GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,364
3 members and 1,361 guests
Cookiez17, g41965, JayhawkAOII

Old 12-08-2019, 05:58 PM
GreekChat Member

New pnm who needs advice please!!!

Hi all
I am a PNM who will be participating in formal recruitment this January. I am extremely anxious and nervous about the process and I was wondering if someone could help with a question I have.

I go to a large state school (I am in state). My problem is that throughout the first semester, I do not feel like I have made that many connections with sorority girls. I know a couple of older girls from my high school since I am in state, and my roommate has a sister who is in a sorority here who I have become friends with. Other than that, I have not really made friendships with any sorority girls. I am really worried that this will be a big disadvantage to me. What do you guys think?

Thank you.
Old 12-09-2019, 06:32 AM
Super Moderator

Why worry about something that is now out of your control? The semester is almost over. Concentrate on getting good scores on your finals. Continue to cultivate the friendships you have made. Recs might get you on the radar. Do you have them for each chapter on your campus?
Old 12-09-2019, 06:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Make sure you have recs for all the chapters. And the sororities have had you on their radar since you signed up for recruitment. Just keep on being your best self!
Old 12-09-2019, 04:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Your going through recruitment is basically one month. At this point, I would focus more on your conversational skills. Take winter break and practice what you want to say, topics you anticipate being asked. Practice with a friend, etc. Most people underestimate the importance of conversation and making a good first impression.

You only get a short time to make an impression and typically, you only meet a few girls at each chapter so you may not even talk to the ones you know. Be yourself and be genuine but that doesn't mean you have to wing it. There is something to be said about practicing your interviewing and small talk skills. Besides, you'll need them forever. I'm 49 and an introvert and I practice small talk before I go to events to this day. Its a skill I have to work at since it doesn't come natural to me.
Old 12-10-2019, 02:09 PM
Super Moderator

Not having made a lot of sorority friends can sometimes be to your advantage, you will be going in with a clean slate.

Big Trouble is when you've made a distinctly BAD impression on sorority (and/or fraternity) members, ie: being the party girl or such.
Old 12-10-2019, 03:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeychile View Post
Not having made a lot of sorority friends can sometimes be to your advantage, you will be going in with a clean slate.

That’s also better than making friends in sororities, but then overestimating how much it will actually help you when recruitment comes around. Like “I’ve been hanging out with Alpha Ashley in Psych class, so I can definitely get a bid from her chapter.” Maybe so, maybe not.
Old 12-12-2019, 05:13 PM
GreekChat Member

I wouldn't worry about it. Probably most of the PNMs don't know that many actives.
Yes, I'd concentrate more on your conversational skills and talking with strangers.
Best of luck!