PM
GreekChat Member

In our chapter, our sweetheart (aka Moonlight Girl) was either the serious girlfriend of a brother (I can think of at least 3 who are married to brothers now), or a sorority member who had not
ahem "been" with the brothers, but still were a major supporter/friend to the chapter. We always announced our sweetheart at formal.

Two years in a row I was nominated for Alpha Sigma Alpha Phoenix Man. It was a major thing. They had teas for all of the candidates, I baked cookies, sent flowers, etc. Both years I lost by one stinkin' vote. Oh well.

At Ball State, it was traditional for chapters to nominate their sweethearts for all of the "royalty" competitions (Homecoming, Greek Week, Bike-a-Thon" etc.
Old 07-17-2003, 04:04 PM
Ginger

One of my closest friends and sorority sisters is a Phi Mu Alpha sweetheart at UW-W. She was selected her senior year of school, and they had a beautiful ceremony for her (I didn't see of course, but I heard!). She is the only female allowed to wear chapter letters (on the Whitewater campus at least).

I know the Pikes have a Dream Girl (I was hoping for a nomination while in school but it never came ) and the Lambda Chi's have some sort of sweetheart, but I'm not sure what she's named. I don't think any of the other Whitewater fraternities have sweethearts (or at least they aren't widely publicized like the Dream Girl and PMA Sweethearts are. Then again, most of my chapter dated either Pikes or Lambda Chi's, so those were really the only ones we cared about j/k
Old 07-17-2003, 04:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to astroAPhi
Re: chapter sweethearts

Quote:
Originally posted by rocketaxid
To become a sweetheart you are someone who is highly respected by the members of the chapter. Your a friend to all of them. Your not someone who they take turns making out with. Sweethearts aren't always girlfriends, the can also be sisters of chapter members on campus.
Indeed. We've had so many girls at my school throwing themselves at a particular fraternity trying to be their big Sweetheart. So many of these girls think the best way to do this is sleep with all of them.

I became the TKE Sweetheart by just being friends with a lot of the guys. Over the past 2 years I've gotten to know several of them and spent a lot of time with them. I have a great deal of respect for them as a fellow Greek (this isn't to say an unaffiliated woman cannot be named a sweetheart). But I wouldn't say it took a lot of "time". I've been dating one of their brothers for the past 2 1/2 years, and I was their Homecoming Queen freshman year, but other than that, it was just a matter of hanging out with my friends. I don't think I did anything special. I did anything a good friend (or girlfriend) would do. The other girl who was Sweetheart this year with me (we tied lol) is the exact same way.

For the first time this year, we had a Bordeaux Beau. We picked a brother of Pi Kappa Alpha who had been our Homecoming King last year, our entry into Big Man on Campus, and he was instrumental in fixing up our new house. At the end of the year we just voted and he won (probably by a landslide).

TKE Omicron Nu Chapter Sweetheart 2003
Old 07-17-2003, 04:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to SparkliiQTMTSU Send a message via Yahoo to SparkliiQTMTSU
Too bad we dont really have sweethearts on our campus..well some of the fraternities do, but i dont think the sororites do. I know that Sigma Chi has a sweetheart and the pikes here have quite a few dream girls and im pretty sure the TKE's here have a sweetheart too.
Old 07-17-2003, 04:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Well, I'm a TKE Sweetheart of the Rho Pi chapter, but not "THE" Chapter Sweetheart. I was pinned by one of their members, basically it's a fraternity engagement.

Chapter Sweethearts are normally voted upon by the members, but some chapters (that I know of from TKE) do not participate in the Sweetheart program anymore.