GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,256
2 members and 1,254 guests
JayhawkAOII

Old 07-17-2002, 05:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Words of caution...

I worked at the Assistant to the Director of Greek Affairs at my school and I am VERY familiar with the people over at MTV. They kept calling me because they wanted to come in and tape our sorority recruitment activities and follow a PNM through the week. I had to firmly tell them no and still they came onto campus and started contacting individual houses.

Basically, I got the feeling that the people I was talking with were uniterested in portraying Greek Life as it is in reality. Obviously they wanted to create a show that would prey on that stereotype, as seen in their twisted truth with the Sigmas.

They tried to gain sorority support with emails (I know this because I was chapter president at the same time) that said things like 'Do you like to party? Do you like frat guys? MTV would like to tell your story!'. It gave me a really bad feeling.

Just some things to be aware of as your chapter decides if this is something you really want to do - just keep in mind that dramatic interpretation sells - Hell, look at the Real World??? Not so real to me......

Love & AOE from the Pacific Coast
Old 07-17-2002, 06:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Make sure you have lawyers on your side and that the university/college is okay with it.
Old 07-18-2002, 01:05 AM
GreekChat Member

What do you hope to get out of doing it? Be prepared to expect new lows from the producers, if you do do it. If you think they've gone as low as they can, think again.
Old 07-18-2002, 11:00 AM
GreekChat Member

They contacted our sorority yesterday. I told the President of my sorority to ""RUN AS FAST AS YOU CAN!!"
Old 07-18-2002, 03:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Zuma
What do you hope to get out of doing it? Be prepared to expect new lows from the producers, if you do do it. If you think they've gone as low as they can, think again.
That's a great point - what is there to gain by doing this? Air time on TV?
It seems like the end result would just be broken friendships and a bad reputation.

CIAO
Old 07-18-2002, 03:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to SigmaChiCard Send a message via Skype™ to SigmaChiCard
And a bunch of people like us talking about what a bitch you are and how bad your hair looks.....and a bunch of pledges who lose sight of the ultimate purpose, which is not just to get in...

Visit: BackSeat SandBar & MySpace
Old 07-19-2002, 10:11 AM
GreekChat Member

I was visiting New York this past weekend and some girls I met that are in a local said that the shows producers contacted them saying that they have been watching the sororities website and wanted to talk to them. From the way these girls were talking about it, I don't think that they thought it was a bad idea. I just wish I could find the website that they have! Anyone heard of Phi Kappa Pi?
Old 07-19-2002, 11:22 AM

I said this was a bad idea when the original threads started a year or more ago. I said it was a bad idea when the threads about SAEPi started. It's still a bad idea.

The present show proves it. Or do you think that's the ways Greek Life really is. If so, heaven help us.

MTV will portray anyone anyway it wants -- good or bad. This is a "lose/lose" situation for any chapter who gets involved.
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.
Old 07-19-2002, 11:22 AM
GreekChat Member

I guess they contacted my sorority again and asked our webmaster to put our photo page back online so they could look at it (it is being updated right now). Our President is trying to get back to them to tell them that we are not interested! I enjoy watching the show now but I don't want to see my sorority as the subject of it!