GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,128
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, baadamashtolzea
» Online Users: 1,355
1 members and 1,354 guests
Sarak24034

Old 09-21-2013, 04:06 PM
GreekChat Member

If she just graduated three months ago, I bet her littles are loving her right now for bringing HQ attention to their chapter.
Old 09-21-2013, 04:17 PM
GreekChat Member

It doesn't bother me that the author spoke out about her experience of being hazed. What bothers me is that she chose to continue the cycle, and apparently sees nothing wrong with that.
Old 09-21-2013, 04:59 PM

I think this article is a complete fabrication.

Also, is anyone else bothered by the fact that a picture of a high school movie is used to accompany an article about college? It's the little things that irk me.
Old 09-21-2013, 05:23 PM
GreekChat Member

^^^ Agreed. There's no way that anything this flagrant would have escaped the notice of chapter advisors, Greek Life staff, traveling GLO consultants, etc. These people talk, and students gossip. ALL the fraternities watched the girls dance? There's no way this was kept secret.
Old 09-21-2013, 05:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xidelt View Post
It's Cosmo, where every issue is the same: personality quiz! Mind blowing sex tips! How to rock a bikini at work! Not exactly the gold standard of journalism.
I know...right?! It's not exactly a pillar of journalism- most articles focus on things like "should you have a threesome to make your boyfriend happy?"

Still...it's out there for the world to see...I don't understand the point of the article at all. And WTH is FOMO?!?!?
Old 09-21-2013, 06:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Fear of missing out.

I'm pretty glad I missed out on what she described. I would have told the actives where they could stick their "line-ups."
Old 09-22-2013, 10:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by *winter* View Post
And WTH is FOMO?!?!?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low D Flat View Post
Fear of missing out.
Oh my goodness, thank you! When I first read the article, I tried to figure out what that might mean for about 5 minutes and gave up. I thought it was some stupid variation of YOLO or something.

You KNOW it's a great piece of journalism when the writer uses acronyms that most people don't know, and never explains them.......

@~/~~~~
Old 09-22-2013, 10:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Google is great for figuring out acronyms like FOMO. I wouldn't discount her story as false. Alumnae advisors may be from her chapter and familiar with the hazing as graduates of the abuse. They don't tell because it's chapter "tradition." These types of behaviors DO exist and have been difficult to completely stamp out. I know a school off the top of my head that had similar, if not quite as severe, type activities for new members. It seemed to be the campus culture.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 09-22-2013, 10:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII Angel View Post
Google is great for figuring out acronyms like FOMO. I wouldn't discount her story as false. Alumnae advisors may be from her chapter and familiar with the hazing as graduates of the abuse. They don't tell because it's chapter "tradition." These types of behaviors DO exist and have been difficult to completely stamp out. I know a school off the top of my head that had similar, if not quite as severe, type activities for new members. It seemed to be the campus culture.
I don't doubt that it's true. I just think it was a stupid (and poorly executed) article to put in one's magazine. But it's Cosmo, so I'm not surprised.

At first, I actually thought this was an indirect "call for help"; that she was letting her sorority know what was going on without actually contacting HQ and saying, "My chapter hazes!" But with her replies to some of the people commenting on the article, I'm not so sure. She is completely defending her actions and dismissing the humiliation, fear, and sadness she felt when pledging. I believe she truly thinks this is a good thing.

And now people outside of her small school are going to know about it.

@~/~~~~
Old 09-22-2013, 11:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to DGTess
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASTalumna06 View Post
I don't doubt that it's true. I just think it was a stupid (and poorly executed) article to put in one's magazine. But it's Cosmo, so I'm not surprised.
It's not hard to believe it's true at some places, but it saddens me to think a woman would think so little of herself that she would not only put up with this but continue it.
Old 09-22-2013, 11:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASTalumna06 View Post

At first, I actually thought this was an indirect "call for help"; that she was letting her sorority know what was going on without actually contacting HQ and saying, "My chapter hazes!" But with her replies to some of the people commenting on the article, I'm not so sure. She is completely defending her actions and dismissing the humiliation, fear, and sadness she felt when pledging. I believe she truly thinks this is a good thing.

And now people outside of her small school are going to know about it.
I was responding to someone else who said they thought it was fake because advisers and visitors would catch them. I agree about the stupidity of writing about it in Cosmo, but that's the problem with our Internet age. Eventually someone posts a picture, writes an email that gets forwarded to the wrong person, writes an ill advised article to Cosmo or The Crimson White and a chapter or Greek systems ugly dirty secret starts unraveling.

I also agree that she isn't looking for change. Some women after being hazed don't come around much and don't participate in hazing the next group. They can't stomach the activity. Others relish in it...like this woman who admitted to actively participating in hazing activities at her chapter. We get a sort of one up manship. This happened to me so I'm going to put the next pledges through worse. It doesn't breed sisterhood and in some case leads to the horrible cases, albeit mostly in fraternities, we've heard of like when idiots decide to poor boiling crab boil on pledges because the hot sauce last year wasn't good enough. Well, I hope the third degree burns produced outstandingly tight fraternal bonds.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 09-22-2013, 11:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to lovespink88
I feel like every time I look at the cover of a Cosmo, my IQ drops a few points.
Old 09-22-2013, 12:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to lovespink88
Looks like the GLO is already aware of the situation, per their Facebook page.
Old 09-22-2013, 01:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
We are aware of the article printed in Cosmopolitan Magazine regarding the new member process at Union College. Sigma Delta Tau Sorority does not condone hazing. Our mission of empowering women at both the undergraduate and alumnae level is in the forefront of all sorority activities, and hazing is absolutely against our values and policies. The National Headquarters of Sigma Delta Tau has already begun an investigation into these allegations and will continue to work closely with our undergraduate chapters to ensure adherence to our zero-tolerance policy..
When you decide to GO GREEK
!
Old 09-22-2013, 06:18 PM
GreekChat Member

After reading the article I am reminded of a movie, specifically where the pledges where Ina line blindfolded and a blonde woman dropped an light bulb and then put egg shells in the girls mouth so that the pledges learned to trust the sisters. This is all I really remember about the movie, but what she describes really reminds me of hazing from that and other shows movies portraying greek life.
Of course those could be based on reality, but as others have posted I am shocked about the purpose of righting the article and the use of abbreviations , which I looked up. I almost want to show this to my journalism teacher and she what she has to say about the standards of journalism.