GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,138
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, KristyClif
» Online Users: 841
2 members and 839 guests
KristyClif, LaneSig

Old 10-31-2011, 03:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Percent OOS students for different schools

Someone asked about this a while back and we found websites with conflicting information. Here is a VERY comprehensive report on the number of out of state freshmen enrolled for 2010 for all kinds of schools.

http://chronicle.com/article/Interac...9547#id=100751
Old 10-31-2011, 07:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
I was really shocked to see that Illinois is still about 90% in-state. I really thought that had changed over the years.
Old 10-31-2011, 08:06 PM
GreekChat Member

I was also pretty surprised to see that 95.5% of the freshmen at UF are in-state.

It was pretty funny to see the high number of Texas kids going to OU, but the trend didn't hold for Oklahoma kids going to Texas.
Old 10-31-2011, 08:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchkin03 View Post
It was pretty funny to see the high number of Texas kids going to OU, but the trend didn't hold for Oklahoma kids going to Texas.
No, the trend doesn't hold at all!

However, there are probably more people in the DFW area that in all of Oklahoma so just the numbers game will skew that stat alot.

In addition, it is darn near impossible for out of staters to get into UT with the Top 10% rule. Conversely, many Texas students have no trouble getting into OU.

But the stat is funny on the surface.
Old 10-31-2011, 11:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie93 View Post
No, the trend doesn't hold at all!

However, there are probably more people in the DFW area that in all of Oklahoma so just the numbers game will skew that stat alot.

In addition, it is darn near impossible for out of staters to get into UT with the Top 10% rule. Conversely, many Texas students have no trouble getting into OU.

But the stat is funny on the surface.
Let's be honest. Skew it however you want, this mostly proves that OK > TX. PERIOD. (This from a native and current Okie who went far, far away for college.)
Old 11-01-2011, 09:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by angels&angles View Post
Let's be honest. Skew it however you want, this mostly proves that OK > TX. PERIOD. (This from a native and current Okie who went far, far away for college.)
As a mother of an OU freshman (son) from DFW, I can tell you what went into his decision aside from academics. Proximity - OU is only 2.5 hours from our home. Size - OU is smaller than the major state universities in TX. Campus - Don't take your student to visit if you don't want them to enroll. The campus is beautiful, a manageable size, the dorms are clean and inviting, and Sooner pride is evident all over campus. Sports - Do I really need to say anything here! Greek System - the OU Greek System is STRONG with some of the most beautiful Greek housing I've ever seen. The sorority houses compare to 5-star hotels. I've toured two kids through schools across the country and OU stands out. Boomer Sooner!
Old 10-31-2011, 09:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Our OOS keeps going up. I guess in one way it surprises me since the number of OOS students at UO is considerably higher than at the other state schools near us (WSU, OSU and UW). On the other hand I think a lot of that has to do with being the first school up I-5 and north of the California border. Most of our OOS are Cali kids.

Last edited by AXOmom; 11-01-2011 at 01:34 AM.
Old 10-31-2011, 11:44 PM

Still mostly Ohio (no surprise as we are the largest university in NE OH.) We're getting students more from PA every year because I believe we give in-state tuition to PA kids.

Lakers Nation.
Old 11-01-2011, 01:15 AM
GreekChat Member

At Iowa U, I was surprised to see more Iowa kids than Illinois kids, although it was close. But there's a very good little school in Iowa called Grinnell College, that had an almost even split between Iowa, Illinois and California. How weird is that? But this little school had almost every state represented. They must actually go out of their way to get geographic diversity.
Old 11-01-2011, 01:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Feels kinda weird going to a commuter school while living on campus ... Having a school like this makes GLO suffer in numbers, but we manage.
Old 11-02-2011, 09:29 AM
GreekChat Member

It is interesting to look at the student body trend at Arkansas. It is pretty clear that the UA is working like crazy to grow their student body and that they are going out of state to do it. Only 61% of 2010 freshman class from Arkansas...lThat trend is also reflected in pledge classes.
Old 11-10-2011, 06:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Private University

University of Southern California is a private research university. I will include it here as it might be of interest to see if there is that much difference between public universities that draw nationally and a private university located in the state with the largest population.

Freshmen class enrolled in fall 2011....

From California
48%

From U.S. high schools/prep schools out of California
38%

From international locations
14%

U.S. students come from these states in order:
California
Texas
Washington
New York
Illinois
Florida
Massachusetts

Percentage of students in NPC/IFC national organizatons:
17%

Percentage of students in Greek organizations, including multicultural and/or ethnic Greek groups:
25%

National Merit Scholars 247
First generation college enrollees 14%
USC legacy students 20%

Students receiving financial aid OR merit aid 83%+