GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Delta > Delta Sigma Theta

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,335
1 members and 1,334 guests
Cookiez17

Old 08-22-2005, 07:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs down Tyson Chicken Sued for Maintaining Segregated Work Areas

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
August 18, 2005

Nicole Desario
Lawyers' Committee for Civil Rights Under Law
(202) 662-8303
ndesario@lawyerscommittee.org
www.lawyerscommittee.org

TYSON FOODS SUED FOR MAINTAINING SEGREGATED WORK AREAS

Whites Only Sign and Padlock Placed on Bathroom Door

Ashland, AL (BlackNews.com) - A lawsuit alleges that Tyson Foods, Inc. is responsible for maintaining a segregated bathroom and break room, reminiscent of the Jim Crow era, in its Ashland, Alabama chicken processing plant.

Thirteen African-American employees filed a complaint in the United States District Court for the Northern District of Alabama late last week, alleging that a Whites Only sign and a padlock denied them access to a bathroom in the Ashland plant. The complaint states that numerous white employees had keys to the bathroom that were not provided to African-American workers.

The African-American employees' complaint also alleges that, after they complained about the segregated bathroom, the plant manager told them that the bathroom had been locked because they were dirty and announced the closing of the break room. According to the complaint, the same white employees who had keys to the "Whites Only" bathroom formed their own, private break room, using Tyson materials to construct the furniture. Initially, a locked door segregated the private break room. To the present day, locked cabinets and a locked refrigerator maintain a private break room.

"When I was young, my mother used to tell me stories about segregated bathrooms," said Henry Adams, a plaintiff in this case. "I never thought that her reality of seventy-one years ago would become my reality today."

The lawsuit claims that Tyson violated federal civil rights laws, Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and 42 U.S.C. 1981, by maintaining a racially hostile work environment and by retaliating against employees who complained. In addition to the segregated facilities, plaintiffs claim harassment in the form of racial slurs and intimidation.

The lawsuit also alleges that Tyson's conduct violates Alabama law because it constitutes negligent supervision and outrageous conduct.

Plaintiff's complaint dovetails with a complaint the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) filed on August 11, 2005, against Tyson in the Northern District of Alabama. The thirteen employees in this lawsuit, including the two individuals that filed the EEOC charges, seek to intervene in the EEOC action.

Plaintiffs are represented by a team comprised of attorneys from the Lawyers Committee for Civil Rights Under Law, in Washington, D.C.; Shearman & Sterling LLP, in New York City; Nakamura Quinn & Walls LLP, in Birmingham; and Lightfoot Franklin & White, L.L.C., also in Birmingham. The Lawyers' Committee is a national, not-for-profit organization, which specializes in civil rights litigation. Plaintiffs request that any contact from the press be directed to their counsel.

www.lawyerscommittee.org
Old 08-22-2005, 08:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to RACooper
Angry

I hope these guys get nailed to the wall - for their ignorance in perpetuating/resurrecting such a disgusting practice and attitude

"Cave ab homine unius libri"
Old 08-22-2005, 11:20 PM
GreekChat Member

What year is this?????
Reaffirmed: Glen Ellyn Area Alumnae
All in the MIGHTY MIDWEST REGION!
Old 08-23-2005, 07:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to kiml122
Quote:
Originally posted by ladygreek
What year is this?????
I know right....I'm like damn in the year 2005, and it's still happening...

Be Breezy - Calvin from "House of Payne"
Old 08-23-2005, 08:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to mulattogyrl Send a message via Yahoo to mulattogyrl
Angry

This is outrageous. I almost can't believe it.

It's a jungle out there.