GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Alumnae Initiation

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,664
2 members and 1,662 guests
flamboyanttree, gatordeltapgh
Closed Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 11:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Question I Don't Get AI

Like I know what it is and I understand in the rare cases where it's a woman who has done exceptional things for an organization.

What I don't understand is the desire for post-collegiate women to join an organization whose foundation starts in college. Maybe I just don't know enough because I'm still active and in college but part of me feels like alumni life is more volunteering at chapters, advising and such. Things that seem like it would help to have gone through active collegiate membership.

I guess my ultimate thought is there are so many other ways to volunteer if that's what you're looking for why AI.
Old 09-09-2009, 12:23 AM

You're not the only one. It wasn't something I knew alot about until I came to GC.

I'm of the general opinion that AI is not the solution for not having joined in college, because as you have said collegiate and alumnae membership are very different.

However one may feel about AI, I think anyone who is interested in joining a sorority post-college should realize that the 2 are not the same and those who are seeking the collegiate sorority experience are likely to be disappointed.

AI is a hot button topic here on these boards, so you may have opened a large-ish can of worms.

Duck and cover.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 09-09-2009 at 06:13 PM.
Old 09-09-2009, 12:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to dreamseeker
i thought that ppl who were interested in AI were mistakenly thinking it was a good substitute?
Old 09-09-2009, 06:10 AM
GreekChat Member

AI will never be a subsitiute! How can it be?

Let the AI seekers think that and because they do - it will never matter what they read here. They are not the people needed for AI! That is why it is up to orgs to be ever so selective in the AI process.

I think what we need to do is encourage all of the young ladies presently in orgs and also alums to keep on the mentality that membership does not end when you graduate. If we do that the topic of AI will probably vanish over time. Maybe programs need to be put into place during membership about retention after graduation and why it is so very important to the future of our orgs.

It is all about numbers of alums, volunteering, and of course money that keeps these organization strong. They can't make it without all of that and just the collegiates can't keep it strong enough. We need to retain "active" members upon graduation on all levels. I believe this is why AI has come into play these days. (Just my opinion)

So, IMO, if we do better and support more in numbers on all levels I do not feel we would need AI.

I mean take a moment to google for an alum group near you that can help future PNMs out. If you can't find one easily or there isn't one near you we need to step it up. If you seek a group out and they don't contact you back something is really wrong. We all need to do what we can and gather other amazing women to carry on the greatness of the orgs. Ask yourself how many sisters in your house your four years of college are really involved in the org now? This creates a picture of how much support an org may have nationwide. I know orgs need post collegiate help and they need funds. This is the key to stay strong and it opens the door for AI.

Last edited by baci; 09-09-2009 at 06:29 AM.
Old 09-09-2009, 07:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanners52674 View Post
Like I know what it is and I understand in the rare cases where it's a woman who has done exceptional things for an organization.

What I don't understand is the desire for post-collegiate women to join an organization whose foundation starts in college. Maybe I just don't know enough because I'm still active and in college but part of me feels like alumni life is more volunteering at chapters, advising and such. Things that seem like it would help to have gone through active collegiate membership.

I guess my ultimate thought is there are so many other ways to volunteer if that's what you're looking for why AI.
I disagree about the majority of alumnae activity centering around volunteering for collegiate chapters. I think more women are members of their alumnae chapters than are members of their local collegiate advisory panels. That's just all you see as a collegiate member.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 09-09-2009, 10:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Where stately oaks and broad magnolias shade inspiring halls
Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII Angel View Post
I disagree about the majority of alumnae activity centering around volunteering for collegiate chapters. I think more women are members of their alumnae chapters than are members of their local collegiate advisory panels. That's just all you see as a collegiate member.
I agree with that. It is a completely different world then collegiate membership. We don't have an active collegiate chapter in our city and the one that we adopted is at least 4 hours away. That collegiate chapter does have an advisory board and certainly none of those women are members of our alumnae chapter. Alumnae Chapters have activities and goals to meet the needs of their members. If it involves being more hands on with a collegiate chapter, fine. If it involves minimal involvement with a collegiate chapter, fine.

So, no, AI is not a vehicle to try and relive old college days. However, it can be a way for a member to reach out to that "sister without a badge" who shares the organization's values, ideals, and goals. I would never advocate throwing out a sign-up sheet in front of Wal-Mart, but if it is a woman who has demonstrated her faithfulness, it can be a great thing. One of AOII's International Presidents is an AI and we do have many more who have faithfully served the Fraternity and still do. Are they overflowing our ranks? Nope and never will. It is a special honor for a select few.
Old 09-10-2009, 01:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII Angel View Post
Thank you! My thought exactly. Only a couple of the women in my alumane chapter help out a collegiate chapter.
Old 09-10-2009, 08:05 AM
GreekChat Member

And there are many alumnae chapters in cities where there isn't a collegiate chapter nearby.
Old 05-09-2010, 06:30 PM
GreekChat Member

AI Gamma Phi Beta

I am an alumna initiate of Gamma Phi Beta. I did not have the opportunity to join a sorority in school. I worked my way through college going to a community college and then taking classes at night, weekends, and online for my Bachelors and my Masters. I found Gamma Phi Beta through a resume of an applicant. I identified with the ideals of the organization and joined as an alumna. I have been very active and have helped out with three college initiations and now I am AVP of my chapter. I am not trying to gain an experience of those who joined in college. But I think Gamma Phi is a wonderful organization with amazing women as members and I wanted to be part of an organization. I have enjoyed my time with Gamma Phi and wish that I could have joined when I was in college. I encourage all sisters to be active in their alumnae chapters. We are very active in supporting local charities as well as Camp Fire USA and help support two local colleges as well. Just my thoughts.
Old 09-09-2009, 08:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Alumnae initiation is SO DIFFERENT for every NPC organization.

It's funny to me that we excuse ourselves for lane swerves on nearly every other topic, but when it comes to AI, many GreekChatters often assert themselves with authority on what AI is and is not, and try to speak on behalf of every org in the NPC.

For some orgs, AI is honorary membership. For others, it is not. For some it's rare, and for others, you can start seeing movements toward a more formalized AI program that might one day look more like NPHC alumnae intake.

Nanners, what I'm saying is you should ask real-life people in your own sorority because there are so many different reasons for and approaches to AI that most people on GC ignore when it comes to providing their opinions on the topic.
Old 09-09-2009, 10:13 AM
GreekChat Member

My mother is an AI of AOII. To me AI has a different meaning. Do I think every person who wasn't in a sorority in college should do this, of course not. But for my mom it was special since both of her daughters are AOIIs. She wasn't in a sorority at LSU. She helped with recruitment at Ole Miss for 5years as a mother's club member. She attended her first Convention event this summer too. So, I think it's a case by case situation.
Old 09-09-2009, 01:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleMissGlitter View Post
My mother is an AI of AOII. To me AI has a different meaning. Do I think every person who wasn't in a sorority in college should do this, of course not. But for my mom it was special since both of her daughters are AOIIs. She wasn't in a sorority at LSU. She helped with recruitment at Ole Miss for 5years as a mother's club member. She attended her first Convention event this summer too. So, I think it's a case by case situation.
Personally, I think that is the perfect situation to do AI. Yea for your mom.
Old 09-09-2009, 02:00 PM
GreekChat Member

This is the kind of situation where AI makes sense, but unfortunately it seems that many women interested in it are after a social life type of involvement. I think when people say it's only done in rare scenarios (like a mother with 2 daughters in the same house) that we mean it's difficult. It's not that it's difficult; there's just so little point if you're not directly tied to a sorority in some real way. A once per month hour long meeting with women who could be 40 years older or younger than you pretty much loses the point if you don't have the collegiate background to draw from. Using your Mom as the example, would she have any interest in doing this if not for you?

I had typed up a whole theoretical scenario that turns out pretty similar to your Mom's when my computer crashed and I lost it. Real is better than theoretical anyway.

The thing is it's so hard to explain what alumna membership is because it does vary a great deal around the country and from GLO to GLO. But I don't think there are any that are going to fill the void of wishing you were in a collegiate chapter.
Old 09-09-2009, 03:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
Using your Mom as the example, would she have any interest in doing this if not for you?

I had typed up a whole theoretical scenario that turns out pretty similar to your Mom's when my computer crashed and I lost it. Real is better than theoretical anyway.

The thing is it's so hard to explain what alumna membership is because it does vary a great deal around the country and from GLO to GLO. But I don't think there are any that are going to fill the void of wishing you were in a collegiate chapter.
I don't think my mom would have joined any NPC group via AI without some type of personal connection. She does have friends in other NPC groups but since she has a different type of connection with them (lifelong childhood friends) I don't think that is something that ever came up in their conversations. For my mother it was not a way to "redo" her college years in any way. It was a way for her to experience AOII on a different level from just serving punch and cookies during recruitment. Her continued support of AOII through me and my sister allowed her to want a deeper connection. Plus, it's something the 3 of us share together. It was a wonderful experience to have my sister, my mother, and me altogether at AOII Convention this year. It allowed them to see AOII on a bigger picture. Plus, as an international volunteer for AOII they can see how much it all means to me. (Must have rubbed off my sister is a new adviser for her local collegiate chapter down in FL!)

I would also like to share another example. When I was a collegian our financial adviser was a local CPA and Accounting professor on campus. She had been helping the chapter and tutoring members as well. She had gone to a small private college where there was no Greek Life. We alumna initiated her since her hours of service and her dedication to the chapter were outstanding. She was overwhelmed with joy and accepted the invitation.

So, I think the best point of all of this is it is a case by case situation. There are some outstanding alumnae initiates in my own sorority and they have really done wonderful things for AOII whether on the local level or international level.
Old 09-09-2009, 01:54 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleMissGlitter View Post
Perfect example!

Again, it's a case to case situation. Our Housemother (who was gone before I pledged) was initiated after years of service, and I'm sure she wasn't an exemption to the rule.
Closed Thread