GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,589
0 members and 2,589 guests
No Members online

Old 05-09-2003, 09:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ZTAMich
Question NYC Apt Hunting

OK NYCarea greeks...I need a little info. I know there's at least a few of you here!

I just recently accepted a job to teach in the NYC public school system. I haven't been placed through the program yet but will mostly likely be in the Bronx or Brooklyn teaching at an elem. school (Districts 8,9,10,11,12, 19, 23 & 27 are high need areas this year). I start training with the program June 16th. I will be relocating from college in PA and would like to get settled asap since I have the teachers exams to take on May 31st too.

Since I don't know where I will be teaching yet I'm kinda treading water on picking a place to live, but I would like to find some options. Here's my question...does anyone have any tips on finding an apartment? Know any good resources, etc? I've already started with the Times' real estate section and craigslist too. I'm looking for safe, clean and afforadable, size doesn't really matter, tho if I was sharing with roommates I would like my own room bc of the hours I'll be keeping. Manhattan would be my first choice, but I know rent gets real expensive real fast. I was born and raised on Long Island so I'm not clueless to getting around the city but as far as finding housing I don't know much at all!

Thank you in advance for any help!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-09-2003, 10:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Best and most reasonable places to get would be a rent-controlled apartment, but those are downright impossible to get a lease on; once you get in on one, like hell if you are going to give it up! Manhattan's probably the most expensive, but there are some apartments in Brooklyn and Queens (and even The Bronx) that are not too ridiculous price wise and are not in some crime-infested cesspool.

Another thing to seriously consider is try to select an apartment that is near to a city bus line or a subway station, with minimal walking to/from the station to your apartment.

Automobile insurance is ridiculously expensive in Noo Yawk and parking spots and/or garages can be just as hard to come by. And since the city has a very well-developed mass transit system, it's actually more convenient to take the bus or subway than it is to drive.

Alpha Alpha (University of Oklahoma) Chapter, #814, 1984
Old 05-09-2003, 10:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AlphaSigOU

Automobile insurance is ridiculously expensive in Noo Yawk and parking spots and/or garages can be just as hard to come by. And since the city has a very well-developed mass transit system, it's actually more convenient to take the bus or subway than it is to drive.
ohhh definetly...I don't have a car so if I was going to do anything besides mass transit I would probably see how I do on a bike first besides even trying to drive in NYC! LOL

Thanks for the tips
Old 05-09-2003, 10:40 PM

Now, take this with a grain of salt since I haven't lived in New York City since 1991. But hopefully I can at least begin to steer you in the right direction and NYC-based GreekChatters like XO Kathy and Cream can help you out some more.

Manhattan is definitely the most expensive place to live. A quote that comes to mind came from the director of an internship I did in college: "financial guide books will tell you that your rent should take up no more than 25% of your salary. If you read that in Boston, you'll laugh and if you read that in Manhattan, you'll cry!"

I lived on 67th and First when I first got there, in a 3 bedroom apartment with two roommates. I think the total rent was $2,300 a month.

Once I was established in my field, though, I wanted my own place and I ended up in a Brooklyn neighborhood called "Park Slope". I'm not sure if that's near where you'll be teaching, or not, though. It's a pretty quiet neighborhood (or as quiet as living in a city can get) where everything I needed was within walking distance. I had a nice, albeit old, one bedroom on the third floor of a brownstone and I believe I paid $925 a month for it.

Some of my co-workers lived in Brooklyn Heights, which is a similar, middle class sort of neighborhood. I recall that the rents were in the same ballpark as mine.

As for as finding an apartment, I was exceptionally lucky both times. Two friends of mine who had just graduated from Columbia needed a third so I just moved right on in. With my own apartment, a woman I worked with had accepted a job in Atlanta so I sublet it from her.

I know a lot of people use brokers, but they charge a percentage of the total rent on the lease and that can really add up.

Will you be staying on L.I. until you find a place? If so, I'm sure once you get to know people you can get some leads on a good place to live. Seems like a large number of apartments are found through word-of-mouth.

Also, does NYC Teaching Fellows offer any housing assistance?

Sorry this is so fragmented! I'm just tired tonight. Best of luck with your housing search! I really admire the job choice you made!
Old 05-10-2003, 12:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Peaches-n-Cream
Here are some websites to check out: http://citi-habitats.com/ & http://www.ny.com/realestate/links.html

Average rent on a studio apartment in Manhattan is $1200. A two bedroom in Queens is about that much. Rents have skyrocked in all of New York in the past five years. It really is crazy.

KillarneyRose, I met someone who lived in a studio apartment in a brownstone near your Manhattan apartment. The rent was $1350 two years ago.

Good luck! Welcome back to NY!
Old 05-10-2003, 03:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank you KillarneyRose and Cream for your personal stories and little words of wisdom. I heard Park Slope was a good place, so I will definetly look into that now that more than one person has suggested it. The only reservation I have with that is that is the commute to the Bronx if I am placed there. I don't know anything about the bus system so I'll have to check that out. But it would work if I was placed in Brooklyn. I wish they had told me in my acceptance letter! I will be getting some suggestions from the program for housing but I don't know when those will come. I called them up this week, was sent to voice mail which was too full to leave a msg and my email has yet to be responded to

and yay for my 400th post!
Old 05-10-2003, 03:54 PM
GreekChat Member

That info helped me out a lot too! I'm going to be in Manhattan for school...hopefully I will get campus housing, but if I don't, the U. has agreed to help me find a place. But I'm still looking...just in case!

Park Slope is really nice. My uncle lives there, and a lot of kids I go to school with are from Brooklyn. It's just too far from Morningside for me.
Old 05-10-2003, 04:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Lightbulb

I just thought of something. NYU rents out their dorms for the summertime. It is less expensive than normal rent. Plus it is a short time commitment. You could live there while you look for a place more permanent. NYU is located in a really fun neighborhood which is definitely an advantage.

I'm not sure how to contact them. You can check the residential life section of the NYU website for a telephone number and details.
Old 05-10-2003, 08:05 PM
GreekChat Member

If you end up teaching in the Bronx, look into apartments in or around riverdale. It could be a better commute to work and is not a bad subway ride into manhattan.
Old 05-10-2003, 08:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by italianaxo
If you end up teaching in the Bronx, look into apartments in or around riverdale. It could be a better commute to work and is not a bad subway ride into manhattan.

how's Riverdale as far as safety goes? Sounds good from what you said so far and the times lists some affordable apts there too.
Old 05-10-2003, 08:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Riverdale is a very nice neighborhood in the Bronx. From what I have seen, it is like the suburbs.
Old 05-10-2003, 08:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Cream
Riverdale is a very nice neighborhood in the Bronx. From what I have seen, it is like the suburbs.
like the ring to that...fazabulous...thanks!
Old 06-04-2003, 02:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Just wanted to thank ya'll for your help. I'm settled now in an apt in the East Elmhurst/Jackson Heights section of Queens. I ended up finding it in a church classified section. Thanks for all the advice...yay I'm back to being a New Yorker!
Old 06-04-2003, 03:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by ZTAMich
Just wanted to thank ya'll for your help. I'm settled now in an apt in the East Elmhurst/Jackson Heights section of Queens. I ended up finding it in a church classified section. Thanks for all the advice...yay I'm back to being a New Yorker!
Welcome back to NEW YORK!!!!