GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,122
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, haledarkz870
» Online Users: 1,420
2 members and 1,418 guests
LaneSig, TLLK

Old 07-12-2010, 02:51 AM
GreekChat Member

No Title??

I just wanted to take the time to explain something to what seems to be a vast majority of Northern posters. I have lived in Alabama all of my life and can give you the opinion we have of the North. We tend to think you the North is educated and everyone goes to school. Even the wealthiest person in the South doesn't wear Louboutins to go to the Winn-Dixie as a person in New York might. We are still very rural!! Until recently I thought everyone went to college and were Greek. You would know not how many of my siblings' parents are not educated. I am sure the North is holds on to name importance and such but you are far more numerous than the South's average town. We hold importance on the "oldest family" and other distictions. You would be suprised how many people at my school, which isn't small, has connections to my family and yet are from all over the state. People know each other in the South so you might think the poster is bratty or prideful but it isn't. It really is an accomplishment to be Greek or to go to college in the South. We also network way more than the North I believe. Things really are about my granddaddy knows your granddaddy. I just want some of you to think about your comments before you get all over a poster talking about being a legacy and the way they grew up. Your family name is still very important in the South and while the North might see Greek life as just a side activity it is still very key in establishing yourself in the South. Also, to the networking comment the South really works off of making connections to each other. People like to find out if they were in the same sorority as your Mother and that you both know so and so. It is just something that the South makes a precedent over, establishing yourself and who you are. It isn't something I think a Northern person can really understand. You might say we trying to achieve things on our family name and not on who we are but that is just how things are done. Right or wrong, I would never have not made sure to inform everyone of my family connection to the school. If I had just come in as an anonymous person I might have been cut from a house. I am confident that I was invited back for being myself but also making known my families long attendance of the school and other things we have done. It might not have affected me at all but in the South we have been raised to say our family is so and so and etc. Perhaps, just a little less judgement on posters as we do not know them and can easily misunderstand things on the internet.
Old 07-12-2010, 03:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowerpower83 View Post
I just wanted to take the time to explain something to what seems to be a vast majority of Northern posters. I have lived in Alabama all of my life and can give you the opinion we have of the North. We tend to think you the North is educated and everyone goes to school. Even the wealthiest person in the South doesn't wear Louboutins to go to the Winn-Dixie as a person in New York might. We are still very rural!! Until recently I thought everyone went to college and were Greek. You would know not how many of my siblings' parents are not educated. I am sure the North is holds on to name importance and such but you are far more numerous than the South's average town. We hold importance on the "oldest family" and other distictions. You would be suprised how many people at my school, which isn't small, has connections to my family and yet are from all over the state. People know each other in the South so you might think the poster is bratty or prideful but it isn't. It really is an accomplishment to be Greek or to go to college in the South. We also network way more than the North I believe. Things really are about my granddaddy knows your granddaddy. I just want some of you to think about your comments before you get all over a poster talking about being a legacy and the way they grew up. Your family name is still very important in the South and while the North might see Greek life as just a side activity it is still very key in establishing yourself in the South. Also, to the networking comment the South really works off of making connections to each other. People like to find out if they were in the same sorority as your Mother and that you both know so and so. It is just something that the South makes a precedent over, establishing yourself and who you are. It isn't something I think a Northern person can really understand. You might say we trying to achieve things on our family name and not on who we are but that is just how things are done. Right or wrong, I would never have not made sure to inform everyone of my family connection to the school. If I had just come in as an anonymous person I might have been cut from a house. I am confident that I was invited back for being myself but also making known my families long attendance of the school and other things we have done. It might not have affected me at all but in the South we have been raised to say our family is so and so and etc. Perhaps, just a little less judgement on posters as we do not know them and can easily misunderstand things on the internet.
So you're asking people not to stereotype your geographical area while stereotyping them in turn? Hmmm...
Old 07-12-2010, 03:05 AM
GreekChat Member

What's a Louboutin and why am I wearing it to a grocery store that doesn't exist here?
Old 07-12-2010, 03:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to preciousjeni
I lived in Georgia all my life until I moved to New York a few years ago. Should I put some Louboutins on my granddaddy and take him to Winn Dixie?

Talented, tested, tenacious, and true...
A woman of diversity through and through.
Old 07-12-2010, 03:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drolefille View Post
What's a Louboutin and why am I wearing it to a grocery store that doesn't exist here?
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Louboutin

"It is a truism that as long as man loves but himself and his art he can never attain to the full measure of manhood or reach the sublimest heights of his art. He must seek to love men as brothers and art, not for the sake of art itself, but art as a means toward bringing all men up to that verdant plateau where their souls may be fed in very rejoicing in all that is true, beautiful, and abiding." - Percy Jewett Burrell
Old 07-12-2010, 03:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crusse10 View Post
My point

your head

/appreciate the thought though.
Old 07-12-2010, 03:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
My point

your head

/appreciate the thought though.
Not at all, actually. I was right there with you. Hence the tongue sticking out...Going along with it.

Apparently I should have added sarcasm tags to the post...
"It is a truism that as long as man loves but himself and his art he can never attain to the full measure of manhood or reach the sublimest heights of his art. He must seek to love men as brothers and art, not for the sake of art itself, but art as a means toward bringing all men up to that verdant plateau where their souls may be fed in very rejoicing in all that is true, beautiful, and abiding." - Percy Jewett Burrell

Last edited by crusse10; 07-12-2010 at 03:52 AM.
Old 07-12-2010, 08:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
You would know not how many of my siblings' parents are not educated.
I can't believe no one else caught this...
Old 07-12-2010, 08:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by angels&angles View Post
I had checked out long before that!

But, very funny. Great catch!
Old 07-12-2010, 09:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Oh shut up! I've lived in AL 98% of my life and you're embarrassing me with your stereotyping.
Old 07-12-2010, 10:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Stole from my mouth...

Quote:
Originally Posted by angels&angles View Post
Is caught it, re-read it a few times and realized she means the fellow Greeks .. since they are all Greek, they are siblings, apparently.

ETA: No, I'm giving the troll too much credit. She's not referring to fellow Greeks. nm..
Old 07-12-2010, 10:26 AM
GreekChat Member

I love Louboutins but don't own any, nor would I ever wear them specifically for the purpose of going to the grocery store.
Old 07-12-2010, 10:35 AM
Banned

Anyone have a pair of dueling banjos I can borrow?
Old 07-12-2010, 10:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbie's_Rush View Post
Just ask anyone from the South.

We'll take a break from watchin them talkin pictures and gladly oblige *bows*

Old 07-12-2010, 10:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbie's_Rush View Post
Stop! you took the thought right out of my head. You've just made my Monday. Keep it up, you're on a roll.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity