GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Alumnae Initiation
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,556
0 members and 2,556 guests
No Members online

Old 09-22-2014, 02:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Question Curious about AI, but also uncertain

Hi all!

I'm currently a senior at a university who was one of the "boo greek life" kids up until this past spring. It took awhile for me to see that all sororities weren't like the ones dramatized on television, and I got to know some girls in the chapters my school currently has (we have 3). It was really cool to see how involved these girls were and it gave me a fresh look; they are all brilliant young women who are actively seeking to better themselves, their sisters, and give back to the community. I only wish it didn't take me so long and I'm embarrassed for being close-minded, but better late than never?

I was going to pledge spring of my junior year and even went to a few information sessions for the three sororities on my campus. I felt a bond with one of them, but two factors discouraged me from moving forward. It financially wasn't feasible for me at the time (but I might have been able to make it work), but mainly the sisters warned me against attempting since upperclassmen typically do not get bids, at least at my university. Unfortunately, the girls that told me not to bother were from the one sorority I resonated with, and that admittedly made me take a step back and reconsider.

Now that I'm going into my senior year I wish I had a change of heart earlier, but that's water under the bridge at this point. I'm looking for what to do going forward. An advisor on campus sat down to speak with me about what I could do. She recommended that I look into becoming an AI. This advisor is an alum for a sorority not present on my campus, which does accept AIs. I also have friends in another sorority which they've talked to me about. So I guess I'm looking for opinions... I feel like maybe my reasons aren't "acceptable" for looking to become an AI. Do I have to only consider the sororities at my campus, or can I talk more with my friends in Sorority A or more with my adviser in Sorority B to learn more about theirs?

Just as a closing note... I know there are AIs that want to join for the social/collegiate aspect that they missed. I've already gotten that from sports and other clubs. What I want is to find a group that I can totally throw myself into, that has a philanthropy I can relate to and fully support, and that will give me something to actively volunteer in after I graduate.

Last edited by iona; 09-22-2014 at 05:56 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-22-2014, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iona View Post
Hi all!

I'm currently a senior at a university who was one of the "boo greek life" kids up until this past spring. It took awhile for me to see that all sororities weren't like the ones dramatized on television, and I got to know some girls in the chapters my school currently has (we have 3). It was really cool to see how involved these girls were and it gave me a fresh look; they are all brilliant young women who are actively seeking to better themselves, their sisters, and give back to the community. I only wish it didn't take me so long and I'm embarrassed for being close-minded, but better late than never?

I was going to pledge spring of my junior year and even went to a few information sessions for the three sororities on my campus. I felt a bond with one of them, but two factors discouraged me from moving forward. It financially wasn't feasible for me at the time (but I might have been able to make it work), but mainly the sisters warned me against attempting since upperclassmen typically do not get bids, at least at my university. Unfortunately, the girls that told me not to bother were from the one sorority I resonated with, and that admittedly made me take a step back and reconsider.

Now that I'm going into my senior year I wish I had a change of heart earlier, but that's water under the bridge at this point. I'm looking for what to do going forward. An adviser on campus sat down to speak with me about what I could do. She recommended that I look into becoming an AI. This adviser is an alum for a sorority not present on my campus, which does accept AIs. I also have friends in another sorority which they've talked to me about. So I guess I'm looking for opinions... I feel like maybe my reasons aren't "acceptable" for looking to become an AI. Do I have to only consider the sororities at my campus, or can I talk more with my friends in Sorority A or more with my adviser in Sorority B to learn more about theirs?

