GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,679
2 members and 1,677 guests
flamboyanttree, LaneSig

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-16-2018, 09:55 PM
GreekChat Member

A Book Worm's Recruitment Story!

I finished my recruitment journey about a week and a half ago and wrote down everything that happened as it was happening. I’ve read enough stories to know that you shouldn’t post your experience until you’ve completed recruitment, so I am going to now be telling you all about how I found my home! Like I said, I wrote each of my posts in real time, so you’ll be reading exactly what I was feeling each day. I hope you all enjoy!

Hello GreekChat users, and Happy New Year! I am a freshman at a Southern school that opts to defer formal recruitment until January in order to encourage us PNM’s to adjust to our new lives and to keep our grades up during the fall semester. I’ve known that I wanted to join a sorority for as long as I can remember. My mother raised my sister and I on detailed stories concerning the sweetness of sisterhood and collegiate shenanigans, so my burning desire to find my own home has been eating me alive this past semester! I have had the best time living on campus so far this year, but I honestly feel like a piece has been missing: my sisters (that sounds so incredibly cliche, but it’s the truth!) I was totally the girl who registered for recruitment on the very first day that it opened, and I don’t feel the LEAST bit guilty about it! I have already made so many friends in a lot of the chapters on campus, and I am so excited to find out where I’ll best fit in! I must admit, the preparation process has been a bit grueling, but I am proud to say that I was able to successfully secure a personal recommendation for each of the houses. I’ve always been told that I’m a little spunky and very outgoing, so I hope to find a group of women that highlights these qualities in me! I am definitely happy to be going through this with some of my absolute closest friends, but I have made a promise to myself that I will not base my decisions on the opinions or experiences of anyone except myself. Just like everyone always says, keeping an open mind is the name of the game!

We have eight sororities that participate in formal recruitment. I’m a bit of a bookworm, so I’ve decided to name my school’s chapters after my childhood favorite fictional female characters!
Nancy Drew (Nancy Drew novels)
Matilda Wormwood (Matilda)
Anne Shirley (Anne of Green Gables)
Jo March (Little Women)
Laura Ingalls (Little House on the Prairie)
Ramona Quimby (Ramona Quimby novels)
Hermione Granger (Harry Potter novels)
Fern Arable (Charlotte’s Web)

I wanted to also quickly mention that I am a legacy to Anne Shirley through my mom and to Nancy Drew through my sister, although she goes to another school. Neither of them have put any amount of pressure on me to join their chapter, and I am so thankful for that. Our recruitment is 5 days long, beginning with Orientation, followed by Open House, Philanthropy Day, and Preference, and ending with Bid Day! I am definitely antsy for the week to start. I’ll update you all tomorrow after Orientation!