GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 1,922
0 members and 1,922 guests
No Members online

Old 07-20-2011, 04:11 PM
GreekChat Member

U of South Carolina Rush Help!

Hey everybody, I'm new to greekchat and excited to be here!

I have a couple of issues I'm a little nervous about....
I'm rushing at USC Columbia this fall. I'll be an out of state transfer. I'm the first person in my family to go to college, and I want to go greek!
I've read this site up and down, gotten 2-3 recommendations for each sorority...
But I haven't found a lot of information about USC rush in particular on this site.
Does anyone have any advice to give me? I know SEC recruitment is daunting but I figure SC is one of the smaller schools in the conference, so the advice for rush there may differ from the advice given for say, Alabama or Ole Miss.

Thank you all so much for your great posts on this forum! They've really given me an idea of what to expect and how things work
Old 07-20-2011, 04:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnLady View Post
Hey everybody, I'm new to greekchat and excited to be here!

I have a couple of issues I'm a little nervous about....
I'm rushing at USC Columbia this fall. I'll be an out of state transfer. I'm the first person in my family to go to college, and I want to go greek!
I've read this site up and down, gotten 2-3 recommendations for each sorority...
But I haven't found a lot of information about USC rush in particular on this site.
Does anyone have any advice to give me? I know SEC recruitment is daunting but I figure SC is one of the smaller schools in the conference, so the advice for rush there may differ from the advice given for say, Alabama or Ole Miss.

Thank you all so much for your great posts on this forum! They've really given me an idea of what to expect and how things work
Also, just to clarify, my hometown is in the South! Just not South Carolina.
Old 07-20-2011, 04:47 PM
GreekChat Member

I did a rec last year for a girl who went through recruitment there. She was also from out-of-state. She said it was a very competitive recruitment, but she did find her home! That is great you got the recs -- you do need them at SEC schools. Not sure size factors in much in this case. Ole Miss is smaller than most SEC schools, but their recruitment is one of the most competitive in the nation (if not the most). I am thinking the advice for USC would be the same as UGA, Alabama and other SEC schools, but hopefully someone with first hand experience will join this thread and be more helpful.
Old 07-20-2011, 05:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Also, just so you won't be in complete shock when you arrive at USC, I don't think they are one of the smaller SEC schools! We went through the college app process with one of our sons last fall and had info from most all SEC schools. If I'm not mistaken, USC is around 30,000 students which is comparable to Alabama...and it is actually bigger than Tennessee, Kentucky, LSU, Ole Miss and Mississippi State. Get ready for a big campus! (A fun one, though --been there several times for football games!)
Old 07-20-2011, 05:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AlwaysSAI
Make sure you go to their Pahhellenic website. They have very useful booklets about Greek Life at USC that are downloadable. There are also very detailed booklets all about costs/housing/greek meal plans/etc.

One of my sorority sisters works there (along with my actual sister) and she tells me that girls come in knowing exactly where they are going to join because mom, grandma, so on was XYZ. I think it would behoove you to keep an open mind.

Also, Alpha Gamma Delta is colonizing there in the fall of 2012.

Best of luck! And, let us know if you find your home. (:
Old 07-20-2011, 09:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greekdee View Post
Also, just so you won't be in complete shock when you arrive at USC, I don't think they are one of the smaller SEC schools! We went through the college app process with one of our sons last fall and had info from most all SEC schools. If I'm not mistaken, USC is around 30,000 students which is comparable to Alabama...and it is actually bigger than Tennessee, Kentucky, LSU, Ole Miss and Mississippi State. Get ready for a big campus! (A fun one, though --been there several times for football games!)
I'm sorry I guess I should have specified - I mean that I was under the impression greek life there isn't as HUGE as it is at places like Alabama. I think only 20% of undergrads are greek.

