GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,532
1 members and 2,531 guests
No Members online

Old 12-09-2013, 09:01 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
In other words, an organization has the right to choose its members and set its criteria for membership. But does it also have a right to expect public accommodation if those criteria are contrary to public policy?
A threshold question would be whether the HQ of Kappa Alpha Psi backs the discriminatory activities of the chapter. In other words, the route to proper redress doesn't necessarily have to be through the courts--if the national body reprimands its chapter, that pretty much tells us what we need to know.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 12-09-2013, 11:10 AM
GreekChat Member

I read the article, which seemed pretty short. Maybe I'm missing something here. He cited a gay slur through social media. I'm guessing someone used a nasty term about the guy but, can we all be 100% certain that his sexuality was the entire reason he was dismissed? I'm an LGBTQI advocate but, I also recognize that there may be times, as someone mentioned earlier, when someone just does not mesh well with the members. Why does it automatically have to be because he was gay?
Old 12-09-2013, 12:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by als463 View Post
can we all be 100% certain that his sexuality was the entire reason he was dismissed?
WE don't have to be 100 percent certain. The university is.
Old 12-09-2013, 12:09 PM
GreekChat Member

I know this is venturing into membership selection, but how important is stuff like "fit" in NPHC organizations as compared to things like resume, service history and letters of rec?
Old 12-09-2013, 12:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
I'm guessing someone used a nasty term about the guy but, can we all be 100% certain that his sexuality was the entire reason he was dismissed?
It doesn't have to be the entire reason. If it was considered at all, it is discrimination, and that violates the university's policy. This is no different from a potential employer saying to a colleague "I think als463 was a great candidate, but she just got married. I wonder if she's planning to get pregnant soon."
Old 12-09-2013, 01:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Are we at the point yet that when someone isn't offered a bid, that they are refused that they can pul the disctimination card out?

Maybe the person was gay, but a real jerk? Do we have to take jerks now? Or someone smells bad?

PCNess is getting out of hand!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 12-09-2013, 02:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi U MC Vito View Post
I know this is venturing into membership selection, but how important is stuff like "fit" in NPHC organizations as compared to things like resume, service history and letters of rec?
It's important but it depends on the organization, chapter, and circumstances how important it really is. Also consider that some orgs have legacy policies and others don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
It doesn't have to be the entire reason. If it was considered at all, it is discrimination, and that violates the university's policy. This is no different from a potential employer saying to a colleague "I think als463 was a great candidate, but she just got married. I wonder if she's planning to get pregnant soon."
Right. And I am really not understanding why anyone would jump to the defense of this particular's chapter's "rights."
Old 12-09-2013, 02:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Earp View Post
Are we at the point yet that when someone isn't offered a bid, that they are refused that they can pul the disctimination card out?

Maybe the person was gay, but a real jerk? Do we have to take jerks now? Or someone smells bad?

Did you miss the part where there is evidence that his sexuality was a factor in his being rejected? If there is a personality conflict, fine. But discrimination against somebody because he falls into a protected class is just wrong. It's a return to the bad old days of only rich Christian white men in fraternities.
Old 12-09-2013, 02:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

This has nothing to do with political correctness. This is a chapter that was PROVEN to have discriminated against a candidate for factors that they were NOT ALLOWED to use in the selection process.
Old 12-09-2013, 02:05 PM
Banned

Quote:

Are you serious?

People still use the phrase "politically correct" and its derivatives?

If an applicant is a jerk, and the jerkiness is not about sexual orientation, there is no need to speak negative regarding sexual orientation. That includes slurs.
Old 12-09-2013, 03:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
Are you serious?

People still use the phrase "politically correct" and its derivatives?

If an applicant is a jerk, and the jerkiness is not about sexual orientation, there is no need to speak negative regarding sexual orientation. That includes slurs.
LOL at the smilies at the end of each sentence.
Old 12-09-2013, 04:38 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

Tom, how often in your chapter, do you think your members text each other or worse, group text each other or tweet or Facebook about why they denied someone entry into your pledge program or removed them?

I hope never. It's terrible practice.

These kids, however, did that. They gave proof positive that they were discriminating, maybe illegally.

And the punishment didn't involve the school forcing them to accept this aspirant. It placed them on "probation" for a certain period of time. Hopefully, for the next few years, they can avoid tweeting that they denied membership to someone because of their sexual orientation... maybe lesson learned?
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 12-09-2013, 05:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sen's Revenge View Post
It's important but it depends on the organization, chapter, and circumstances how important it really is. Also consider that some orgs have legacy policies and others don't.

Right. And I am really not understanding why anyone would jump to the defense of this particular's chapter's "rights."
You both have good points and I'm not saying the university isn't 100% correct in thinking that was the case. I guess my question is how people would know outright that someone was denied for being homosexual? I mean, unless it was something like what happened at Alabama with not bidding African American women where it was outright said. My point was that sometimes, and I'm not saying it is definitely the case here, people don't get a bid because they have a bad attitude, aren't the types of people you would want in your organization, etc.
Old 12-09-2013, 06:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
You both have good points and I'm not saying the university isn't 100% correct in thinking that was the case. I guess my question is how people would know outright that someone was denied for being homosexual? I mean, unless it was something like what happened at Alabama with not bidding African American women where it was outright said. My point was that sometimes, and I'm not saying it is definitely the case here, people don't get a bid because they have a bad attitude, aren't the types of people you would want in your organization, etc.
His sexuality was discussed in text messages.
Old 12-09-2013, 08:55 PM
GreekChat Member

If they had kept to their OTHER membership selection rules (secrecy), this would be a non-issue. How many times do we have to say if you are going to do something illegal, unethical or unkind, DON'T FRIGGIN BROADCAST IT!!!