GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,389
0 members and 1,389 guests
No Members online

Old 05-07-2007, 06:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dionysus View Post
I always refer to Zeta Phi Beta as the "chocolate zeta" and Zeta Tau Alpha at the "vanilla zeta". I wonder what you call a white ZPhiB. A white chocolate zeta?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senusret I View Post
You need to be washed in the blood of the lamb.
rotfl!!!!!

ZΦB
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-07-2007, 06:55 PM
GreekChat Member

i've met frat that are Asian, Hispanic, Middle Eastern, Caribbean Indian, White, whatever...they went with the org that they felt they best identified with, and it just so happened to be...PHI BETA SIGMA FRATERNITY, INCORPORATED!!! and i've also met tha same for ZETA PHI BETA SORORITY, INCORPORATED!!! but yeah, do you're research, and decide which org you best fit...not based on stereotype, but on principles and the activities they are doin on campus and in the community. also get to know they brothers in the chapter of the org on your campus, if you dont already know them.
Old 05-07-2007, 09:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinerbock View Post
Well, if you're from SoCal and you go to NYU or UF or LSU, thats not that confusing. But if you're from Orange Co. and you go to Georgia Southern or Oswego St., its a little weird.
Or at least is makes you wonder what the connection to the college was. I too think it's interesting when people go to colleges where they will be an extreme racial or ethnic minority (Cool interesting, not freak show interesting). With PWIs (which I'm guessing is Predominantly White Institution, right?), sometimes you might imagine that people go because it's the big state school or it's public and cheap. Often when you talk about HBCs, the tradition that attracts someone has got to be different than that, since often they are smaller, private, and maybe not so cheap, and especially for undergraduate school, I am curious about the particular elements that drew someone in.
Old 05-07-2007, 09:24 PM
GreekChat Member

have you considered multicultural organizations? i know that at my school, which is mixed, i was interested in joining a sorority, but i'm not "white" enough for mainstream, "black" enough for divine nine, or "latina" enough for a latin org. then i found Lambda Psi Delta Sorority Incorporated, which is multicultural, and haven't looked back! it's been great and i would highly reccomend checking out what your campus has to offer. or even do your research and found a chapter if there aren't any. that's what we're doing!
Old 05-07-2007, 09:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Just join an organization that you are interested in WORKING YOUR ASS OFF in. You'll be fine.
Old 05-07-2007, 10:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Sometimes that's the point - if you really didn't enjoy high school or your hometown and 80% of the populace goes to a certain school, you may want to get as far away from that as possible.
YES.

When I was in HS all I wanted to do was get as far away as possible and out from under my parents wings (I'm an only child). I considered Catholic U in DC even but decided I'd had enough of Catholic schools. I ended up in St Louis.
Old 05-07-2007, 10:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Reds6 Send a message via Yahoo to Reds6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilaria Ame View Post
have you considered multicultural organizations? i know that at my school, which is mixed, i was interested in joining a sorority, but i'm not "white" enough for mainstream, "black" enough for divine nine, or "latina" enough for a latin org. then i found Lambda Psi Delta Sorority Incorporated, which is multicultural, and haven't looked back! it's been great and i would highly reccomend checking out what your campus has to offer. or even do your research and found a chapter if there aren't any. that's what we're doing!
What equates to "white, black, and latino enough?" Just curious.
Old 05-07-2007, 11:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reds6 View Post
What equates to "white, black, and latino enough?" Just curious.

i, of course, meant this personally, not generally. but what i was referring to, especially on my campus, is the seperation that occurs. in order to feel comfortable in a white sorority here i have to be comfortable going to "old south" confederate balls, or having sisters who are openly racist. the divine nine sororities here are so used to being treated with prejudice that unless i was a "home girl" with no white roots whatsoever i'm looked at as just another white girl trying to be black. which is not the case. as far as latina sororities, there aren't any here, so i base this only on what i've heard and read, but i'm not interested in learning to speak spanish or trying to pretend their values are similar to mine, because they aren't. i find i'm most comfortable representing a sorority that openly embraces its sorors' cultural differences.
Old 05-07-2007, 11:23 PM
GreekChat Member

I applied for a scholarship but have not found out if I have recieved it yet. The school is closer to my work than any other college that offers Engineering. The town has more to offer than other cities within a couple of hours. My sick mother is also close by. The school has a lot of programs and new facilities with a good boom going on right now. I firugred what the heck go for it. The fact I am white and it is a HBCU doesnt bother me. I am just interested on how to join a NPHC frat. I appreciate all the info offered. I have already read The Divine Nine. I will read the other books cited earlier. Race doesnt bother me. I was just curious on how common non African American people join the NPHC. Now that I have recieved all the input I will put it to work and do my best. I hope to offer all I have to the one I choose. I believe as long as I put my best foot forward and be myself I will be fine. Thanks Again!!!
Old 05-07-2007, 11:51 PM
GreekChat Member

I love it when they say thank you at the end.
Old 05-08-2007, 03:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Although she was an honorary member, Eleanor Roosevelt, was one of more famous members of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc.

Of course we can go into a lot of demeaning history, but I have seen plenty of members that are obviously caucasian women who joined my Sorority in the 60's and beyond.

And since they are attending the plenary sessions of the biennal meetings we have and have "delegate badges", then I gather they have been paying for their dues to be active in a graduate chapter...

Like my soror said, if you are about public service and helping people, then you will be fine.

Like I tell my chapter sorors now, can homegirl sell at banquet table? Hayle, if I am going to be assessed $$$$ to be in my chapter and have to pay it to be a validated member, then an interested member should do the same!

"Yo soy una mujer negra" ~Zoe Saldana
Old 05-09-2007, 02:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by starang21 View Post
there's this asian AKA up in indianapolis, i think.

if i wasn't bethrothed to chaos.....i'd drink her bathwater.

Know your role beyotch!
Old 05-09-2007, 02:33 PM
GreekChat Member

One of my linesisters was and is Japanese and she pledged at Spelman College in 1989...

"Yo soy una mujer negra" ~Zoe Saldana
Old 05-09-2007, 02:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JonInKC
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartBlondeGPhB View Post
YES.

When I was in HS all I wanted to do was get as far away as possible and out from under my parents wings (I'm an only child). I considered Catholic U in DC even but decided I'd had enough of Catholic schools. I ended up in St Louis.
So you moved to probably the most catholic area of missouri. I love it.

p a w e a since 1899
Old 05-09-2007, 05:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA_Monet View Post
One of my linesisters was and is Japanese and she pledged at Spelman College in 1989...
Congratulations!

There should be no I be You Be!

It just boils down to what that person feels who and wants to be with with out negative vibes from anyone!

LX Z # 1
Alumni