Just as a closing note... I know there are AIs that want to join for the social/collegiate aspect that they missed. I've already gotten that from sports and other clubs. What I want is to find a group that I can totally throw myself into, that has a philanthropy I can relate to and fully support, and that will give me something to actively volunteer in after I graduate.
Are you not interested in AI for the adviser's group?
Old 09-22-2014, 03:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishpipes View Post
Are you not interested in AI for the adviser's group?
The adviser's sorority is not on my campus, which was my concern as to whether or not I should stick to sororities at my university. I don't know a lot about her sorority, but she offered to sit down again and tell me more about it. She also recommended learning about my friends' sorority that they all love that is also not on my campus.
Old 09-22-2014, 03:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
The adviser's sorority is not on my campus, which was my concern as to whether or not I should stick to sororities at my university. I don't know a lot about her sorority, but she offered to sit down again and tell me more about it. She also recommended learning about my friends' sorority that they all love that is also not on my campus.
I suggest you do both of those things. The people you know IN REAL LIFE will be much more helpful than anyone here on GC.
Old 09-22-2014, 03:12 PM
GreekChat Member

You don't have to be limited to groups on your own campus. If you have someone advocating for you to AI, that would be your best bet. Do some research about her organization and speak more with her about it.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 09-22-2014, 03:35 PM

Quote:
AI has nothing to do with campus life. Even if you AId into a group on your campus, you would not be a member of the collegiate chapter. As stated above, real life connections are your best bet.
Old 09-22-2014, 03:39 PM
GreekChat Member

You'll want to ask your advisor if her organization has an active alumnae chapter in your area. That's what would give you the opportunities to both socialize with members and join in on volunteer/philanthropic work.
Old 09-22-2014, 03:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Do the work on this face-to-face, rather than here on the Internet/GC. That's the best advice I can offer.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 09-22-2014, 05:48 PM

Not sure what your career path is going to be, but if you're going to be (random example) a researcher for the Clinton presidential library, you might not want to pursue AI with a group that has no chapters in Arkansas. I know people move around the country much more than they used to and it might be the case someday that you ARE away from sisters IRL, but starting that way could make things very hard.
Old 09-22-2014, 05:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Not sure what your career path is going to be, but if you're going to be (random example) a researcher for the Clinton presidential library, you might not want to pursue AI with a group that has no chapters in Arkansas. I know people move around the country much more than they used to and it might be the case someday that you ARE away from sisters IRL, but starting that way could make things very hard.
I'm going into financial analysis and will be in the NY/NJ area, so I will look into active chapters around where I'm moving to. I didn't consider that at first, but you make a very good point, so thank you! I don't know if I'm allowed to mention specifically what sororities my advisor and friends belong to (new here) so sorry if my opening post seems very vague.

To everyone else: Thank you, I will follow up with my friends and advisor in-person to learn more about both sororities and what I can bring to the table
Old 09-22-2014, 05:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Also, at least in my group, an AI cannot be eligible for collegiate membership. You may have to wait until you graduate. This is why the women you know will be better able to guide you. Policies vary, and while I know what Alpha Phi states, I have no idea about any other GLO.
Old 09-22-2014, 06:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missouri Ivy View Post
Also, at least in my group, an AI cannot be eligible for collegiate membership. You may have to wait until you graduate. This is why the women you know will be better able to guide you. Policies vary, and while I know what Alpha Phi states, I have no idea about any other GLO.
I believe you are completely correct. I am don't expect any major steps to happen until after I graduate, if any do end up happening. Now is the time for talking and researching. Thanks for the response!
Old 09-22-2014, 06:15 PM

Quote:
I don't know if I'm allowed to mention specifically what sororities my advisor and friends belong to (new here) so sorry if my opening post seems very vague.
No, vague is definitely the way to be in this situation
Old 09-23-2014, 08:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
No, vague is definitely the way to be in this situation
This. Here discretion is the better part of valor. Yes, like the other posters have stated use your Panhellenic resources at your disposal to explore if this is something that might be viable following your graduation. And now is a great time to ask questions about things you're not clear about, or what the alumnae membership experience is like.
Old 09-23-2014, 12:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andthen View Post
This. Here discretion is the better part of valor. Yes, like the other posters have stated use your Panhellenic resources at your disposal to explore if this is something that might be viable following your graduation. And now is a great time to ask questions about things you're not clear about, or what the alumnae membership experience is like.
I'll meet with her sometime next week to learn more. There is an active alumnae chapter near where I'm moving to, so maybe she will have some contacts there for when I graduate. Thanks for the advice!