I think that I've found my University home at SC, but hopefully I'll find my sorority home too
Old 07-20-2011, 11:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Ha ha, no I actually should have realized what you meant! Since you chose, applied to and got accepted to SC, you no doubt are aware of its size. Anyway, I wish I knew how many went through recruitment last year when I gave the rec; I don't but saw they had something like 60-65 Rho Chi's and each had a small group of PNM's. Can't say how many were in each group, but at an SEC school, it's safe to expect a lot of girls will be going through recruitment with you.

As you've most likely read numerous times here on GC, keeping an open mind really is important. I do a lot of recs for girls going to SEC schools and see too many head into recruitment with their mind set on just a few houses...usually one they are a legacy to, have a friend in or have "heard" is a top house. That mentality really can set someone up for a disappointing recruitment!

I tell everyone I do recs for that the best sorority is your own sorority. Approach recruitment with a heart and mind that are willing to look at every chapter, learn what they have to offer and consider what YOU have to contribute to them. This helps! Your gifts, talents and personality may be much more suitable to ABC house than they are to XYZ house. The women at DEF house may mesh with your definition of sisterhood much better than the women at QRS house. PNM's who aren't willing to give every sorority a chance might miss out on discovering that vital info, and therefore miss out on the best place for them.

Also, there is much to be said for good conversation skills. By this, I don't mean knocking everyone's sock's off with dazzling and delightful chit-chat; rather, it is applying skills that keep the conversation going, make it meaningful, validate the other person and encourage them to want to talk to you again. The best book I personally recommend to anyone going through recruitment is Dale Carnegie's "How to Win Friends and Influence People." The condensed version of the book is only about 50 pages but filled with such great suggestions that are easy to apply. Implementing good conversation skills helps the sorority member learn more about you while giving you the opportunity to learn more about them.

I wish you the absolute best during recruitment! The girl I did the rec for last year lives about 8-9 hours from campus, but can't wait to return to school after summer break. She actually went into recruitment as a clean slate -- knew nothing about the chapters and stayed very open minded through the process. She found her Greek home and is very happy.
Old 07-21-2011, 10:50 AM
GreekChat Member

MtnLady, My daughter is Greek @ USC. She is also OOS. She is there now for Summer school and loves being a Gamecock. It is my understanding from her that they are changing up recruitment a little this year. I think they are stretching out the number of recruitment days. Also, the time between Prefs and bid day has been expanded. You should check with Panhellenic for all the details. Last year there was a Facebook page for questions, check it out if have questions.
My best advice would be stay hydrated. Columbia's motto is "Famously Hot" and they aren't kidding. Down time last year was spent at the STROM.
Regarding numbers, last year was something like 1400 girls at the beginning. Pledge classes were 85-90 ish. That is 900 girls. I believe their policy is that if you go to at least one pref party, you are guaranteed a bid. Double check that with Panhellenic. Good luck to you!
Old 07-21-2011, 02:15 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm also going through SC recruitment this fall!

I'm a bit worried about how competitive it's going to be, because I can't find much info on it, and I don't have an idea where I stand academically with the girls that rush at USC. I've seen the whole 'If you have less than a 3.0, then I strongly urge you to reconsider rushing an SEC school," But I'm not sure how that works, since I'm a transfer student, just shy of 30 hours to be a sophomore, and have a 3.36 for my college GPA, but my high school GPA was lower than a 3.0. Quite a difference.

I saw that Recruitment from orientation to bid day is 14 days, longer than I was expecting, with nearly a week between Philanthropy and pref day, with bid day the next day.

Does anyone know the types of numbers from the beginning of rush to those that receive bids at Ole Miss, which is considered one of the most competitive recruitments in the nation, to see where SC stacks against it?

Also, they have a facebook for recruitment this year as well, it is:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/USC-Sorority-Recruitment-2011/118180264930358
Old 07-21-2011, 03:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by atrianglepi View Post
My best advice would be stay hydrated. Columbia's motto is "Famously Hot" and they aren't kidding. Good luck to you!
Second that! I went to Basic Trainig in the area and he Augus heat is no joke! You don't have to tell us where you are from...but if it is a place that's no as hot you will be shocked! I am from PA so imagine how I felt.

