GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,681
2 members and 1,679 guests
flamboyanttree, LaneSig

Old 08-07-2008, 09:31 AM
lrdavis5

Having rec letters can hurt your chances

I have heard recently from individuals currently active in 2 different big 10 school sororities (large) that rec letters can hurt a PNM. The word is that if they have ANY doubts about the rushee who has a rec letter, she is cut after the first round and actually gets more scrutiny than if she had no letter. This sounds like if she had not had a letter she may have gotten past first round and possibly gotten a bid later. Also, there are stories that the current members will make fun of the letters written as they review them. I'm sure that is understandable given human nature, but the letters don't seem to be taken seriously at all. Current members have commented that each girl should have an "equal chance," and that the rec letters are somehow "cheating." Maybe the nationals should re-educate current members about the value of loyalty through the legacy system. I know that a given legacy may not necessarily fit into a given chapter and should be cut, but to make it a disadvantage is not right. There are many alums who thoughtfully write letters for the purpose of helping the rushees, but maybe they should re-think this "help."
Old 08-07-2008, 09:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrdavis5 View Post
I have heard recently from individuals currently active in 2 different big 10 school sororities (large) that rec letters can hurt a PNM. The word is that if they have ANY doubts about the rushee who has a rec letter, she is cut after the first round and actually gets more scrutiny than if she had no letter. This sounds like if she had not had a letter she may have gotten past first round and possibly gotten a bid later. Also, there are stories that the current members will make fun of the letters written as they review them. I'm sure that is understandable given human nature, but the letters don't seem to be taken seriously at all. Current members have commented that each girl should have an "equal chance," and that the rec letters are somehow "cheating." Maybe the nationals should re-educate current members about the value of loyalty through the legacy system. I know that a given legacy may not necessarily fit into a given chapter and should be cut, but to make it a disadvantage is not right. There are many alums who thoughtfully write letters for the purpose of helping the rushees, but maybe they should re-think this "help."
From what I've seen on this board it really all depends where you go to school. Some school you need them and others no one cares if you do or don't.
A rec letter is different from a legacy though. Different rules apply when someone is a legacy to XYZ than when they just have a rec letter from a family friend for XYZ. Or at least thats the impression I got.

I can't say its a bad idea for everyone to have an equal chance because it'd be a shame for Susie-no-rec not to get an equal chance just because she's the first to go greek in her family and doesn't know anyone who could write her a letter. But at the same time, a rec letter could be a big help if you're at a big school and only have 20 minutes to get to know each of 1000 girls.

Last edited by red10; 08-07-2008 at 10:06 AM.
Old 08-07-2008, 10:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
The word is that if they have ANY doubts about the rushee who has a rec letter, she is cut after the first round and actually gets more scrutiny than if she had no letter.

I think that the PNMs got cut because of the "doubts" and not because she had a recommendation. I'd still advise getting recs for any school if possible. If a PNM gets cut, it's most likely that something about her (conversation, grades, etc.) didn't match up well with the chapter. Recs are not a guarantee to get a PNM to a next round and "Legacy" status is totally different from having or not having a recommendation.

Last edited by Kansas City; 08-07-2008 at 10:27 AM.
Old 08-07-2008, 01:14 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Are you a part of a sorority?

Do you participate in membership selection?

If not, maybe you should not preach what you do not know.
Old 08-07-2008, 01:35 PM

If you are not an active/alumna of those particular chapters, then you don't know this, since membership selection is the private business of those chapters.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 08-07-2008 at 01:53 PM.
Old 08-07-2008, 01:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I truly do not mean to be unkind when I write this, but your entire post seems like you are digging for information. I'm making a leap here, but I think you are the one you describe in your own post who is attempting to rationalize why you may have been cut.
Old 08-07-2008, 02:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by icelandelf View Post
I truly do not mean to be unkind when I write this, but your entire post seems like you are digging for information. I'm making a leap here, but I think you are the one you describe in your own post who is attempting to rationalize why you may have been cut.
This was my guess as well (or maybe it is a PNM who is trying to reassure herself because she did not receive recs). In my experience I would say the opposite is true. I think at the larger schools women like receiving recs because it makes the compilation of party lists that much easier. At smaller schools receiving recs is irregular and therefore exciting. I can't think of a situation (except a "no rec" of course!) where a rec would hurt a woman. And, to be honest, the attitude of "every woman has an equal chance" is usually not an attitude present in sorority rush simply because every woman does not have an equal chance inherently (grades, recs, legacies, community service, talents...as well as more superficial aspects).
Old 08-07-2008, 02:14 PM
GreekChat Member

The OP, according to her profile, is supposedly a "ZTA Michigan State alum" from Winnetka, IL.
Old 08-07-2008, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevinpiphi View Post
The OP, according to her profile, is supposedly a "ZTA Michigan State alum" from Winnetka, IL.
Bet I know what else she is.

Old 08-07-2008, 02:20 PM
GreekChat Member

The entire OP sounds off-base and uninformed.

Regarding the actives' behavior when reading letters, that sounds like an isolated incident and something for the recruitment advisor to address with the chapter.
Old 08-07-2008, 02:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post

That makes sense to me now ^^^

Last edited by icelandelf; 08-07-2008 at 02:25 PM. Reason: add quote
Old 08-07-2008, 03:15 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post

A simple Google of the OP's username brings up several TripAdvisor reviews of different hotels s/he stayed in while visiting college campuses.

Methinks 33girl is correct.
Old 08-07-2008, 03:24 PM
GreekChat Member

oh my.
Old 08-07-2008, 03:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTW View Post
A simple Google of the OP's username brings up several TripAdvisor reviews of different hotels s/he stayed in while visiting college campuses.

Methinks 33girl is correct.
There is the other thread she started yesterday as well.

Twin son and daughter maybe?
Old 08-07-2008, 03:44 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
There is the other thread she started yesterday as well.

Twin son and daughter maybe?
Oh that should be a good recruitment story!

Or maybe the designated info getter for the kids on her street?