GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek History

Greek History Fraternity and Sorority historical discussions. Chat about all topics related to Greek history here.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 1,006
1 members and 1,005 guests
MethrenLusia

Old 05-04-2014, 09:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Chapter Flowers

While doing research for Delta Phi Epsilon I've found that in old yearbooks from 1920-1950 the chapter would say one year the flower is the pansy. Than another year the jonquil. But the iris has been our flower since our founding. I'm told it was chosen by our founders. So why would a chapter have to list another flower? Why not just say the flower is the iris?

I notice they never change the sorority's colors from purple and gold to anything else.

So my question is has anyone else observed this with another glo?

And maybe we didn't have an official flower? I forgot who said the iris was chosen by our founders but I woulf bet that was so.
Old 05-05-2014, 12:33 AM
Super Moderator

When Alpha Delta Pi became a GLO, they used a unicorn as the mascot & top of of the Coat of Arms. Our Washington State chapter has this COA on its fireplace. Obviously, the unicorn was changed to a lion.

Sisters, please correct me, but wasn't there a time when a dragon was used?
Old 05-05-2014, 06:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pas View Post
While doing research for Delta Phi Epsilon I've found that in old yearbooks from 1920-1950 the chapter would say one year the flower is the pansy. Than another year the jonquil. But the iris has been our flower since our founding. I'm told it was chosen by our founders. So why would a chapter have to list another flower? Why not just say the flower is the iris?

I notice they never change the sorority's colors from purple and gold to anything else.

So my question is has anyone else observed this with another glo?

And maybe we didn't have an official flower? I forgot who said the iris was chosen by our founders but I would bet that was so.
I've know chapters of various GLOs (fraternities and sororities) that have adapted their own symbols, mascots etc. These are different from (but in addition to) the symbols etc. of their organization. As such, could the pansy and the jonquil have been the "local chapter's" flower and the iris the "national" flower?
Old 05-05-2014, 11:05 PM
GreekChat Member

I just asked this flower question to some sisters and one said she heard our flower was the pansy but when DPhiE became an NPC member they changed the flower to the iris...but this goes against what the membership manual says since it states the founders chose the iris...so maybe there were just chapter and national flowers?

And that's so interesting about ADPi...I wonder why they changed the COA. I'm biased towards unicorns.
Old 05-06-2014, 10:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pas View Post
I just asked this flower question to some sisters and one said she heard our flower was the pansy but when DPhiE became an NPC member they changed the flower to the iris...but this goes against what the membership manual says since it states the founders chose the iris...so maybe there were just chapter and national flowers?

And that's so interesting about ADPi...I wonder why they changed the COA. I'm biased towards unicorns.
When Delta Phi Epsilon joined NPC in 1951, were some of your founders still alive on that date who then chose a new flower symbol for their beloved fraternity? If so, the fact remains your founders chose the flower.

It's only words, and words are all I have to take your heart away.

Last edited by Cheerio; 05-06-2014 at 01:27 PM.