GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,427
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, FlorCundif
» Online Users: 2,449
1 members and 2,448 guests
navane

Old 04-23-2008, 06:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Pledge Pin/Formal Attire requirement?

Does anybody know which fraternity does not require their pledges to wear the PIN at all times. I heard about ZBT but does anyone know any other frats?

What about formal attire (I'm guessing no frats have zero formal attire requirement...but I might be proven wrong)?

I am just asking out of curiousity.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-23-2008, 10:06 PM
GreekChat Member

While it's possible, I doubt that there are many organizations with a national policy like that.

However, on the chapter level, I'm sure that there is probably a fairly sizable number (though still probably a very small %age) that do.

As for a full pledge period with formal attire - that's probably impossible. Too many kids wouldn't stand for it. There were chapters at my alma mater who required formal attire during their I-weeks, but one week is a lot different than several months.

- Abraham Lincoln
Old 04-23-2008, 10:37 PM

If a sorority member may weigh in -

It might be considered hazing. Pledges being required to wear their pledge pins with formal attire while brothers wear jeans and T-shirts... kinda iffy.

My chapter asks new members to wear their pins whenever plausible, meaning, any time you're out in public and not looking like you just fell out of bed or came back from the gym. If you look presentable, wear your ribbon; if you look particularly spiffy, wear your pin.
Old 04-23-2008, 11:37 PM
GreekChat Member

formal attire during the whole pledge period.

The only time they take the pin off is for sports, showering, or sleeping. And for the latter two, they better damn well have the pin in eyesight at all times.
Old 04-24-2008, 01:35 PM
GreekChat Member

I know none who require formal wear and pledge pins as laid back as colleges are today.

Usually it is formal/semi wear for active Badges, but as I said, with the more laid backness it should be eased so members could wear their Badges more often.

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 05-11-2008, 03:10 AM
GreekChat Member

pledge pin at all times except activities that make you sweat, being around alcohol, or sleeping. I don't understand how that can be considered hazing, I mean, you should be proud to wear the pin and represent.

we only did formal attire on a certain day of the week during the whole process. shirt+tie+slacks, that sort of thing. again, I can't see how this is considered hazing because it shows you know how to dress presentable and aren't a total slob.
Old 05-11-2008, 09:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to nate2512
I think the OP is trying to trying to find a fraternity where he'll never have to dress up and wear and his pledge when he feels like, and they probably exist, but doubt they are going to be worth joining.

Suck it up for the pledge period and do what you have to do. If you can't handle it , don't pledge, you aren't cut out for being Greek anyway.

Old 05-11-2008, 04:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Formal on wednesdays and football games (along with a lot of brothers), pledge pins except for sports, drinking, and sex.
Old 05-11-2008, 09:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate2512 View Post
I think the OP is trying to trying to find a fraternity where he'll never have to dress up and wear and his pledge when he feels like, and they probably exist, but doubt they are going to be worth joining.

Suck it up for the pledge period and do what you have to do. If you can't handle it , don't pledge, you aren't cut out for being Greek anyway.
agreed.

if he can't handle wearing the pin or possibly dressing formal once a week (the least of your worries when pledging), he's definitely not cut out for greek life.
Old 05-15-2008, 08:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iodine View Post
Does anybody know which fraternity does not require their pledges to wear the PIN at all times. I heard about ZBT but does anyone know any other frats?

What about formal attire (I'm guessing no frats have zero formal attire requirement...but I might be proved wrong)?

I am just asking out of curiosity.
First of all, IMVHO, it is Fraternity rather than "frat".
I wear, to Fraternity formal events, my pin. And to anything else I wear a lapel pin.

As for pledges, out side of sporting type events, they wore them at all times while in some sort of street cloths.
And if not worn, know where they are.

Last edited by jon1856; 05-15-2008 at 08:31 PM.
Old 05-15-2008, 09:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Before my sorority affiliated with Kappa, we had pledges wear their pins at all times except for the 5 S's.
1 When you're doing something STUPID
2 SEX
3 SHOWER
4 SLEEP
5 SPORTS
Old 05-16-2008, 12:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiGam View Post
Formal on wednesdays and football games (along with a lot of brothers), pledge pins except for sports, drinking, and sex.
This. And they have to wear a collared shirt tucked in with either khakis (or similar pants in navy) (no jeans) or non-cargo, non-denim shorts that didn't come below their knees anytime they were wearing their pin except for special occasions (formal pledge events, shirt and tie every football game, formal all week the week of initiation). We didn't do a weekly formal day though.
Old 05-16-2008, 02:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackerBarrel View Post
This. And they have to wear a collared shirt tucked in with either khakis (or similar pants in navy) (no jeans) or non-cargo, non-denim shorts that didn't come below their knees anytime they were wearing their pin except for special occasions (formal pledge events, shirt and tie every football game, formal all week the week of initiation). We didn't do a weekly formal day though.
Jorts and cargos shouldn't be worn period.

Old 05-16-2008, 02:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate2512 View Post
Jorts and cargos shouldn't be worn period.
That's the idea and generally pledges already know that. Occasionally you'll get a kid from way out in the sticks that was never exposed to the idea that you shouldn't wear them though. Every once in a while there will be a top-class kid from the middle of nowhere who knows how to dress, for instance, when his dad takes him into town to go to the country club, but everyone he's regularly around in his hicktown had jorts/cargos as every day wear. You make that rule and he quickly learns that in actual society you look like a fool in them.
Old 05-16-2008, 02:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackerBarrel View Post
That's the idea and generally pledges already know that. Occasionally you'll get a kid from way out in the sticks that was never exposed to the idea that you shouldn't wear them though. Every once in a while there will be a top-class kid from the middle of nowhere who knows how to dress, for instance, when his dad takes him into town to go to the country club, but everyone he's regularly around in his hicktown had jorts/cargos as every day wear. You make that rule and he quickly learns that in actual society you look like a fool in them.
This is true.