GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek History

Greek History Fraternity and Sorority historical discussions. Chat about all topics related to Greek history here.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,393
0 members and 1,393 guests
No Members online

Old 05-07-2014, 12:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Question First Women's Fraternity?

I'm curious. Now that we have the internet and ability to research archives from a distance, does anyone know which GLO was the First Fraternity for women? This post sparked my interest: http://womensfraternities.blogspot.c...rnity.html?m=1

Also there was a thread on here in 2003 where a member of a local claimed they were the first fraternity for women. It was Phi Nu I think? At MacMurray College?
Old 05-07-2014, 01:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Bound By a Mighty Vow is a good source of information on early history.

Theta was the first women's group to use Greek letters (January 1870) followed closely by Kappa (in October 1870). Not sure about counting a literary society which later became a social sorority as being "first".

IMHO, I think this whole "first" thing is kind of silly and has been argued ad infinitum and beaten to death. I think of ADPi and Phi Mu as being "first" even if they didn't use Greek letters. And in the big picture, what difference does it make? Besides I wish we had those big badges (like the Adelphean badge,the Kappa key and Theta kite that were so huge you couldn't miss them).
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 05-07-2014, 08:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Yeah, it REALLY depends on how you want to frame the argument/discussion. There's no question that Phi Mu & ADPi have existed the longest, but they were formed as literary societies, not women's fraternities. Pi Phi was the first to be formed specifically as a women's fraternity. Theta & Kappa were the first to use the Greek letters, Gamma Phi (I think?) was the first to use the term "sorority."
Old 05-07-2014, 11:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by angels&angles View Post
Yeah, it REALLY depends on how you want to frame the argument/discussion. There's no question that Phi Mu & ADPi have existed the longest, but they were formed as literary societies, not women's fraternities. Pi Phi was the first to be formed specifically as a women's fraternity. Theta & Kappa were the first to use the Greek letters, Gamma Phi (I think?) was the first to use the term "sorority."
Secret society =/= fraternity.
Old 05-07-2014, 11:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetalady View Post
Secret society =/= fraternity.
Hmmm, I'm not sure what you're taking issue with here (if anything?). Phi Mu & ADPi never claimed to be women's fraternities when they started, and only became that later. Pi Phi was specifically founded as a women's alternative to men's fraternities. In my mind that makes them (us) the "first" but not, as noted above, the oldest, since both Phi Mu & ADPi have existed longer. If you're correcting me on my definitions for Theta, Kappa, or Gamma Phi, then I defer to you as I know less about their foundings.
Old 05-07-2014, 11:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Gamma Phi Beta - first sorority (?)

I think the "first" thing is silly, too. That said . . .

Gamma Phi Beta was the first of the NPC sororities to use the word "sorority" in referring to itself, although not from the very beginning. To quote from our history:

After the installation of Beta Chapter at the University of Michigan in 1882, Syracuse faculty member Dr. Frank Smalley coined the word "sorority" especially for Gamma Phi Beta. It has been used ever since.

It was Professor Frank Smalley who coined the term 'sorority' for Gamma Phi Beta. "Translate 'fraternity' into its real English equivalent of brotherhood and think how that sounds when applied to a society of women. Why then should the exact Latin equivalent be regularly so used?"

"The word 'sorority' or 'sisterhood,' moreover, is precise and definite and means exactly what we wish to denote when speaking of a society composed wholly of women."

Last edited by SWTXBelle; 05-07-2014 at 04:00 PM.
Old 05-07-2014, 12:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by angels&angles View Post
Hmmm, I'm not sure what you're taking issue with here (if anything?). Phi Mu & ADPi never claimed to be women's fraternities when they started, and only became that later. Pi Phi was specifically founded as a women's alternative to men's fraternities. In my mind that makes them (us) the "first" but not, as noted above, the oldest, since both Phi Mu & ADPi have existed longer. If you're correcting me on my definitions for Theta, Kappa, or Gamma Phi, then I defer to you as I know less about their foundings.
I take issue with your statement that "Pi Phi was the first to be formed specifically as a women's fraternity. " That is not accurate. Pi Phi was established as a secret society for women. That is not the same as a fraternity.

Having said that, I don't understand the point of this thread. Many organizations have the right to claim "first" in important aspects of our histories.
Old 05-07-2014, 12:44 PM
GreekChat Member

I immediately pulled out the popcorn when I saw the title of this thread. Thankfully I don't have a dog in this hunt. Alpha Xi Delta is indeed a fraternity, but I know for sure we aren't first in anything related to this thread since we were initially intended to be a chapter of Kappa. I think the only safe statement to make on this issue is Gamma Phi is first to be called a sorority and any older than Gamma Phi were/are fraternities. From then on, you pull out the gloves to argue your point. And then only if you have time on your hands and maybe hating your boss today and needing to take it out on strangers
Old 05-07-2014, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
Alpha Xi Delta is indeed a fraternity, but I know for sure we aren't first in anything related to this thread since we were initially intended to be a chapter of Kappa.
I didn't know that! How interesting!!
Old 05-07-2014, 01:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
I immediately pulled out the popcorn when I saw the title of this thread.
I'm sorry, but I got the popcorn out first.

Last edited by amIblue?; 05-07-2014 at 01:24 PM.
Old 05-07-2014, 01:27 PM
GreekChat Member

I will KILL you for saying that!

And regarding the Kappa tie in, we added the gold to the colors (although I think the tone of the colors have become dissimilar over time) and a similar badge style. Whether any of our secrets are similar, I have no idea.

Last edited by DubaiSis; 05-07-2014 at 01:31 PM.
Old 05-07-2014, 01:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Let's let it go. It's dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb. Call me anything, as long as you don't call me late for dinner.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 05-07-2014, 01:46 PM
GreekChat Member

I am actually more interested in finding the year that women started to form their own social organizations either Greek or literary. Like how the Theta founder wanted to be initiated into a fraternity for men but they instead asked her to be their mascot. I think it's AMAZING that instead she formed her own fraternity for women.

I'm wondering if this happened with others and lead to the founding of a local organization that is less known due to its local status. Or that it is defunct.

Who came first is not really an issue. All that matters is we are here now. My curiosity is in the year that women started to pioneer this. It could forever be a mystery but I'm wondering if others jave stumbled across any info in their research.
Old 05-07-2014, 01:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Well then it sounds like Phi Mu and ADII are probably what you're after. Mid 19th century in round numbers, when women started going to college, or about 100 years later than fraternities.

And here's a plug for my alma mater. The University of Iowa was the first to accept women and men on an equal basis, at its founding in the mid 19th century. It should come as no surprise there are so many single letter chapters there.
Old 05-07-2014, 06:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Last edited by angels&angles; 05-07-2014 at 06:59 PM. Reason: Apparently I posted this twice? Ugh I am a mess today.