Drink more water throughout the week leading up to Recruitment. Not too much but enough, and avoid caffeine.

Good luck and enjoy! Good job on getting multiple recs for each house too. Sounds like you are well-prepared.
Old 07-21-2011, 07:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by *winter* View Post
Second that! I went to Basic Trainig in the area and he Augus heat is no joke! You don't have to tell us where you are from...but if it is a place that's no as hot you will be shocked! I am from PA so imagine how I felt.

Drink more water throughout the week leading up to Recruitment. Not too much but enough, and avoid caffeine.

Good luck and enjoy! Good job on getting multiple recs for each house too. Sounds like you are well-prepared.
I have a lot of friends at SC so I've been visiting the whole school year and I fell in love with the heat! Its not QUITE as hot and humid where I'm from but I've been down a couple of times this summer - stayed with a friend whose air conditioning went out (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) - so I'm ready to rumble with the heat!!
Thank you for the advice though - it would be shocking to someone who hadn't visited!

Also - thanks for saying I sound prepared! I've really tried to do everything that I can.

Atrianglepi - I noticed the rush schedule was really spread out HOW WEIRD! I wonder if that will be an advantage or disadvantage. I'm nervous about having to wait days and days to see who asked me back for the next round, but I guess it will be good to have a rest.
Old 07-22-2011, 09:19 AM
GreekChat Member

It seems some campuses are going to this format now. From what I've heard, it seems to help the drop out rate. I haven't experienced it first hand, however. I think you can make of it what you will. Hopefully you will take that break to think about the chapters that you didn't think too highly of and maybe think through if your issues were real, sidewalk (tent) talk or just one nervous member who wasn't a great conversationalist. You can also take that break to rest and rehydrate, and get to know the girls on your dorm floor and adjust to college life. Or you can (as I would undoubtedly have done if our rush had been structured that way) send yourself into an emotional tailspin of anxiety. Do as I say, not as I would have done! Best of luck to you.
Old 07-22-2011, 09:26 AM

It's actually really nice to have a spread out schedule - it gives you more time to think about things and makes it less of a "rush."

Do you actually have to wait till the next weekend to find out who your pref invites are from? I thought maybe another part of this schedule was to give the girls who are cut enough time to make weekend plans so they don't have to be on campus over bid day.
Old 07-22-2011, 10:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Regarding the new expanded schedule, my daughter told me it is exactly for the reasons everyone mentioned. I think many girls get overwhelmed and probably wish they had more time to think about their impressions, feelings, the costs, etc.
I also think it is less grueling for both the PNM's and the members. More days means less parties each day. Everyone is more rested and ready to go.

I do understand not wanting to wait. When I rushed back in the day we had parties in Oct and Nov. Then we had the final two rounds in Jan. We managed the anxiety of not knowing invites, that just how it was done.

One issue will be the no communication rule. Last year there were two rounds of parties before classes began. The whole thing was over by the first weekend. Now if the girls in your classes/dorm or whatever don't talk to you for the first week of classes don't take it personally.

BTW it was 106 in COLA yesterday. Famously Hot indeed!
Old 07-23-2011, 01:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
It's actually really nice to have a spread out schedule - it gives you more time to think about things and makes it less of a "rush."

Do you actually have to wait till the next weekend to find out who your pref invites are from? I thought maybe another part of this schedule was to give the girls who are cut enough time to make weekend plans so they don't have to be on campus over bid day.
I emailed the sorority council to ask if I would have to wait a full week between my last round and preference night, and they said yes!

I am pretty sure I will lose my head during this time with worry. Also they said if you go to preference night and sign a preference card you are guaranteed a bid from one of those sororities.