GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Chapter Operations
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chapter Operations Share plans, ideas, and brainstorm problems related to chapter operations. Topics also include parliamentary procedure, national programs, innovations & etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 2,175
2 members and 2,173 guests
MethrenLusia, Tridentia

Old 12-03-2003, 03:05 AM

Send a message via AIM to Zetagymnast Send a message via Yahoo to Zetagymnast
My pledge period was 6 weeks but one of those weeks were spring break so that week(even though we had assignments) doesn't count. We have decided to that pledge for our next line will be 6 weeks. My brother fraternities line has been going on for I think 7 or 8 weeks now, they saw we got off easy when we were pledged. So our is a minimum of 4 weeks not exceeding 8.

I also wanted to say that I don't agree with 3 week pledge periods. Our 6 week program is really intense with activities almost everyday and every weekend. We are starting in January so that they will cross in February before mid-terms. We did all our selections this semester (we didn't pledge anyone due to personal problems within the sorority). I think our next couple of lines will be big.
I also wanted to know how many nms do you take in a pledge class, that could really determine how long the process will be? or at least one deciding factor.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 12-03-2003, 10:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Our chapter uses the maximum eight weeks simply because its so hard to get everyone together. Since most of our sisters and new members work 20-35 hours a week it is very difficult to get them together more than once a week. If we had a four week program we might only have them all together 4-6 times through the whole program for ribboning, pinning, big/littles, new member meetings etc. Plus we're a commuter school so if a sisters has a different schedule than a new member she may never run into her on campus. We need the time to have enough activities to get to know one another!
Old 12-03-2003, 01:14 PM
GreekChat Member

My chapter currently has a 7 week nm program, but one of those weeks is basically a "Get ready" week after Bid Day, where they have time to scavenge for white dresses and arrange their schedules to have Sunday nights free.

Gamma Phi Beta as an international organization is transitioning to a new program, called the Complete Sister Program, which has 8, 10, and 12-week lengths. I think my chapter is planning on using the 8-week one because otherwise we'd be waiting a semester to initiate.
Old 12-03-2003, 01:18 PM
GreekChat Member

My chapter's pledge period is generally 6 weeks but last semester for special circumstances it was stretched to 8 weeks. I really liked the 6 weeks b/c then I was initiated by spring break when I was a pledge.
Old 12-04-2003, 07:48 PM
GreekChat Member

8 weeks

eight weeks, with 1 week of "hell". its not that bad though.
Old 12-04-2003, 07:58 PM
GreekChat Member

6 Weeks, Including Happy Fun Week.
Old 06-21-2004, 01:18 PM

Bid Day is in early Sept., and initiation is before winter break. So our NM period is anywhere from 8-10 weeks.

Lakers Nation.
Old 06-21-2004, 01:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Peaches-n-Cream
I pledged for 8 weeks, but that was a long time ago.
Old 06-21-2004, 08:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to bluefish81
Theta's is 4-6 weeks. On my campus, we always did the 6 week option - two times a semester at my campus.
Old 06-26-2004, 12:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to sairose Send a message via Yahoo to sairose
Ours, nationally, must be a minimum of 4 weeks but a maximum of 10. Honestly, there is so much material to learn for the national membership exam that I believe most chapters take the full 10 weeks.
Old 06-26-2004, 12:32 PM
GreekChat Member

pledgeship

pledgeship should be long, hard and tough to pull out.

Go Sammy
Old 06-26-2004, 12:35 PM
GreekChat Member

I was kidding btw.

Our pledge period is eight weeks from the time the bid is accepted and then you get initiated immediately after submiting your materials to IHQ and that is at the conclusion of eight weeks which is plenty. Most members unfortunately don't know as much as the people that are being initiated sometimes so why make them wait beyond eight weeks.

Go Sammy House!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-26-2004, 08:34 PM
Super Moderator

It's a full semester and then you are initiated early the next semester when grades come out (assuming you made grades).
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 07-05-2004, 06:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to BabyP
I am assuming the pledges meet everyday and they have lots of assignments if they are to be done at four to six weeks...... That doesnt sound like enough time. I notice in our univ. its usually two to three months........
Old 07-05-2004, 08:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Our New Member Program is designed to be between six and eight weeks long. I did eight weeks last semester with my COB crop, and I'm going to do eight weeks again for the girls in formal recruitment. Technically, it is eight weeks plus a "zero week", which is the week after Bid Day. With Labor Day and Fall Break, it amounts to seven meetings. There are eight chapters in the Phi manual, so it makes it so much easier to do eight weeks. Six weeks is doable, but I feel like the girls (Phis AND sisters) feel somewhat overprogrammed, because Phi retreat, revealing, etc. all come one weekend after another.

However, I don't think that any group, no matter how long the pledge period, needs to have their new members meeting every day! We have our meetings on Sundays, just like our regular business meeting. What's the point of stressing them out by having them meet every day? What type of "assignments" could possibly require that much work, even pushed into a four to six week period? Just curious.