GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Phi > Phi Kappa Psi

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,649
2 members and 1,647 guests
flamboyanttree, LaneSig

Old 06-28-2004, 04:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to PhiPsiRuss Send a message via AIM to PhiPsiRuss Send a message via Yahoo to PhiPsiRuss
Lightbulb Jefferson Duo

For those of you with a Fiji chapter on your campus, do you do anything with them? (and if you're a Fiji, you're more than welcome to post your perspective.)

When I was at FSU, we didn't, and looking back, I wish we did.

Also, a few years ago there was an incident that went to the NIC's judiciary committee. We, and another fraternity, were courting a local fraternity for affiliation. The other fraternity behaved in an unethical way, and abused the fact that the greek affairs advisor and school president were both members of that fraternity. When this matter went in front of the NIC, the first person to speak on our side was the Fiji delegate. He defended us forcefully. In the end, the NIC did take our side, but only admonished this third fraternity.

As I see it, Phi Psi and Fiji share something special. While we will never be brothers with each other, we are close cousins. That bond should be strengthened whenever possible.
Old 06-28-2004, 06:01 PM
GreekChat Member

FIJI has given an open invitation for assistance with recolonizing at Iowa State.
Old 06-28-2004, 09:48 PM
GreekChat Member

The first time I ever worked in a law office, the other intern who I worked closely with was a FIJI, though that was before I became a Phi Psi...I have heard of the two houses jointly throwing a Jefferson Duo formal but that's the extent of it out here in California. Except for I believe UCI, most schools have one but not the other, and in the ones that don't, our chapters often did not have much in common-i.e. FIJI's strongest chapter is at Berkeley, where Phi Psi has struggled over the last decade, and our proud USC chapter has been doing well versus FIJI's which closed down a while ago. It's a shame Stanford does not have Phi Gamma Delta because that relationship WOULD thrive in a Greek environment like ours.

Though the terms themselves are fairly meaningless, I actually always regarded FIJI and Phi Psi as brothers-I think our Sesquicentennial book refers to them as such. Mainly it's because I've always heard of the Monmouth Duo referred to as sister sororities-Kappa Kappa Gamma and Pi Beta Phi. Although I know they're close at many schools, they are particularly so at Stanford right now, and probably half of the members in each group are unaware of their history. The way rush dynamics work, the two sororities attract the same type of girls, but Kappa doesn't have a house--hence what many members see is the perfect environment for cooperation and not competition. During pledgeship, Kappas and Pi Phis throw numerous events together at Stanford, including several dances and bonding events, and there is very much the "sister" idea in force.

Last edited by jefflee108; 06-28-2004 at 09:52 PM.
Old 07-04-2004, 01:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Just curious if there are any other significant connections besides both fraternities being founded at the same college?
Our colony president and I had discussed having a Phi-fest joint invite-party with FIJI at Iowa State.
Old 07-04-2004, 01:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to PhiPsiRuss Send a message via AIM to PhiPsiRuss Send a message via Yahoo to PhiPsiRuss
Quote:
Originally posted by IowaStatePhiPsi
Just curious if there are any other significant connections besides both fraternities being founded at the same college?
Our colony president and I had discussed having a Phi-fest joint invite-party with FIJI at Iowa State.
I'm not aware of any significance beyond both fraternities being founded at the same college.
Old 11-10-2004, 05:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Historic Sites

Phi Kappa Psi brothers may be interested in our web site, which has exhibits of historic sites and monuments at Canonsburg, PA and Washington, PA. These include the founding memorials at Washington and Jefferson College, the old Log Cabin, and more.

www.phigam.org/history

The Log Cabin recently underwent a complete renovation. Phi Gam and Phi Psi have each contributed one third to the renovation.

Also, does anyone have any data on the founding location of Phi Psi in Canonsburg? I think the old Letherman/Leatherman house is still extant, but am not sure of the exact street address or condition. I believe it is still a private home. I ask because I would like to include it on the aforementioned historic sites page.

Interfraternally,

Towner
Old 11-10-2004, 06:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Historic Sites

Quote:
Originally posted by townerb
Phi Kappa Psi brothers may be interested in our web site, which has exhibits of historic sites and monuments at Canonsburg, PA and Washington, PA. These include the founding memorials at Washington and Jefferson College, the old Log Cabin, and more.

www.phigam.org/history

The Log Cabin recently underwent a complete renovation. Phi Gam and Phi Psi have each contributed one third to the renovation.

Also, does anyone have any data on the founding location of Phi Psi in Canonsburg? I think the old Letherman/Leatherman house is still extant, but am not sure of the exact street address or condition. I believe it is still a private home. I ask because I would like to include it on the aforementioned historic sites page.

Interfraternally,

Towner
Thanks for sharing this information with us.

The old Letterman house was completely destroyed by fire on February 11th, 1963. I don't know the address of that house, but I can put you into contact with our historian. PM me for his contact information. He did extensive research on our early history when he was chairman of our sesquicentenial history celebration.

Interfraternally,

Russ...
Old 08-07-2006, 06:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to HotSEXJ
Great idea to get these two involved!

I will bring this up, try to get something off the ground this year
Old 08-14-2006, 05:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotSEXJ
Great idea to get these two involved!

I will bring this up, try to get something off the ground this year
Let us know how it goes.