GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,129
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zavictoiajnr131
» Online Users: 981
1 members and 980 guests
zavictoiajnr131

Old 07-09-2008, 05:32 PM
GreekChat Member

FSU Fraternities

Hello guys,

My brother is going to rush at FSU as a freshman this year and I was wondering how it was structured. Do guys who attend summer parties have a better chance of getting a bid from a certain fraternity?

Thanks!
Brit.
Old 07-09-2008, 05:34 PM
Super Moderator

we have a couple of guys from fsu who post frequently. hopefully they will see your post and answer your questions. good luck to your brother!
Old 07-09-2008, 05:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Fratty, where are you?
Old 07-10-2008, 01:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by britbit08 View Post
Hello guys,

My brother is going to rush at FSU as a freshman this year and I was wondering how it was structured. Do guys who attend summer parties have a better chance of getting a bid from a certain fraternity?

Thanks!
Brit.
Yeah, this applies to any school.
Old 07-10-2008, 10:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PANTHERTEKE View Post
Yeah, this applies to any school.
Not so much. You can also attend a summer party and convince everyone that you're a douche and lose a bid you may have otherwise gotten.

And I think FSU does an informal rush week where you just visit the houses you're interested in, if they like you you'll get invited to the actual parties that IFC says they aren't supposed to be having and get a bid at some point.
Old 07-10-2008, 11:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzgirl View Post
Fratty, where are you?
Summer rush parties are not necessary but attending them does greatly increase a rushee's chance of getting a bid. It's just a chance for the brothers to meet potential rushees and size them up while rushing them at the same time.
For example, we have one coming up on Saturday. The goal is to a) make sure the rushees have a great time and b) make sure that the rushees can handle themselves in a social environment.
Old 07-10-2008, 11:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiGam View Post
Summer rush parties are not necessary but attending them does greatly increase a rushee's chance of getting a bid. It's just a chance for the brothers to meet potential rushees and size them up while rushing them at the same time.
For example, we have one coming up on Saturday. The goal is to a) make sure the rushees have a great time and b) make sure that the rushees can handle themselves in a social environment.
I imagine I'll be running into you Saturday.
Old 07-10-2008, 11:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Sort of a hijack, but I was wondering how guys who live way out of the area fare in terms of rushing. Since they aren't close, don't attend one of the more local HS, don't know anyone and probably not privy to how things work at a school say, in FL or in the SEC, they probably have no idea that summer rush parties exist unless they are hyper vigilent about the Greek system and research it.

Is that the very point, that out of staters are at a measurable disadvantage (I heard this is the case in many southern sorority chapters) due to not personally knowing anyone or the system? They would have to do their due diligence to figure this out, make some sort of connection, and/or be a super prospective new member come fall. Perhaps in working that hard to research the process for out-of-staters might put them on equal footing with those who are local (given that these guys are on similar footing acedemically, socially, etc.).

I have no personal connection to any of these schools or people, I am just wondering how low the chances are that someone not familiar with the practices down there have to be selected by a Fraternity.

Old 07-10-2008, 12:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Here's the reality about fraternity rush.

Interestingly, I have found many opinions on it by folks on this board to be a bit of a stretch. Especially posts from those living in the south.

Greeks can't be as selective as many claim simply because there are not that many "super cool" kids to go around. Every house has a few "birds". I was in a top tier house, at a top tier university with a top tier greek system. Ironically, some of the "birds" in my house turned out to be my best friends. This reality applies to every school in the country. South, North, East and West.

If you are a normal looking, non-obnoxious and outgoing kid who has been popular through Junior high and High school, you going to be sought after by most fraternities on most campus.

There is no science to this. It's pretty simple stuff....
Old 07-10-2008, 12:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaGirl07 View Post
Awesome, I'll probably be rolling in to the party around 11-12.
Old 07-10-2008, 12:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niedermeyer View Post
Here's the reality about fraternity rush.

Interestingly, I have found many opinions on it by folks on this board to be a bit of a stretch. Especially posts from those living in the south.

Greeks can't be as selective as many claim simply because there are not that many "super cool" kids to go around. Every house has a few "birds". I was in a top tier house, at a top tier university with a top tier greek system. Ironically, some of the "birds" in my house turned out to be my best friends. This reality applies to every school in the country. South, North, East and West.

If you are a normal looking, non-obnoxious and outgoing kid who has been popular through Junior high and High school, you going to be sought after by most fraternities on most campus.

There is no science to this. It's pretty simple stuff....
Are you the founder of FH?
Old 07-10-2008, 01:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to FSUfiji
Quote:
Originally Posted by britbit08 View Post
Hello guys,

Thanks!
Brit.
Just like my brother PhiGam said, summer rush parties are a very good way to get a foot in the door early. I am a perfect example because my first summer here(2 summers ago) i went to numerous summer fraternity parties (sigma chi, tke, LXA, TEP, and FIJI of course) and i got a feel for what i wanted and who i felt comfortable with (and i got my bid in the summer) so when fall rush came around i knew where i wanted to go and a good amount of guys were already comfortable with me.

I know many other guys who have done the same thing and are a part of greek as well.

LIke our party we're throwing on saturday is a chance for the freshmen and potential rushees to get a feel for us. overall i would suggest your brother attending summer rush parties, it will on ly help him in the long run.
Florida State University
Old 07-10-2008, 01:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
You should def. go! Do you know any of our brothers?
Florida State University
Old 07-10-2008, 02:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUfiji View Post
You should def. go! Do you know any of our brothers?
Only a couple. I know Mitch from home, and met Chris the other night at Ken's. You guys did a smart thing having your party on Saturday night, because at least 4 -5 are having theirs Friday night.
Old 07-10-2008, 02:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Only a couple. I know Mitch from home, and met Chris the other night at Ken's. You guys did a smart thing having your party on Saturday night, because at least 4 -5 are having theirs Friday night.
Oh ok cool. Yea it was supposed to be friday, but i got it changed to saturday that way we'll have a bigger turn out than we would on friday. It should be awesome as usual 8-)
Florida State University